Field hockey playoffs 2017... scores / recaps

post info & talk all things Field Hockey...

Re: Field hockey playoffs 2017...

Postby SJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:06 am

Saints fight off Lisbon to move the regional semifinals

...The top-seeded Saints certainly had their hands full against No. 8 Lisbon at home, but ultimately had too much power for the visiting Greyhounds.

Lisbon gave its all in the first half, but two goals from Hannah Trottier-Braun in the final minute of the opening frame helped lead the Saints run away with a 4-0 victory.

"You figure the first 10 minutes in the playoffs, everybody would be strong," Kay said. "We went to watch (Lisbon) on Saturday and this was a different team that we played today then they played against Traip. We seem to bring out the best in a lot of teams, which is good. All in all, we adjusted to it. After we got that second and third goal, the momentum changes."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ls/2218549
SJ

Postby SJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 am

Winthrop field hockey rolls past Central in C North quarterfinal

...Kinli DiBiase scored three goals while Moriah Hajduk notched the other two for the Ramblers, who outshot the Red Devils, 14-2.

"We just focus in on what we do well," Winthrop coach Jessica Merrill said. "You have to rely on what you do well, rely on your skills and rely on each other. I almost like it a little bit more because of that."

"We just wanted to play how we know to play, bring out the intensity and score quickly so we can keep up the intensity," DiBiase said.

DiBiase provided that early spark by taking a feed from Hajduk in front, rebounding her shot off a cluster of Central defenders and firing a low laser past Central goalie Tori Hallett 2:16 into the game.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ng/2218494
SJ

Postby PPH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:12 am

Biddeford scores in OT to beat Kennebunk
Peyton McKeown scores with 16.6 seconds left as the Tigers advance to the regional semifinals.

...Biddeford (13-2) will play in the semifinals for the first time this century, at top-ranked Scarborough (14-1).

“We’re happy because we know we’ve accomplished a lot this year,” said Albert, adding that this was the first time since 1995 that the Tigers won 12-plus games. “But the girls are itching for so much more.”

The Tigers certainly were pushed by the Rams, who finished 11-5 with two losses to Biddeford.

Kennebunk led 2-0 early in the second half and had the first good opportunity in overtime, when its leading scorer, Britney Gregoire, dribbled through two defenders into the circle, only to have Biddeford goalie Taylor Wildes slide out to smother her shot.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/17/f ... kennebunk/
PPH

Postby PPH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 am

Scarborough eliminates Falmouth
The top-ranked Red Storm score in the first half to beat the Yachtsmen.

...The Yachtsmen (7-9) were a dangerous No. 9 seed, having won 4 of 5. They had not played Scarborough since Sept. 1 (a 3-1 Red Storm win).

“Falmouth has never really been blown out. They’re always in it,” Scarborough Coach Kerry Marriello said. “This is a playoff game. There’s no such thing as standings and rankings. Everyone is equal.”

Scarborough played nearly the whole first half in Falmouth’s end with six shooting attempts (to none by Falmouth) and with a 5-0 edge in penalty corners.

“We were just nervous going into this game,” Falmouth Coach Robin Haley said. “Scarborough has such an incredible team and such a rich history in field hockey.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/17/f ... -falmouth/
PPH

Postby PPH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 am

Recaps from 10/17 - PPH

York advances in field hockey
The top-ranked Wildcats win 3-0 to reach the Class B South semifinals. YORK — Natalie Panteleos scored twice Tuesday to help top-ranked York defeat eighth-seeded Fryeburg Academy 3-0 in a Class B South field hockey quarterfinal. York (12-2-1) will be home Friday against fifth-ranked Lake Region (8-7) in the semifinals. Sydney Bouchard had two assists and added a goal with under seven minutes left. Julianna Kiklis made three saves for the shutout. Bridget Fahey stopped eight shots for Fryeburg (5-10).

CONY 1, MT. ARARAT 0:
DIRIGO 3, NORTH YARMOUTH ACADEMY 0:
SKOWHEGAN 11, EDWARD LITTLE 0:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/17/t ... ld-hockey/
PPH

Postby Seacoast » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:24 am

YORK 3, FRYEBURG 0: Wildcats begin bid for Class B four-peat

...“I think those losses that we had only fueled as to get better,” York senior Sydney Bouchard said. “And I knew in the practices after those losses we had to work hard to get to where we are now and make sure we do well in the playoffs.”

Bouchard scored the game’s final goal late in the second half and assisted on both of classmate Natalie Panteleos’ goals.

“I told them that I don’t think it was our best game, but we did what we needed to do to win the game,” York coach Barb Marois said. “I think they responded well in the second half. I think we were a little off in the first half. In the second half, I thought we picked it up and controlled most of the play.”

http://www.seacoastonline.com/sports/20 ... -four-peat
Seacoast

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 am

Nokomis field hockey upsets top-seeded Winslow
Warriors gain edge in defensive battle with Black Raiders.

...“It feels great, I think we’re all in awe right now,” Nokomis coach Taylor Lovely said. “But we’ve worked hard for this all season. We were ready to come and play today and showed up to play. It’s a great feeling.”

Winslow ends its season with a record of 14-1-0.

“We had our opportunities for sure,” Winslow coach Mary-Beth Bourgoin said. “I can’t even remember the number of (penalty) corners we had that we couldn’t convert. There were opportunities there. I never underestimate Nokomis, their tradition, so that when it comes time for the playoffs, they’re ready to go. They definitely came to play, and they were really on today for sure. It was a highly contested and hard-fought game, it just didn’t go our way.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/10/17/ ... d-winslow/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby CM Newspapers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 am

Cony field hockey outlasts Mt. Ararat in overtime
Kami Lambert converts penalty corner for win.

...“When there’s an overtime, you get that feeling like in your gut,” Lambert said. “You have to get the ball in the cage so you’re really focused and in tune to what’s going on.”

The Eagles held an edge in play in the first half despite Cony’s 6-1 advantage in penalty corners. Jessica Lee made three tough saves in the half and Cony picked up its defense in the second half.

“Mt. Ararat came ready to play and, right off the bat, we knew it was going to be a game today,” Cony coach Holly Daigle said. “We had a tough time transitioning the ball up the field in the first half. We talked that everybody has to be a defender and we made that adjustment in the second half.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/10/17/ ... -overtime/
CM Newspapers

Postby CM Newspapers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 am

Gardiner field hockey blanks Foxcroft in quarterfinals
Tigers advance to Class B North semifinals.

...For a defensively-minded coach like Gardiner’s Sharon Gallant, Bourassa’s efforts couldn’t have been more apropos.

“We give stickers for outstanding defensive plays. Bourassa came up after the game pointing ‘two,’ and she said, ‘Two stickers,'” Gallant said. “I think (defense) is how you win games, in all honesty. It’s a focus for us. I was very pleased to see them respond as well as they did. I liked that. I like when the ‘D’ is doing their job.”

Maggie Bell scored late in the first half to put the Tigers on the scoreboard, while Madelin Walker padded the lead early in the second half. The two goals were more than enough for Gardiner.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/10/17/ ... terfinals/
CM Newspapers

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 am

Play-off Schedule for 11/18

A North quarterfinal:
#6-Bangor vs. #3-Mt. Blue, 3 p.m.
#7-Hampden Academy vs. #2-Messalonskee, 3:30 p.m.

A South quarterfinal:
#6-Westbrook vs. #3-Cheverus, 3:30 p.m.
#7-Thornton Academy vs. #2-Massabesic, 6 p.m.

B North quarterfinal:
#10-Brewer vs. #2-Belfast, 3 p.m. 
#6-Hermon vs. #3-MCI, 3:30 p.m.

B South quarterfinal:
#6-Greely vs. #3-Poland, 3:30 p.m.
#7-Leavitt vs. #2-Yarmouth, 4 p.m.

C North quarterfinal:
#6-Mt. View vs. #3-Boothbay, 3 p.m.
#7-Orono vs. #2-Dexter, 3 p.m.

C South quarterfinal:
#6-Mountain Valley vs. #3-Sacopee Valley, 3:30 p.m.
#7-Oak Hill vs. #2-Spruce Mountain, 3:30 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Field Hockey: Maine High School & Amateur