Kingsbury is new girls coach in Mars Hill

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu May 25, 2017 3:57 am

MARS HILL, Me. (WAGM)- The Central Aroostook Panthers have a new girls basketball coach. Dylan Kingsbury has been named the new coach, Kingsbury has varsity coaching experience with the Easton and Houlton boys teams. He has coached softball in Katahdin and been an Assistant girls soccer coach in Presque Isle. He replaces Cody Tompkins.

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/Ki ... 67644.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Kingsbury is new girls coach in Mars Hill

Postby Claude » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 am

Bittersweet.
Claude

Postby lovethegame » Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 am

I know Dylan. Good coach. I coached against him when he was at Easton. He is a very particular and methodical coach. Without sounding too negative or pessimistic, I will say this, if they didn't like Cody Tompkins at CA, then they're not going to like Dylan Kingsbury. Dylan's coaching style and theatrics are not everyone's cup of tea. With the right players, parents, administration, and community members Dylan can be a very successful coach almost anywhere. However, I don't see his run at CA being very long. I'm not afraid to say that I can see his stint at CA lasting 2 or 3 years. I hope I'm wrong. I hope that they allow him to build a program that can be successful. There is some good talent coming up through the girls program now and over the next few years, so there is plenty for Dylan to work with. I fear the complaints will start early in the regular season and steadily grow.

I wish Dylan the best of luck ad I personally know what he is capable of, but I am fearful of what is most likely ahead.
lovethegame

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Just curious. Is he related to the Kingsbury who played at PI. Left handed and outstanding low post player and fierce competitor.
ExpoEddie

Postby wilson93 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 pm

I would think Mr. Kingsbury is an upgrade if he learned from his prior position. Lets not forget, Mr. Tompkins had two varsity programs down there, boys soccer and girls basketball and was not renewed for either. It's easy to blame parents for this but if you have been paying attention to all of his coaching jobs you would find that most of the issues were created by him. He may consider spending some time at the sub varsity level.
wilson93

Postby lovethegame » Mon May 29, 2017 3:15 pm

wilson93 wrote:I would think Mr. Kingsbury is an upgrade if he learned from his prior position. Lets not forget, Mr. Tompkins had two varsity programs down there, boys soccer and girls basketball and was not renewed for either. It's easy to blame parents for this but if you have been paying attention to all of his coaching jobs you would find that most of the issues were created by him. He may consider spending some time at the sub varsity level.

wilson93, I find it odd that recently you have only respond to my posts on the CA girls basketball issue the past couple of weeks. Three times on the 'Openings' thread you responded after I had posted something, and now you have responded for a fourth time on this thread. You better be careful with what you post about and what you say. Not to get too personal, but I know who you are, as I'm sure several other people on here do, and I can certainly bet that you have no clue who I am. I know for a fact that you think I'm Cody Tompkins, which I am not. I know Cody and have actually talked to him several weeks ago, but I am definitely not him. However, being the person that you are with all of your responsibilities, I would think that you would want to steer clear of a public message board such as this one, so you wouldn't post something that you might regret later on. You've tried in an earlier post to find out who I am and how involved I am in the sports politics at CA. I am no where near Mars Hill. But I will say this. Since I know who you are, I could be standing right next to you at any point, and since you don't know who I am you would have no clue that I was right next to you. I bet if I told you my name you still wouldn't have the slightest clue who I was.

Beyond who knows who, I would like to put in my two cents worth concerning your comments on Mr. Tompkins two varsity positions at CA and whether we "have been paying attention to all of his coaching jobs." Previous to his coaching stints at CA he coached the girls varsity basketball team at Hodgdon high school for one season and then he coached the girls varsity basketball team at Ashland for one season. His one season at Ashland was also his first season as the boys soccer coach at CA. So he had been the boys soccer coach at CA for three years and the girls basketball coach for two, along with being the AD for two years. Anybody who knows anything at all about basketball, or high school sports in general, knows that Mr. Tompkins had close to zero talent at either of his first two positions, so with almost no talent, very little to build on, and no immediate ties, there wasn't much holding him to either position. Also, consider the fact that he was living in Easton at the time and going to college at UMPI. The drives down to Houlton/Hodgdon or out to Ashland from the Easton/Presque Isle areas get quite tiresome after four straight month, so it was good for him to find something much closer to home. A 10-15 minute drive is much better than a 45-60 minute drive, especially during the winters in the County. During his two years at Hodgdon and Ashland he put just as much effort and drive into developing and improving his teams as he did once he was at CA. Unless you know what's being done from a coach's perspective you really have no clue as to what we, as coaches, put into our programs. In some cases it can be quite awe inspiring to those who are not familiar with the process. Once at CA though, with both the boys soccer and the girls basketball, he started to bring stability to both programs. It is true that he was not everyone's friend, that he did some things that not everyone agreed with, and that he stuck to his guns when dealing with most issues. In the long run though, those programs and players are better off for it. Not everyone can always get their way. It's up to administration, ADs, coaches, and teachers to set their foot down and say enough is enough. Some people, who are even stronger willed than most, will say, the buck stops here and we're going to do things the right way and follow the rules. Along those lines, some of those people are also intuitive enough to be able to look further down the road and start planning for the future. Parents, players, and fans all want everything now. We live in an age of instant gratification and everybody wants what they want immediately. Certain people of Mars Hill and a lot of fans of CA all point their fingers and play the blame game with Mr. Tompkins for trying to do the right thing and plan for the future. Personally, I applaud Mr. Tompkins for having the fortitude of trying to deal with a broken situation, knowing that he's going to get backlash but hoping that people could still see through the smoke and be appreciative of what's about to come a few years down the road, in both soccer and basketball. It can't be denied that the boys soccer team got better each year and this season they even made it to the Class D North semi-finals as the 5 seed, losing to Fort Fairfield. With the girls basketball program it was in the process of turning into something that had not been done there in quite some time. Teaching players to play a good man to man defense after they've spent their entire elementary lives playing a poor 2-3 zone defense is a hard thing to do, and he was doing it in small steps. Sure, there were some funky lineups he threw together and some questionable decisions made, but when you're revamping a program that's hesitant to follow through and the older players don't want to listen, sometimes you have to make some drastic moves to prove a point that will hopefully help your players learn a life lesson. As I posted once before, I don't agree with everything he did, but as a coach, I understand why he did them and I backed him the whole way because I knew how good the end result could be in a couple more years.

You also mention at the end of your post that, "He may consider spending some time at the sub varsity level." All coaches could benefit from spending some time at the sub varsity levels. Personally, I believe that's what helped me out the most as a coach. I started out at the middle school level and worked my way up through. I believe that I did it the right way, gaining experience along the way and learning from good mentors. Mr. Tompkins didn't have that luxury. He was baptized by fire, and it was a cruel fire at that. He was in a no-win situation at both places prior to CA and all he could do was the best he could and learn from his experiences. There's no doubt about it that he got the short end of the stick. He didn't deserve what happened to him just because a few of you wanted something different than what he was providing. You can puff your chest out and pat yourself on the back for what a good job you and the other parents did, or you can take preventative steps to make sure that CA starts to head in a better direction than it has been going in the past decade. But, from seeing what happened with Mr. Tompkins over the last two years and his strong moral compass, I think it's easy to see that the "DRAMA MAMA's" are setting their foot down saying we think we can do it better than someone who has been trained to deal with these situations.

Like I said wilson93, knowing who you are, it's going to be entertaining watching the theatrics unfold at CA over the summer and through next school year. I'm going to keep a close ear to the happenings up there and keep the popcorn ready.

Good luck to Coach Kingsbury.........he's going to need it. ;)
lovethegame

Postby wilson93 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Then I would say stop in when you are in the area and we will discuss over a beer.
wilson93

Postby lovethegame » Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 pm

wilson93 wrote:Then I would say stop in when you are in the area and we will discuss over a beer.

Hmmm.....enticing! I'll bring the beer, you bring the maple syrup. I know where you can get some.
lovethegame

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur