AA North/South

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

AA North/South

Postby 4 Flat 4 Life » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Going into the new year, who are the contenders?
Any surprises?
4 Flat 4 Life

Re: AA North/South

Postby LennyH » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Surprises

Windham at 7-0, only undefeated team in AA. Granted they have not played the "meat" of their schedule, but have found a way to win close games continuously.

Massabesic at 1-6 is the exact opposite. Played pretty much everyone tough, but can't seem to get over the hump.

Biggest take-a-way so far, AA both North and South is pretty wide open, with any number of teams having a shot at advancing to State Championship Game.
LennyH

Postby SMAAGirlsBball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:08 am

Windham does have double digit wins vs Portland and EL who were both pre season favorites and any win @ Bangor is a good win. Looks like Windham and OH will battle for the North top seed.

In the South I was surprised to see Scarborough over Gorham. Looks to be a three team race with SP, Gorham and Scarborough.

I thought Deering would be a little better, but I also heard their top player broke her arm and is out for a while.
SMAAGirlsBball

Postby brendanfontaine » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:11 am

Windham & OH have impressive records so far but if you compare the difficulty of schedules in the AA North, EL’s has been the hardest by far. If EL got to beat on Massabesic, Bonny Eagle, Noble, Bangor, Lawrence or God willing Fryeburg like Oxford Hills and Windham have EL’s record would be among the best. In the AA South I don’t see anyone beating a healthy Gorham with MacKenzie. Next year AA South will be wide open. The good news is that the best will rise to the top when it matters come playoffs.
brendanfontaine

Postby bulldog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:31 pm

AA North is very competitive...and I would say that any of the teams in AA north can beat each other on any given day. They all have had strong games and some easier games against lower classes due to travel constraints. I would say that ELs schedule isn't that much stronger than any of the teams in AA north...that win versus Mt. Ararat doesn't seem to be much different than any of the other teams wins against classified schools. Actually looking at things, Bangor's losses have come against Windham (by 4), Portland (by 2) and Oxford Hills. Maybe they have had the toughest schedule to date or has it been Portland. That being said, the teams play the schedule given to them by the conferences and geographic location of the schools. Most games have been very competitive and each of the teams have good players, although some teams seem to have more depth than others.
bulldog

Postby 4 Flat 4 Life » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 pm

EL may be lucky they don’t play Bangor every night!!!
4 Flat 4 Life

Postby SMAAGirlsBball » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am

With a handful of games left-

AA North
1. Oxford Hills- Looks to be the favorite
2. E.L- 2nd only because Windham has looked bad lately
3. Windham- After losing their best player to injury they have struggled
4. Portland- If they get healthy they may make a decent run
5. Bangor
6. Cheverus
7. Deering- Getting Haines back any day should help
8. Lewiston

AA South
1. South Portland- Most talented, deepest, most athletic
2. Scarborough- Loves to shoot 3's and no one seems able to defend it
3. Noble- Playing well
4. Gorham- Have the best player but no supporting cast
5. BE- Could be a tourney dark horse
6. Sanford
7. Massabesic
8. TA
SMAAGirlsBball

Postby HoopHopeful » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:19 pm

North: Agree it will be OH & EL

South: So PO , Scar & Gorham (not in any order)

- Gorham struggled mid season last year and ended up in the state final. I would not count out their supporting cast nor would I bet against Holmes. I watched them come back last night after being down almost 20 points. I watched two teams Monday night that both have players who need to decide how important their season is. If it's important to them, they have enough individual ability & talent to both vie for a state title. It starts with the right mindset, in my humble opinion.
HoopHopeful

Postby LennyH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Agree with HoopHopeful's assessment. I think last year could have been more expected - it was a young team with little experience who continued to get better as the season progressed. This year, lot's of pieces back, but injuries and inconsistency (tossed in with some weird stuff) have plagued the Rams. Hoping they learned a lesson last night about coming out to play 32 minutes, if you want to be a championship team. After being down 21 in the 2nd half, forced OT before losing, but the showed a lot of heart. Need to see that effort for full games, if last years run is going to be duplicated.
LennyH

Postby Hendu » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:51 pm

SP is certainly not overlooking anyone. Their first half last night at home against Deering was fantastic - very good on the ball and team defense, rebounded, moved the ball very well and made shots. In the end they held Deering to only one 3-pointer (in the first half) and ZERO 2 point FGs for the game and I can't recall a AA or A team going a whole game without a 2 point FG. Deering did get to the line and made FT's (14 of them) but getting shots off were difficult for them. SP is deep and have several players that play togh man to man defense. I am looking forward to seeing an improved Noble team (who is 3rd in the Heals at this time - I am sure no one predicted that), as well as upcoming games with Gorham, EL and rematches with Portland and Cheverus. Their final 5 games will get them ready for the tournament.

Scarborough is playing very well and oozing with confidence, Holmes makes Gorham a legit threat as we know. Noble is so improved - can they handle being a top seed and likely 'favored' in a playoff game for the first time in years? BE has enough talent and grit to scare teams. I think Sanford, Massabesic and TA would have to play almost 'perfect' games to upset a SP, Scarborough or even Gorham - but you never know.

In the North, OH still seems to be the team to beat, but we know what can happen when you are the 'favorite' ad I am sure EL will be a tough out in the tourney and I have a funny feeling that Portland could 'upset' a higher seed
The more Windham plays without H. Talon (bid loss) and gets comfortable doing so, they could end up in the North Final.

Basically 2 weeks left - since all the teams in AA make the tourney all that is left is jockeying for position. Should be fun.

Enjoy it.
Hendu

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur