Sub Varsity Football

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Sub Varsity Football

Postby interloper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Who plays in the jv game is basically up to the coaches discretion. I know in the past that some teams which did not have large numbers would allow people who started on offense in the varsity game to play defense in the jv game. It was once taboo to play a non freshman in a freshman game, now it is necessary to play sophomores in first team games to make sure you have enough healthy players for a game. Some schools also play freshmen in the jv games for the same reason. So you have some players playing 2 games within 4 days.
interloper

Postby interloper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 pm

AVEFAN wrote:I know the Kennebunk freshmen played TA last week. I believe the Rams JV team will play TA as well.
Marshwood and Kennebunk are the class of B and their programs continue to excel because they are not afraid to take their lumps against the Trojans.

Kennebunk was not on the original jv schedule but that doesn't mean they won't play each other. For the last few years the TA jv and freshmen have averaged 5 games between the two programs where the original team on the schedule was not the opponent. Last year, we had 1 jv game that was changed twice before we got an opponent. In the past few years the team that we have played outside of the regular schedule have included Lewiston, Brunswick, Marshwood, Kennebunk, Wells, Greely as well as several teams from New Hampshire and 1 from Mass.
interloper

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 pm

interloper wrote:
AVEFAN wrote:I know the Kennebunk freshmen played TA last week. I believe the Rams JV team will play TA as well.
Marshwood and Kennebunk are the class of B and their programs continue to excel because they are not afraid to take their lumps against the Trojans.

Kennebunk was not on the original jv schedule but that doesn't mean they won't play each other. For the last few years the TA jv and freshmen have averaged 5 games between the two programs where the original team on the schedule was not the opponent. Last year, we had 1 jv game that was changed twice before we got an opponent. In the past few years the team that we have played outside of the regular schedule have included Lewiston, Brunswick, Marshwood, Kennebunk, Wells, Greely as well as several teams from New Hampshire and 1 from Mass.

Coincidentally the teams outside of regular schedule are 4 of the more consistent programs in the state and a program that may be on the rise in Lewiston. Glad to see TA reach out to the best options available and glad to see those teams accept the games....Win or lose as previously mentioned, sometimes it does not hurt to take your lumps for team and player development. Iron sharpening iron.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby xnbury » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am

Another week and another subvarsity change for TA.

Windham has pulled out of the scheduled freshman game on Thursday. TA will now travel an hour to Amesbury, MA to play its freshman game.

Hey, at least this one was 48 hours notice instead of 24! (and Windham isn't picking up another game, should be said).
xnbury

Postby Details » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm

And if people want to use this thread to track some JV results it might be good for "looking ahead".

Oxford Hills JV beat Lewiston in week one 24 to 0 and beat EL the other night 33 to 6. I did not see either game so have no other commentary.
Details

Postby joeschmoe2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

While I am sympathetic to TA, I think it's unrealistic to expect that this will change any time soon. TA is a victim of other schools' numbers, as well as TA's own numbers.

Next time you are at a game, count the number of kids each team has dressed on the sidelines. I watch mostly Class C and B, but it is rare I get much above 30. And a lot of those 30 are of the "tiny freshmen" variety. Ideally, yes, schools would realize that numbers are grim enough that you can't play a full JV schedule. But we all know that a robust 40 kids on a signup sheet in May can turn into 35 by August, 30 after two a days, and 25 after the first grade check. And now fielding a sub varsity team is very dicey.

TA, on the other hand, has a huge roster. There are big juniors who don't get varsity time who can best be classified as "young men." If TA wants to play a JV game with 25 juniors and sophomores, and their opponent has 15 freshmen and weak sophomores, well, that isn't going to be safe for anyone. The kids TA should be playing JV against are getting varsity reps on Friday nights.

The days of schools dressing 80 kids for Friday night home games are largely over, which means it is probably time to rethink the old model of "just play the JV game against the team you play the varsity game against." Luckily for everyone, this is something schools can do on their own because the MPA doesn't really dabble in subvarsity athletics.
joeschmoe2

Postby TAallday » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 am

The only problems I see here are the late cancellations. A team/program like TA has the drive to continue to get better every year and cancelling on them 24-48 hours before a game is not right.

Beyond giving good notice, or planning ahead and before the season, teams can do whatever they want according to me.
TAallday

Postby AVEFAN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am

xnbury wrote:It brings up other questions such as, when teams bring in JV players during a big blowout (like Saturday), quite often the offense is incredibly vanilla, basically all run plays, to kill the clock. But if JV teams aren't going to get much game action because opponents cop out so often, wouldn't it be fair for the JV players to be able to play 100%? Pass plays and so on, anything goes. And maybe the score jumps to 88-0 or something. But at least they would get some real game action. Instead, this week they will get to play one half of football full out in a scrimmage. It's a shame really.

I heard Kennebunks JV team took a knee the entire 4th Q on Sat as the score was 70-0 and my guess is coach Rafferty did not want to put any more points on the board. The JV did however get some of the 2nd and all of the 3rd Q.
AVEFAN

Postby Details » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 am

I like Joeschmoe's idea. Let them schedule whomever they want for JV games. I think one of the biggest problems highlighted is the varsity scoreboard. When Team A is dominating to the tune of 49-50 points in the first half they are pretty much obligated to put in subs early in the 2nd half which, according to most observers, obligates the team getting pounded to put in some subs as well.

Guess what? When your 2nd team puts up 3 straight scores on their 2nd team, where does that leave everyone? Well, the score is now 70-0 and the team winning does not know what to do either. The team getting pasted has a JV group that has now played a half of football and has to look forward to playing the JV group that just lit them up in 3 days! Throw in a few injuries and low morale and you have a team that probably does not want to play on Monday.

I think Schmoe's idea, especially in southern Maine, where the top A and B schools seems like they'd be better off playing each other, is to schedule a more favorable sub-varsity schedule to benefit the kids. Football, at the end of the day, is an extracurricular activity for many of the kids and should not feel like a torture or bludgeoning event. I agree that scheduling sub-varsity games against whomever you want is probably a good idea...and yes, sometimes that can change during the season. Again, to Schmoe's point, the fluidity of a team changes within a few short weeks (40 kids becomes 30...and then 25 and so on) and a team that might have thought they were on the rise and looking forward to TA is now a punching bag and licking their wounds. Tough to teach kids anything valuable on the receiving end of beatings every week.

Interesting discussion and I think Schmoe has the right idea.
Details

Postby joeschmoe2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 am

TAallday wrote:The only problems I see here are the late cancellations. A team/program like TA has the drive to continue to get better every year and cancelling on them 24-48 hours before a game is not right.

Beyond giving good notice, or planning ahead and before the season, teams can do whatever they want according to me.

I do agree with this. Schools should have an idea at least a week in advance if they have enough.
joeschmoe2

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur