Winthrop puts away Dirigo

post info & talk all things Field Hockey...

Postby SJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:04 am

...It took just 14 seconds for the Ramblers to score the go-ahead goal, and it stuck in a 2-1 MVC field hockey season opener at Kelsey Ann Stoneton Memorial Field.

"They responded the way I wanted them to," Merrill said. "We executed like we should have."

"We all talked about we need to all get to our spots and execute in the circle," junior Bre Feeney said. "It was crossed when we were all in our spots and I got open."

Feeney was to the left of the goal when Elle Blanchard's cross from the right came in. The ball made its way through traffic, then Feeney made sure it made its way into the back of the goal, and made sure her team didn't waste what was a solid first effort of the fall season.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... go/2190833
SJ

Re: Winthrop puts away Dirigo

Postby CM Newspapers » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:18 am

Winthrop field hockey edges Dirigo in season opener
Late goal holds up for Ramblers in 2-1 victory

...“We all talked about we need to get to our spots and execute in the circle,” Feeney.

The Ramblers dominated most of the game with an aggressive attack and solid two-way play from juniors Moriah Hajduk and Kate Perkins. They out-shot the Cougars 5-1 in the first half and got on the scoreboard with a pretty goal from DiBiase, the team’s lone senior. Perkins sent her away with a high aerial pass from midfield down the right sideline and DiBiase did the rest, turning the corner on a defender and beating Morrow with a tough-angle shot.

“What we work on a lot is curling, which is going down diagonally then curling horizontally down the baseline,” DiBiase said. “Then usually we look to cross it up but I didn’t see anyone up so I just said ‘OK I might as well try it.’ And I just stuck it right behind the goalie because it was right inside the opposite post.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/08/30/ ... on-opener/
CM Newspapers

Return to Field Hockey: Maine High School & Amateur