Play-off thread: Class B

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: Top 10 Teams preseason: Class B - ongoing thread

Postby EasternMaineSports » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:28 pm

EasternMaineSports

Postby county hoopster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am

Reading a couple of the posts, it would appear that either a hometowner of Caribou is stirring the pot, or a parent has an axe to grind. Looking at their roster, they are very young. 4 sr(2 I would suspect start) 1 jr, 5 soph, and 1 frosh. I know success has been few and far between for them over the last several years, given their 22-99 record with the last administration. I too am optimistic about them this winter. Now with a new coach who will breathe new air into program which has been stagnant for quite some time, it will take some time, but they do have talent on that team. Coach Richards is more than able to coach that team. As far as her asst. coach being strong minded, good for him. I believe he’s a retired career armed forces man with high rank. Played for Caribou back in the day. Of course he’s going to strong willed, to the point, no BS. NOTHING wrong with that. The ones that have a problem with a coach like that are usually the parents who coddle their kids. In this world of everyone gets a trophy, and “my kid isn’t playing enough” complaining parents, there’s nothing wrong with a little discipline. And the comment about men on the bench at a tourney this summer, I believe she only has 1 male asst. Not quite sure where they are going with that one.
county hoopster

Postby lovethegame » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:21 am

county hoopster wrote:Reading a couple of the posts, it would appear that either a hometowner of Caribou is stirring the pot, or a parent has an axe to grind. Looking at their roster, they are very young. 4 sr(2 I would suspect start) 1 jr, 5 soph, and 1 frosh. I know success has been few and far between for them over the last several years, given their 22-99 record with the last administration. I too am optimistic about them this winter. Now with a new coach who will breathe new air into program which has been stagnant for quite some time, it will take some time, but they do have talent on that team. Coach Richards is more than able to coach that team. As far as her asst. coach being strong minded, good for him. I believe he’s a retired career armed forces man with high rank. Played for Caribou back in the day. Of course he’s going to strong willed, to the point, no BS. NOTHING wrong with that. The ones that have a problem with a coach like that are usually the parents who coddle their kids. In this world of everyone gets a trophy, and “my kid isn’t playing enough” complaining parents, there’s nothing wrong with a little discipline. And the comment about men on the bench at a tourney this summer, I believe she only has 1 male asst. Not quite sure where they are going with that one.

Sorry county hoopster, I'm not a parent of a player on the team. As a matter of fact, I have no ties whatsoever to the girls program in Caribou other than the fact that I used to live up in the County, have coached in the County (I am currently coaching elsewhere, thank goodness), and know many people from the Caribou, PI, Limestone, Washburn, CA, Houlton areas. True, there are a few ladies on this year's Caribou team that have some talent, however, "a new coach who will breathe new air into a program which has been stagnant for quite some time," a couple girls with some talent, and a "strong willed" JV coach who doesn't take no BS doesn't automatically add up to instant wins, no matter how you cut it. Hopefully, they'll be able to pick up a few wins, but with their schedule, anyone who is knowledgeable about Class B girls basketball and the County teams knows that they've got a tough road ahead of them and will be lucky to win 4 games. That's not being mean or cruel or complaining, that's being realistic. Coach Richards coaches JV girls soccer, varsity softball, and now varsity girls basketball at Caribou. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that the girls aren't starting to get tired of her, especially since they have her as a teacher in school. And to go another step further, I thought that the school district had something in place so one person couldn't monopolize the coaching positions in the district and be a head or JV coach in multiple sports. With more qualified candidates available during the interview process I'm still kind of taken aback at their hire of her. But now that she's there and the season is ready to begin they must keep pushing forward and continue to rebuild the program. I remember watching her play at PI. I have no doubt that she'll develop into a wonderful coach after several years of experience, and I'm sure she'll do her best with this Caribou program if she's allowed to stay for a number of years. But in reality, knowing all the facts and the unwinnable situation that the athletic department has set her up to be in, there is almost no chance that they have a winning season. I wouldn't even tease the thought of a mediocre season hovering around .500.

I do agree with your assessment of the trophy generation parents and the parents that have to coddle their kids and fight all their battles for them. As a coach, I get extremely tired of it myself. Some days we end up teaching our players more life lessons than we do actual coaching.

The best thing that could come out of this season, besides a win-loss record, is seeing the team improve as a whole and hoping each individual player can develop and become better players by the end of the season than they are right now. If Coach Richards is heading into the season trying to win every game that they come into, then it's going to be a long and dreary season. However, if she's planning for the future, coaching for the future, and working to develop her players as she looks 3-4 years down the road, then she and the program will be fine. They need to look at it as a long process that's going to take time and they've got to be willing to work for it. Trust me. I've been on all sides of it. I've helped certain programs rebuild, certain programs maintain, and certain programs win a championship. None of it is easy. It's not just about playing time and having the right last name. It's about putting the time in, earning your stripes, building character, and developing some friendships/relationships along the way. There's a lot of learning to be done within the Caribou girls basketball program and if Coach Richards takes things in the right direction then they could take their first step towards the rebuilding process.

I wish them luck this year. I hope everyone involved learns patience.
lovethegame

Re: Top 10 Teams preseason: Class B - ongoing threadlik

Postby county hoopster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48 am

You have good points. From the rumour mill of who applied, she was by far the best choice, in my opinion, and you know what they say about those. Hopefully they’ll surprise us hoop fans. Like I said , 22 wins in the last 10+ yrs is criminal. It wouldn’t take much to get some of those back this winter. Like you said, in a couple of years with who they have and some youngsters coming up, they will be fun to watch.
county hoopster

Postby CountyCat10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

"Coach Richards coaches JV girls soccer, varsity softball, and now varsity girls basketball at Caribou. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that the girls aren't starting to get tired of her, especially since they have her as a teacher in school. And to go another step further, I thought that the school district had something in place so one person couldn't monopolize the coaching positions in the district and be a head or JV coach in multiple sports. With more qualified candidates available during the interview process I'm still kind of taken aback at their hire of her"

I'm a little confused by this?? Do you think there was more qualified candidates for this job? Wouldn't you want the best coach coaching all your sports even if that means one person coaching two sports? just curious
CountyCat10

Postby lovethegame » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 pm

CountyCat10 wrote:"Coach Richards coaches JV girls soccer, varsity softball, and now varsity girls basketball at Caribou. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that the girls aren't starting to get tired of her, especially since they have her as a teacher in school. And to go another step further, I thought that the school district had something in place so one person couldn't monopolize the coaching positions in the district and be a head or JV coach in multiple sports. With more qualified candidates available during the interview process I'm still kind of taken aback at their hire of her"

I'm a little confused by this?? Do you think there was more qualified candidates for this job? Wouldn't you want the best coach coaching all your sports even if that means one person coaching two sports? just curious

To answer your first question, yes. That's just my own personal opinion too. Sorry, I do not believe that she was the most qualified person for the position. Like I stated in my last post, I hope things work out in the long run, but there will be no quick fix no matter how optimistic everyone is.

To answer your last question about one person coaching multiple sports. No, it's not a good thing when one person, let alone a teacher in the same school as the student-athletes, is a head coach of more than two sports or coaches more than two sports of the same gender. There will be certain students that she sees everyday in class and then everyday in the sport she's coaching. Even if the coach is the best coach you could have, student-athletes still need variety and to learn from different people. If that person were the only option because no one else applied or no one else would do it and the school asked them to take the position in order for the program to keep going then that is a different story. But when an athletic department, administration, and school board all sign off on one of their own, who already coaches two other sports, well, that's not bringing variety. That's monopolizing and the higher ups should know better. Just my two cents from seeing a lot of crap and being involved with many programs that try to do stuff right.
Last edited by lovethegame on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovethegame

Postby CountyCat10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 pm

To answer your first question, yes. That's just my own personal opinion too. Sorry, I do not believe that she was the most qualified person for the position. Honestly, out of the three people that were interviewed I would say she would have been third on my list. I know the qualities and characteristics of the other two candidates and in my opinion there was one person who should have gotten that position, hands down, for many reasons, but when politics rears its' ugly head weird decisions are made. Like I stated in my last post, I hope things work out in the long run, but there will be no quick fix no matter how optimistic everyone is. Even if one of those other two candidates had been chosen the road back for this program was going to be long.

To answer your last question about one person coaching multiple sports. No, it's not a good thing when one person, let alone a teacher in the same school as the student-athletes, is a head coach of more than two sports or coaches more than two sports of the same gender. There will be certain students that she sees everyday in class and then everyday in the sport she's coaching. Even if the coach is the best coach you could have, student-athletes still need variety and to learn from different people. If that person were the only option because no one else applied or no one else would do it and the school asked them to take the position in order for the program to keep going then that is a different story. But when an athletic department, administration, and school board all sign off on one of their own, who already coaches two other sports, well, that's not bringing variety. That's monopolizing and the higher ups should know better. Just my two cents from seeing a lot of crap and being involved with many programs that try to do stuff right.[quote][/quote]

I really like your response to the second question, you make a lot of valid and respectful points. I've heard both sides of the argument and I like what you said about your side. BUT I can't agree with you in regards to the first question (I guess we'll have to agree to disagree) because Cody Thompkins and Brain Massey are good people/decent coaches but Coach Richards was the clear cut choice here.
CountyCat10

Postby MBC24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

1. Yarmouth (546)
2. Cape Elizabeth (537)
3. Gray-NG (532)
4. Lake Region (512)
5. Freeport (494)
6. Poland (462)
7. Wells (432)
8. Oak Hill (420)
9. Spruce Mount. (408)
10. Mountain Valley (407)
11. Maranacook (390)
12. Lisbon (336)
13. Sacopee (332)
[/quote]

For the South:
1. GNG
2. LR
3. Freeport
4. Wells
5. Yarmouth

Knocking on the door of top 5: Poland
Admittedly I have not seen Mt Valley, Oak Hill and Maranacook yet this season. Freeport could make a jump up depending how well the newcomer adjusts and picks up Coach Harts system. I suspect she will quickly.
MBC24

Postby lovethegame » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

I really like your response to the second question, you make a lot of valid and respectful points. I've heard both sides of the argument and I like what you said about your side. BUT I can't agree with you in regards to the first question (I guess we'll have to agree to disagree) because Cody Thompkins and Brain Massey are good people/decent coaches but Coach Richards was the clear cut choice here.

I'm thinking you're new to this forum County Cat since you only have replies in the mid-teens and are having trouble with quoting. If you want to quote a poster's entire reply then just click the "Quote" button in the upper right hand corner of that poster's reply. Hope that helps.

Now, being the courteous person I am, I wasn't going to mention any names of the other two candidates just out of decency and confidentiality in case it wasn't public knowledge.

I agree with your assessment that we'll have to agree to disagree. You obviously have a dog in this fight and are not able to be as open-minded to this situation as I am.

I hope the season goes smoothly for all of those involved.
Last edited by lovethegame on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovethegame

Postby county hoopster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

I don’t know, after reading lovethegame responses, call me crazy but it sure seems like it’s personal, like, I didn’t get the job personal. Neither here nor there, coach Richards is the coach and I wish her the best of luck with the Vikings.
county hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur