Football Realignment

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Football Realignment

Postby Red4life » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 am

JMHO wrote:For Gods sake "Bam" don't give him a challenge because he will come up with something dumber.JMHO

I'm not sure if you are a fan of a particular school/team, or a Maine high school sports fan generally speaking, or neither. I've seen the demise of traditional, longstanding rivalries every time there is reclassification or realignment, and a real loss occurs each time this happens. You can't quickly replace a tradition of over a century. Now, if you happen to be a fan of a team whose school has not been in existence for very long, or has not had a football program for very many years, then this loss may be more difficult to understand.
Red4life

Postby JMHO » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am

“Red4life” – I am not a fan of any particular school team since I have moved four times since returning to Maine. I did live the excitement of a big rivalry, Rumford/Mexico, and agree the rivalry was very important to the participants and had great historical value. When the two schools merged, I along with many others from the two towns, thought the world was ending. You know what – we missed it for a number of years; we would reminiscence the great games at the end of each season; but I can honestly say that other than us older folks, no one talks about how they miss the opportunity of playing in that rivalry game. Now I am just a High School Sports fan. I occasionally watch the local team, travel short distances to watch a good match-up and really appreciate the opportunity to watch live broadcasts thanks to Munzing Media Sports. Do I cherish rivalries - absolutely! But as I mentioned above "the world did not end. New rivalries/grudge matches are formed to satisfy the current participants and we older folks can still enjoy a heated discussion about that game in November 1968. JMHO
JMHO

Postby Groucho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 am

Post by mario_spaghettio » 13 Nov 2018 18:58

If hockey is so important to the 2 or 3 Deering players who want to play why not attend PHS instead?

The two schools have completely different curriculums and and schedules. MOST kids choose either Portland or Deering based on what each school offers academically rather than for sports.
Groucho

Postby mario_spaghettio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Groucho wrote:
Post by mario_spaghettio » 13 Nov 2018 18:58

If hockey is so important to the 2 or 3 Deering players who want to play why not attend PHS instead?

The two schools have completely different curriculums and and schedules. MOST kids choose either Portland or Deering based on what each school offers academically rather than for sports.
they're free to choose what's more important to them, academics or athletics. My school offered far fewer athletic opportunities than Deering or Portland but I never felt I had the right to play any sport I wanted whether my school sponsored it or not. If my school didn't offer a certain sport I chose another sport. Simple as that.
mario_spaghettio

Postby mattyice13 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Interesting take on this yesterday from Lewiston Sun Journal:

http://www.sunjournal.com/the-hot-corne ... a-problem/

I find myself agreeing with almost everything Kalle Oakes says. It’s a culture of winning that schools like Marshwood, TA and Wells are cultivating. It will come and go sure, but right now they are the dynasties and powerhouses. Blowouts are nothing new to Maine High school football and I’m not sure class realignment or a new playoff structure is what will fix it. It’s developing youth programs and reducing coaching turnover by supporting the staff and not letting parents dictate whether a coach should stay or not like has happened in recent years with some programs in all high school sports
mattyice13

Postby SportzFan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:05 am

If realignment becomes a realty, will this mean that SoPo will no longer play their cross town rivals?
SportzFan

Postby interloper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:21 am

If they decide not to apply up to stay in A then they won't.
Of course if Cheverus or Portland decide to drop down then they can keep playing them.
interloper

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

It's disheartening to see the MPA try to fix everything based on enrollment numbers. Five years ago, SOPO almost knocked a championship TA team out of the playoffs. Four years ago, Windham stomped a championship TA team before losing a lot of guys to injuries and missing the championship game. Portland has been to how many state games in the past five or so years?

No change will make everybody a winner...and I usually don't buy into the argument against everyone getting a trophy. It makes me sad to see programs and schools just give up in the face of dominance by a few schools. In time, it is completely doable...building a youth program, building a culture, and winning again.

Changing classes around, if that is to be done, should be more well thought-out and analyze. How do other small states do this? How can we reach competitive balance?

Tough questions, but I know adjusting by enrollment number every two years sure as heck doesn't solve the problem.
TAallday

Postby BlueLine » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:11 pm

TA, we are looking at the second golden age of TA football. Highly likely that TA will win 3/4 or 4/4 no matter the realignment. Being good and having bad competition will lead to these titles. Windham will stink for at least 4 more years, while in the previous 10 they were a feared and worthy opponent. And that’s too bad. SoPo will stink for at least 3 years, as will Deering and MassiveBeeStink. Selfishly, I’d like to see Marshwood and Kennebunk playing TA, because I love competitive football. BOnny Eagle can get back to the top because of the Man at the Top, Cooper, yet they still are a far cry away from the teams 2-5 years ago. Scarborough is a one trick track pony, with a really fast guy that should make an intelligent business decision. Other than him, no one else is scary, especially in comparison to the juggernaut squad that beat the absolute crap out of TA last year. No more ballers like that for the next 4 years in A.
BlueLine

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm

I've made some suggestions in the past for Maine HS Football to consider and I'll say it again that I really like Nebraska's High School Football set up and you can see that what is in place seems to be a effort for preservation of HS Football - 6,8, and 11 Man. Nebraska is a state of 1.92 million with approx 9,000 kids competing HS Football on about 150 teams. Maine is a population of about 1.4 million and 3,500 kids competing in HS Football on about 80 teams. Those numbers are for 11-man football. Sure football is bigger in Nebraska but I think the State classification, playoff structure, rules and more are one of the best blueprints out there for smaller state football like Maine. Perhaps there are a few things in here that the MPA could consider incorporating in the future:

https://nsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/te ... /fbman.pdf

https://nsaahome.org/football/
BrowardHandicapper

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur