New Bangor High football coach goes back to basics

post info & talk all things Football...

New Bangor High football coach goes back to basics

Postby MattyB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

New Bangor High football coach goes back to basics to end long losing streak: https://t.co/jKvPQYMDbk
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Re: New Bangor High football coach goes back to basics

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Hoping Bangor can get that W this year. Schedule does look a bit challenging coming off last season. But with nearly 60 kids coming out for football and some passionate coaching, the program can eventually build a foundation for the coming years.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby Tomahawk86 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm

I think this is certainly a step in the right direction. Can’t get much worse. I do have a genuine question though. At what point does the MPA step in and tell Bangor football is no longer a viable option? Look at the previous years scores. They are non-competitive in almost every game. If they are getting beat 50/60 - nothing again this year...my opinion the MPA should try and do something.

It kind of is heartbreaking because Bangor football was the epitome of Class A North/East football not that long ago.
Tomahawk86

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:54 am

What some states do is have have "Independent" football leagues set up. They are still still sanctioned by the state, any team can join but are usually filled by teams that are new or going through some time of transition with the program. They may range from 5-15 teams, and are set up geographically/logistically as best as possible. Some may not have playoffs some may have a 2-3 game playoff format and a league champion.
I believe here in Florida we have about 50 teams( of about 550 total) that are not part of classification, but a Independent league. It works out pretty good logistically because the teams still get 10 game seasons and are still allowed to play teams outside of their league if they wish.

For example the QB transfer Will Mitchell from Thornton Academy transferred to a team The Nation Christian Academy which happen to be part of a Independent league: http://www.maxpreps.com/league/sqTkMQy2 ... endent.htm

however they still play a few teams outside of their league.

Not sure if these leagues exist in Maine or if they could ever be of benefit to Maine HS football to keep the sport alive while these team go through some tough times to get back on their feet- like Bangor. It seems in Maine that everyone wants to be part of and is graded on a classification letter next to their name and it is that way or the highway ....Trust me, I am not the guy that thinks everyone should get a trophy, but perhaps the preservation and purity of the sport (FUN) needs to be applied to the equation in certain circumstances.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby Tomahawk86 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Broward,

Great post! I followed and first hand experienced (viewed) high school football in a few other States (West Coast and Midwest) . A lot of programs in those States they view success by division/district titles and not so much emphasis on State games being a measure of success. A lot of times teams play another team a Class or two below/above them if close in location or tradition and some even play teams across state lines in meaningful games that count on the win/loss record.

It seems like the MPA is beginning to do that with crossover games. Which I think is a great thing.Others disagree. Maybe...the MPA can do some research into something along more divisional/districts and not solely base opponents on enrollment. Clearly it isn’t working for some in the State of Maine. Bangor being a prime example.
Tomahawk86

Postby MattyB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Bangor football undergoing culture change under Morris: https://t.co/PbsT22yisl
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby crusaderhoops » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:55 am

The MPA should do nothing in Bangor’s situation. The only entity that can and should fix Bangor’s current situation is Bangor. I strongly believe they are on the right path of doing just that. Football is viable in Bangor...the demise of this program in my opinion was many years in the making...even while the varsity product was good its infrastructure was crumbling beneath.

While the program has been non-competitive at the varsity level the past two seasons, I also believe Coach Mosca helped lay the groundwork at the youth levels. He surrounded himself with very good football people. In Dave Morris they have a leader who kids will literally run through a wall for. Failure is not final...Bangor football will rise again not needing help from the MPA.
crusaderhoops

Postby augie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 pm

crusaderhoops wrote:The MPA should do nothing in Bangor’s situation. The only entity that can and should fix Bangor’s current situation is Bangor. I strongly believe they are on the right path of doing just that. Football is viable in Bangor...the demise of this program in my opinion was many years in the making...even while the varsity product was good its infrastructure was crumbling beneath.

While the program has been non-competitive at the varsity level the past two seasons, I also believe Coach Mosca helped lay the groundwork at the youth levels. He surrounded himself with very good football people. In Dave Morris they have a leader who kids will literally run through a wall for. Failure is not final...Bangor football will rise again not needing help from the MPA.

Great post! Mosca was doing all the right things to get this program back to the top. Too bad he couldn’t see it thru. Coach Morris will do a great job as well.
augie

Postby wings » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:11 pm

augie wrote:
crusaderhoops wrote:The MPA should do nothing in Bangor’s situation. The only entity that can and should fix Bangor’s current situation is Bangor. I strongly believe they are on the right path of doing just that. Football is viable in Bangor...the demise of this program in my opinion was many years in the making...even while the varsity product was good its infrastructure was crumbling beneath.

Great post! Mosca was doing all the right things to get this program back to the top. Too bad he couldn’t see it thru. Coach Morris will do a great job as well.

Bangor played with enthusiasm today in the Bangor-Lawrence-Lewiston scrimmage at Keyes Field. Good numbers too for Bangor. Best to Bangor moving forward.
wings

Postby Hoops34 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:04 am

Bangor will be back,all this talk about them for the past few years was eventually going to go away.Not too long ago they were the top of the North.They will get through this transition and be fine.
Hoops34

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur