Deering holds off Portland in a holiday thriller

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:04 am

PORTLAND—Deering’s girls’ basketball team wasn’t given much of a chance when the 2017-18 season commenced and Thursday evening at the Portland Exposition Building, the Rams didn’t look like they had much of a chance against the new look Portland Bulldogs when they fell behind 8-0 in the first quarter.

But this Deering squad is discovering its identity and like many Rams editions of the past, its toughness and promise are going to pay big dividends as the winter progresses, something the Bulldogs learned the hard way in a countable game in front of a large and vocal crowd at the Red Claws Christmas Showcase.

Deering, thanks to the steady of play of junior veterans Delaney Haines and Mandy Mastropasqua, shook off its slow start and erased its early deficit by the end of the first quarter, as a Haines runner tied the score, 10-10.

http://www.theforecaster.net/deering-gi ... -thriller/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Deering holds off Portland in a holiday thriller

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:20 am

Second-half spark lifts Deering past Portland
Victoria Garand helps the Rams beat the Bulldogs

...Garand was happy to play a pivotal role in such an important game.

“This was a big win because the Portland-Deering (game) is always a rivalry,” said Garand. “It felt good to be able to help my team out by getting a few points, rebounds and fouls (on Portland). I think I came out a little off in the first half. In the second half I was ready.”

Mastropasqua had nine of her 16 points and Haines had 12 of her 18 before intermission, when Portland led 27-25. Deering Coach Mike Murphy said he noticed Portland keying on those two scorers in the third and fourth quarters.

“Victoria was the difference in the second half. I didn’t think they could handle her, and they didn’t. Delaney and Mandy carried us in first half and in the second half Portland worried about those two and it opened the lane for Victoria.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/28/g ... -portland/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur