Fitzpatrick Award 2017

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Fitzpatrick Award 2017

Postby Port88 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:41 pm

I originally picked Thorne, Bryant, and Garrard.

While there are several great players, I stand by my selections.

Thorne is the most effective two-way player of the bunch. He has been a three year starter and contributed on both sides of the ball for three excellent teams that contended every year and won states last year. He is a player that seems to be bigger than his stats and gave his team toughness and an edge:
Senior Stats - http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nick-th ... awards.htm
Senior Highlights - http://www.hudl.com/profile/4630703/nick-thorne
If you are all about the two way player, Thorne is your guy

Bryant was the most prolific player of the bunch. Career 6,045YDS/65TD's. Senior Season 2,545YDS/35TD's. Played in the most competitive divison in football. Played great in final two games upsetting Kennebunk and taking Marshwood to the rivet. Panyi and Bryant were the best QB's I saw and Bryant had more production over senior year and career and did not have the same running game to support him.
Senior Stats/Highlights - http://www.get.hudl.com/profile/3957564/jack-bryant
If you are all about production, Bryant is your guy.

Garrard was the best RB in Class A on the State Champion Team. More importantly, he was the "man" as the program rose to prominence. He was the best player as they beat TA and BE this year. Unfortunately, no stats!
Senor Highlights - (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5386503/owen-garrard/videos)
If you are all about the Class A Bellcow RB that saved his best for last, Garrard is your guy.

Other Comments:
-While TA, Marshwood, and Kennebunk have excellent players, no seniors stood out in my mind like the 3 above.
-Garrard and Thorne face competition from their own teams, I believe only 1 candidate is considered per team.
-I've heard great things about Pelletier but never saw him play
-There are a lot of great players I may have missed, fortunately I believe there are ten players selected.
Last edited by Port88 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Port88

Postby mewrestlinglife » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

From us Wells fans.....

Nolan Potter is a 3 year starter and won back to back state championships. At 6’ 2” 210lbs he rushed for 1,500 yards as a fullback and was hard to take down.

Also led a linebacker core that was one of the best in the state at any class....
mewrestlinglife

Postby TAallday » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 am

Potter is a valid suggestion.

I will stick with Bryant as my favorite and Garrard as my number two, but a kid like Potter very well could win.
TAallday

Postby TheSwarm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

All of the kids being mentioned in this thread are worthy of this award and picking a finalist is not going to be easy.
Just my two cents as a football fan from the Turner area with no kids in the program, the QB from Leavitt (Tim Albert), has got to be mentioned in the mix. Watched this kid play all last season and this season and he was quite impressive to watch. Basically ran the ball like a fullback and had a cannon for an arm. From what I hear he led his class in passing and rushing yards for a QB and was a finalist for player of the year for the Campbell conference. I'm sure his stats are impressive and whatever they are they were put up with him being taken out in most games by halftime. Ran the read option to perfection and even faked out the refs on several occasions. He has a high GPA and also does a bunch of community service, an all-around great kid.
Like I said, there are many athletes deserving of this award but I figured something needed to be mentioned about this kid as well. Good luck to everyone!
TheSwarm

Postby jpballing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:39 pm

I feel as Garrard is without a doubt the frontrunner, but there are some people that should not be forgotten. How about Potter? This kids numbers are insane. I feel as if this list should be much larger... Who are your dark horses?

Also, do we know who has been nominated from BE? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Thorne... My dark horse however is their QB. According to max preps, he has almost 1800 total yards, almost 30 total td, and in the games I saw him was a pure leader. He may be in Thorne's shadow on here, but he is my dark horse if nominated... Seems like a smart kid on the field, well see if thats the case in the classroom as I believe it will be.
jpballing

Postby Port88 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

With the release of the semi-finalists it's time to update the conversation:

My original picks were Garrard, Bryant, Thorne.

We have to remove Thorne, only because he is no longer a semi-finalist (unfairly I think).

I think now the conversation becomes Garrard, Bryant, Sirois, and Potter, who seems to have gotten significant support on this board.

IMO the most important criteria is career production. While Potter and Sirois had excellent Senior years, Bryant has hands down the best career production (65 TD's and over 6,000 yards) from what I can find online.. While I haven't seen career production numbers for Garrard, it feels like he's been excellent for 3 years as a starter.

Can anyone find his career TD's/Yards?

Can we get career production numbers for Potter and Sirois?

TAAllDay...what are your thoughts here?
Port88

Postby TAallday » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Port88,

I am still going to lean toward Bryant winning. All of the others are valid choices and if they won, I would be fine with that.

I just think the resume of Bryant is extremely impressive. He really helped Falmouth's program grow and develop into a B contender, which was no easy feat.

Garrard is a beast and I think he might be Maine's best player, but obviously, he had a ton of help in winning last year and this year. One hell of a player, but I think Bryant gets the nod.
TAallday

Postby jpballing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Anyone know grades and community service of players? I know that plays a role as well and may make an impact?
jpballing

Postby TAallday » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 am

I can only speak for Houde of TA. I know his grades are solid and that people in the community think highly of him.
TAallday

Previous

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur