That time of Year "Class AA Predictions"

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

That time of Year "Class AA Predictions"

Postby runninandgunnin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Hard to believe we are in the final stretch of the season with 14 games played for most teams. The apparent front runner for the AA South girls is South Portland with a 13-0 record and looks to return to the AA South Championship for the 3rd straight year. Scarborough and Bonny Eagle have been putting up the good fight and are battling to make it to the South Championship game. Gorham has fallen off a bit but has some nice pieces still in place that could surprise some folk come tournament time.

The North looks like it could be anyones game. The most concerning component is Portland who recently knocked off Cheverus but then falls to Bangor. Oxford Hills has all the pieces in place with strong post players and floor generals that may just place them at the top for AA North Champions.

My prediction as it stands today AA South Champs - SP vs AA North Champs - Oxford Hills in the State Final

Just my opinion and a lot may change, but this is why they "Play the game" the landscape could change from night to night.

Good luck to all teams!
Last edited by runninandgunnin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
runninandgunnin

Re: That time of Year "AA Predictions"

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:18 pm

My Picks:

1. So Po
2-10 Doesn't matter, no one beats number #1

You heard it here first...
HoopHopeful

Postby oscar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Going out on a limb with that statement
oscar

Re: That time of Year "Class AA Predictions"

Postby runninandgunnin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 pm

My Picks:

1. So Po

It could happen, but OH and Portland are contenders too. Scarborough is young but experienced. Gotta love tournament time.
runninandgunnin

Postby ExpoEddie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 pm

SP should be the favorite out of South. Not sure Scarborough has enough to get by them. OH or Dogs from the North. North will take down SP. SP does not respond well to pressure. Graff best player I have seen this year and second only to Holmes. Tip my hat to Holmes, playing like a champ even though surrounding talent has dropped off considerably.
ExpoEddie

Postby runninandgunnin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 am

HoopHopeful wrote:My Picks:

1. So Po

You heard it here first...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! EL 45, SP-44. Whodathunkit!
runninandgunnin

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 am

SP has trouble getting to 50. That puts a lot of teams into play.
ExpoEddie

Postby runninandgunnin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am

runninandgunnin

Postby runninandgunnin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am

Watched the Cheverus vs Oxford Hills game last night streamed on MBR.org. Oxford Hills was firing on all cylinders. Disrupted Cheverus play altogether. Oxford Hills with outside scoring threats, great guard slashing to the rim, commanding rebounding with great effort and all around unselfish play clearly places Oxford Hills as the favorite to win the States this year (my opinion only). I was also impressed with Ms Hartnetts interview as player of the game. She could not provide enough positive remarks for her team and how well they work together. This I believe is a direct reflection of Coach Pelletiers work. I don't see anyone being able to contend with this team. All the pieces are there. One interesting part to the game was in the 3rd quarter when Coach Fifield yanked his starters and they didn't see the floor again for the remainder of the game. Honestly if I were the coach, I would have benched them too from what I could see. Next group in, although young, played with passion and determination. The result wasn't good but one thing I noticed is that the second group played harder than the first group and they were actually more effective. I think Coach Fifield was communicating something here!!

Anyway my prediction is Oxford Hills as the State Champs. There just appears to be too much togetherness. Kuddos to Coach Pelletier and assistants if I am reading this the right way. Rare these days.
runninandgunnin

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Concur. Co-worker has daughter for Cheverus. Post is exactly what he told me this am. ? as to how Coach's comments in the paper play out with team, parents and Administration.
ExpoEddie

Next

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur