openings

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: openings

Postby lovethegame » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:59 pm

loboscountry wrote:CA is a tough place to coach; but I don't think the AD position is quite as bad as someone who posted here makes it seem. Mr Shaw was there a number of years and retired. Mr Guerrette was there for around ten years and left to take a much higher paying job outside of education. His replacement, Mr Thurlow, stayed only a short while and moved from the area when he got a job downstate. ( Again with a step up in pay and position )

Parents did NOT drive any of them out.

Mr Tompkins, was under the gun from day one. May people thought that he abandoned his two previous teams when he went winless at Hodgdon and Ashland. Mars Hill was closer to home, so it did make sense for him to cut way down on travel.

He got his teams to post season, despite being frequently second guessed. He still has a lot to learn; but what young coach doesn't? He certainly put in the time.

He wasn't ready to be an AD and only took the job when no one else applied. I think most of the coaches, officials and media liked Mr Tompkins; but the majority of them would tell you he had shortcomings.

Coach Tompkins will resurface again someday. He has a passion for the game and will coach again, I'm sure. He is a QUALITY person , and those types of people always get a chance.

AD Tompkins is probably not ready to be a HIGH SCHOOL AD and he will be the first one to tell you.

I think Mrs Bradbury will do just fine as an AD, ( time will tell) A lot of people are waiting to see who she recommends for the basketball position.

And to the person who thinks CAHS will be a top four team this year; remember they are going to be in Class C now, with Houlton and Calais. They may not have enough HEAL points on their schedule to get to the top four, no matter who coaches.

loboscountry, why not just direct your entire post to me instead of saying, "to the person who thinks," or "as someone who posted here said," etc... Unlike a lot of people today, I am thick skinned and don't get my feelings hurt so easily. Since I was the major contributor of the comments to the CAHS posts, I think it's fair to say that you were replying and directing your comments toward me, and that's ok.

In response to your response. I didn't say that the AD position was as bad as the coaching position. I said that it's starting to turn out that way, as in starting to head down the same road that the girl's basketball position has already been on for a while. I never said parents drove out the ADs prior to Mr. Tompkins. However, they did drive him out of both positions.

You are correct in saying that Mr. Tompkins is young and still needs to gain experience as a coach and an AD, but I do believe that he was doing a decent job as the AD. As far as his coaching is concerned, well, he was starting to make changes and it got cut short. As anyone who has coached or been around the coaching arena for many years should know, you don't just step in to any program and expect them to pick up on what you want them to run and how you expect them to adjust to you. It takes time. The past two years Mr. Tompkins had players from the previous coach's program, and he had to deal with inexperienced younger players. The head coach of any program needs to be able to get down into the lower levels and work with the elementary and middle school players. They need to get all of the coaches in the program on the same page so they can develop skills and have consistency all the way up through. Mr. Tompkins was working on that. Those athletic, yet inexperienced freshmen and sophomores, were the start of that process. He needed two more years before the program was truly full of "his" players. People don't understand this, but it's hard to take a program that has done nothing but play poor zone defense and only been successful because of their offensive athletes, and turn them into a man-to-man defensive team. It takes time. Man defense is the correct defense to play with this group of girls. They are small, quick, athletic, and can run all game. Mr. Tompkins was working towards doing a lot of full court man pressing and mixing in a little bit of zone at specific times. However, you don't just jump from a poor 2-3 zone defense where all the girls just stand in their spots and hardly move, to an active, in your face full court man pressure defense over night. By the time these freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors, had Mr. Tompkins still been their coach, you would have seen a much different team than you've seen over the past two years with him. I guarantee you that this summer there would have been a huge transition phase where those 7th and 8th grade girls would have been brought up during open gyms and summer games and been introduced to what the next four years of their basketball lives would have been like. That's not going to happen now. Cody understands that times are changing. You can't just sit in a 2-3 zone all game any more. You can't just rely on one or two star players any more. As the head coach of any athletic program you have to get down into the lower levels and develop the players at a young age and get them buying in to the program's philosophy. I don't care where you live, and I don't care what you think you know about any sport. If you think you can continue to play the same style for 10, 15, 20+ years and be successful, then you are sorely mistaken. Cody saw the writing on the wall with this group of girls and the next group coming up through and he knew he had to make a drastic change. It was going to take time and everyone accepting the change, but as we all know, people in northern Maine, especially the County, don't take well to change. Hopefully, whoever the next coach is, they will continue down the path that Cody was trying to pursue, but only time will tell.

Finally, I did say that the CAHS girls could finish in the top 4 next year, but that was before the new enrollment and classification numbers came out. Yes, they're going to be up in Class C. However, their schedule is not going to change hardly at all. They might drop a Class D school in the attempts to pick up another Class C school, but beyond that, their schedule is going to remain a mix of mostly D's with a few C's. Also, this next part is going to play into everybody's scheduling problems as well. The high school portion of Limestone Community School is going to most likely consolidate with Caribou. If that happens, it will cause C to lose a team and everybody who normally has them on their schedule will have to find other teams to fill those spots. MSSM will probably not carry a basketball team, at least not for the first few years, so there will probably not be that safety net there. I predict that CAHS will try to pick up the games with Fort Kent that Limestone left vacant. That would satisfy the needs of both teams as FK would not lose a C team on their schedule and CAHS would be able to keep that much needed C on their schedule as well. But, just for laughs, if you look at the heal points from this winter you will see that CAHS finished with a TI of 83.95, which was good enough for third in D North. If you were to place them in C North this winter, that would have only been good enough for eighth place, and they probably would have lost their prelim game to Narraguagus at home. As far as next year is concerned, it all depends on who the new coach is, how many girls come out to play, how everyone transitions from Coach Tompkins to the new coach, and how much drama all the parents and players feel as though they need to inject into the program. If they are lucky enough to finish as high as 12-6, they might be able to get an 8-10 seed. But if they go something like 10-8, 9-9, or 8-10 it could mean they'll end up fighting for one of the last prelim spots or just missing out.

I know that Coach Tompkins is not everyone's cup of tea when it came to his ADing and coaching tactics. Like you said, he is a young coach and still has much to learn, as does any young coach. It's just too bad that the district, some of the parents and players, and community members didn't give him more time. Personally, I agreed with some of the things he did, and I didn't agree with some of the things he did, but as a coach, I understood why he was doing everything he was doing. I know that it's a process and it takes time to bear the fruits of your labor. Not everyone is going to always get along. But at least everyone has the ability to work together for a greater cause then themselves. Coach Tompkins understands that and was trying to teach that.

He will definitely resurface somewhere though. Whether as a head coach or assistant, he will be on the sidelines again soon. I want to wish him the best of luck, and I want to wish CAHS the best of luck with their new AD and in the search for their new girls' basketball coach.
lovethegame

Postby Claude » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 am

I guess the days of 10 year coaches is gone...
:cry:

I still can't get over CAHS in Class D.
:?
Claude

Postby Lwyrup » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 am

To get into the C tourney you should not schedule more than 6 D games ,because you don't know how good they are going to be ,how many Heals you can get from them. A good C schedule for them would be Houlton, Calais, Mad, FK, FF, and Hodgdon. Or drop the D's and add Cen, Lee and a weekend road trip to a coastal C. If MDI, Ells, PI and Caribou can do it then CA can do it, back a few years FK and GSA played, get on the bus at 6:00 Saturday morning and get home at Midnight.
Lwyrup

Postby lovethegame » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am

Lwyrup wrote:To get into the C tourney you should not schedule more than 6 D games ,because you don't know how good they are going to be ,how many Heals you can get from them. A good C schedule for them would be Houlton, Calais, Mad, FK, FF, and Hodgdon. Or drop the D's and add Cen, Lee and a weekend road trip to a coastal C. If MDI, Ells, PI and Caribou can do it then CA can do it, back a few years FK and GSA played, get on the bus at 6:00 Saturday morning and get home at Midnight.

I hear what you're saying Lwyrup, but I don't see CAHS giving up their rival games and shorter travel schedule. As their schedule tends to be over the last several years I would say it's going to look something like; Class D - Washburn 2, Southern Aroostook 2, Easton 2, Van Buren 2, Ashland 2; Class C - Madawaska 2, Fort Fairfield 2, Hodgdon 2. That gives them 16 games. They lose 2 games with Limestone. If they pick up Fort Kent then there's their 18 game schedule. 4 Class C schools and 5 Class D schools.

One would think that they would drop one or two D's and pick up one or two C's, but let's be realistic, they're most likely not going to want to add on the travel. Houlton makes perfect sense and they go right by when going to Hodgdon, but Houlton isn't going to give up their Big East schedule that's loaded with B schools that they can beat and will prepare them for the tournament. Same can be said for Calais, plus CAHS won't want to make the trip down. There's no other C schools within a reasonable travel distance I could see CAHS willing to add to their schedule. The reasonable schools would be Woodland and Lee, but once again, travel. Out of all of possible Class C schools they could pick up that would make sense for them, I would have to say that Woodland fits best. They could easily drop Van Buren or Ashland and pick up Woodland. Will they, who knows?
lovethegame

Postby Lwyrup » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 am

lovethegame wrote:
Lwyrup wrote:To get into the C tourney you should not schedule more than 6 D games ,because you don't know how good they are going to be ,how many Heals you can get from them. A good C schedule for them would be Houlton, Calais, Mad, FK, FF, and Hodgdon. Or drop the D's and add Cen, Lee and a weekend road trip to a coastal C. If MDI, Ells, PI and Caribou can do it then CA can do it, back a few years FK and GSA played, get on the bus at 6:00 Saturday morning and get home at Midnight.

I hear what you're saying Lwyrup, but I don't see CAHS giving up their rival games and shorter travel schedule. As their schedule tends to be over the last several years I would say it's going to look something like; Class D - Washburn 2, Southern Aroostook 2, Easton 2, Van Buren 2, Ashland 2; Class C - Madawaska 2, Fort Fairfield 2, Hodgdon 2. That gives them 16 games. They lose 2 games with Limestone. If they pick up Fort Kent then there's their 18 game schedule. 4 Class C schools and 5 Class D schools.

One would think that they would drop one or two D's and pick up one or two C's, but let's be realistic, they're most likely not going to want to add on the travel. Houlton makes perfect sense and they go right by when going to Hodgdon, but Houlton isn't going to give up their Big East schedule that's loaded with B schools that they can beat and will prepare them for the tournament. Same can be said for Calais, plus CAHS won't want to make the trip down. There's no other C schools within a reasonable travel distance I could see CAHS willing to add to their schedule. The reasonable schools would be Woodland and Lee, but once again, travel. Out of all of possible Class C schools they could pick up that would make sense for them, I would have to say that Woodland fits best. They could easily drop Van Buren or Ashland and pick up Woodland. Will they, who knows?

People are blaming AD's, Coaches, and parents, but should look at their commitment to the the schools program, and that includes scheduling and travel . The parents have to put in the time and money to the budget if they want a positive outcome, and not blame the coach when they won't do their part.
Lwyrup

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Massabesic interviews yesterday. Up to 8. Looks like they are in line to get strong choices to make a selection from. Very well represented committee with solid questioning. Very good process should get them a positive end result.
ExpoEddie

Postby loboscountry » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 am

Houlton can't keep a Big East Schedule , if they are no longer in the Big East. It is rumored that they have indeed added CA to their schedule next year.

Again, that is rumored, but we'll all know when one of the schools release their schedule
loboscountry

Postby lovethegame » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:15 pm

loboscountry wrote:Houlton can't keep a Big East Schedule , if they are no longer in the Big East. It is rumored that they have indeed added CA to their schedule next year.

Again, that is rumored, but we'll all know when one of the schools release their schedule

If that is true, then it is a great pick up for CA travel-wise. The girls will most likely get their butts kicked in basketball and the boys games could be interesting. What is the rumor of who they dropped from Class D? I'm assuming Wisdom, Ashland, or Van Buren. Any mention of picking up Fort Kent?

Why can't Houlton keep a Big East schedule? They were in the Big East before when they were in Class C, then they moved up to Class B for two years and kept it. Now that they're back down in C they can't keep it? There must be a reason.
lovethegame

Postby dunbar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:26 pm

lovethegame wrote:
Why can't Houlton keep a Big East schedule? They were in the Big East before when they were in Class C, then they moved up to Class B for two years and kept it. Now that they're back down in C they can't keep it? There must be a reason.

Houlton was never in the Big East when they were in Class C. PVC, yes, but not the Big East. They used to play a mixed Aroostook/PVC schedule.
dunbar

Postby lovethegame » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

dunbar wrote:
lovethegame wrote:

Houlton was never in the Big East when they were in Class C. PVC, yes, but not the Big East. They used to play a mixed Aroostook/PVC schedule.

Ah, yes, true. I remember now that they used to play teams like Schenck, Lee, etc.
lovethegame

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur