MPA approves changes for Class AA basketball tourney

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:14 am

... Those quarterfinal matchups will be played on the same dates as preliminary rounds in other classes. Like those prelim games, the Class AA quarterfinals will be played on the home floor for the higher seed in each game. From there, the regional semifinals until state championship rounds will be played at neutral sites.

MPA Executive Director Dick Durost said these changes were made in an effort to accommodate the Class AA's unique geography. The class is made up of fewer teams than others, and Bangor High School is the only school North of the Lewiston-Auburn area.

Also included in the change, Class AA's tournament will be played in Portland, rather than Augusta, for the regional semifinals and finals. The location for the state championship game has not yet been determined.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... ll-tourney
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MPA approves changes for Class AA basketball tourney

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 am

State AA basketball tourney returning to Portland

Earlier today, the Maine Principals Association approved a new two-year plan that returns the AA boys and girls state basketball tournament to Portland after a one-year hiatus.

http://wgme.com/sports/content/state-aa ... o-portland
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 am

MPA adopts new ‘AA’ basketball format, eyes better tourney experience

... “They suggested some ideas and we worked together to come up with this solution,” Fuller said. “It’s a credit to them to be willing to say we’ll go down to Portland for those semis and regionals, and they wanted something in return and that’s the opportunity to host the quarters. We agreed and understood their issues of travel, and I think this is a fair compromise.”

Another change to the Class AA postseason format will qualify eight schools or the top two-thirds of competing teams, whichever is greater, for tournament play in each region.

That means all eight schools in Class AA North and South boys and Class AA North girls will advance to regional quarterfinals while eight of the nine Class AA South girls schools will qualify for postseason play.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/31/s ... -portland/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:42 am

Class AA tournament moving to Portland

...Joe Russo, coach of two-time defending Class AA state champion Portland, applauded the move. The Bulldogs have played in Augusta the last two years, often in late starts and in front of sparse crowds.

“That’s awesome,” he said. “The ones who are going to benefit are going to be the family and fans. They’re the ones who really missed out. The players will play anywhere and they don’t care what time the game starts. Once the ball is tossed up, it didn’t matter if it was midnight or 2 in the morning, they were going to play.

“Now, not only are you guaranteed a better crowd, but the people who supported you are going to be able to go to the game too.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/31/h ... -portland/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby moredribble1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Another experiment, at least the schools affected had their say and the policy for the AA tournament was not dictated by the smaller schools who are well represented in voice within the MPA. Imagine if our US constitution gave Maine the same voice ( like the senate ) without the house to represent the largest states.

I do regret those kids not getting the opportunity to play at the Expo. The cross center is horrible for HS basketball .

I still think that some teams could have been moved up and others shuffled to larger classes to avoid a situation of an open tournament in our largest class.

Since mr Durost stated that it's not all about money ;) who gets to keep the gate of the home team quarter finals and will they be crawling with suited MPA representatives milling about the gyms while getting reacquainted with old buddies. Who will pay their travel, housing and meal stipends? Will the games break down into chaos if they are not their to observe?
moredribble1

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

moredribble1 wrote:Another experiment, at least the schools affected had their say and the policy for the AA tournament was not dictated by the smaller schools who are well represented in voice within the MPA. Imagine if our US constitution gave Maine the same voice ( like the senate ) without the house to represent the largest states.

I do regret those kids not getting the opportunity to play at the Expo. The cross center is horrible for HS basketball .

I still think that some teams could have been moved up and others shuffled to larger classes to avoid a situation of an open tournament in our largest class.

Since mr Durost stated that it's not all about money ;) who gets to keep the gate of the home team quarter finals and will they be crawling with suited MPA representatives milling about the gyms while getting reacquainted with old buddies. Who will pay their travel, housing and meal stipends? Will the games break down into chaos if they are not their to observe?

moredribble: Your user name "more dribble" is an appropriate name and description coming from the mpa in keeping 5 classes for basketball. History had 4 classes since 1961 to 2015 or 54 years.

I agree the Expo is a far better place for basketball then that hockey rink known as the CIA. I played their in 1955 my senior year in HS and it had a balcony going around it. It has been done over very nicely by the City of Portland.

AA tourney Games should be held and run like the basketball prelim games which are considered parts of the A B C D basketball tournaments games which are held or at least they where when I retired form ADing in 2000.

Also baseball, softball, football, soccer, field hockey tournament games were held (and I still believe that is the way it is still today) at the higher seeded team.

There were no mpa reps supervising those games, usually just the 2 AD's of the schools involved.

Game played at high seed team's home site. Take gate, pay expenses, and then split profit with lower seeded teams.

If they lost money at the gate then the two schools involved had to split the loss which probably didn't happen too often..
bcbc55

Postby moredribble1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 pm

bcbc55.. Thanks for the well presented answers to my somewhat sarcastic questions. If I understand this correctly this is a nice payday for all teams involved if the revenue is shared equally after game and site expenses. I do find It rather difficult to grasp that the MPA is not getting part of the revenue from these quarterfinals in one way or another. :mrgreen: Sounds like a good deal for the AD's and the budget but in a sense something is lost from both teams getting on a bus, going on a road trip as a team and playing the quarterfinals on a neutral court with the atmosphere of the tournament as the site is full with kids from everywhere. These games will not only be played at the same time as the prelims but they undoubtly will have the same feel of a preliminary game. It's great though that all the smaller classes will actually get to experience the excitement of having earned the right to get on the bus as a team and to go play on the big stage in the traditional tournament with all eyes on them. I suppose I'm a purist at heart as I have always enjoyed going to a quarter final and getting to watch two teams back to back until I am asked to vacate and pay again to watch two more.
Here is some more o the point dribble my friends......Why in hell do these Yahoo!'s at the MPA have such a need to tinker ( you can substitute your own word for tinker ) with something that has worked well for many years. From the open tournament for all. To now 5 classes with AA north with 8 teams and AA south with 9. To cutting down the games kids can play. To an open tournament only in AA. To byes and now quarterfinals that are exactly like prelims and are in reality played like prelims but sold to the public as quarterfinals. Thank God these want to be liberals aren't running this country. Well bcbc55, what do you think about a little honesty or is this likely to offend, shock, and appall this crowd that's in power. Simply more proof that we have lost our way.
moredribble1

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm

moredribble1 wrote:bcbc55.. Thanks for the well presented answers to my somewhat sarcastic questions. If I understand this correctly this is a nice payday for all teams involved if the revenue is shared equally after game and site expenses. I do find It rather difficult to grasp that the MPA is not getting part of the revenue from these quarterfinals in one way or another. :mrgreen: Sounds like a good deal for the AD's and the budget but in a sense something is lost from both teams getting on a bus, going on a road trip as a team and playing the quarterfinals on a neutral court with the atmosphere of the tournament as the site is full with kids from everywhere. These games will not only be played at the same time as the prelims but they undoubtly will have the same feel of a preliminary game. It's great though that all the smaller classes will actually get to experience the excitement of having earned the right to get on the bus as a team and to go play on the big stage in the traditional tournament with all eyes on them. I suppose I'm a purist at heart as I have always enjoyed going to a quarter final and getting to watch two teams back to back until I am asked to vacate and pay again to watch two more.
Here is some more o the point dribble my friends......Why in hell do these Yahoo!'s at the MPA have such a need to tinker ( you can substitute your own word for tinker ) with something that has worked well for many years. From the open tournament for all. To now 5 classes with AA north with 8 teams and AA south with 9. To cutting down the games kids can play. To an open tournament only in AA. To byes and now quarterfinals that are exactly like prelims and are in reality played like prelims but sold to the public as quarterfinals. Thank God these want to be liberals aren't running this country. Well bcbc55, what do you think about a little honesty or is this likely to offend, shock, and appall this crowd that's in power. Simply more proof that we have lost our way.

moredribble: Here comes another long rant. I agree with your post for the most part.

To answer your questions you have to know the history to fully understand why things are the way they are.

Unless things have changed in the non basketball tournament games since 2000 then what I said about the tournament games for those other sports is the way it was done when I was ADing.

Prior to the early 70's there was only Boys football, boys X-country and girls cheering in the fall, boys basketball and girls cheering in the winter and boys baseball and boys track and Field in the spring.

There were no girls sports until the early 70's and many more sports were added throughout the years and still being added today like LaCrosse.

So prior to the early 70's the teams that made the boys basketball tournaments each school received the same amount of money for each tournament and state game that they played in. (If I remember correctly and it has been almost 50 years, it was about $300 per game per team per each tournament game and state final a team took part in)

Plus, they had their travel, lodging and meal expenses paid for out of the receipts of the tournament and state games.

When I was at Orono High School from 1962-69 we participated in 16 tournament games and 3 state final games, so the money we made per game helped out with the schools athletic budget along with covering travel and meal money.

We didn't get lodging expense money as we stayed in our own beds, Only teams that had to stay overnight because the tournaments were held 3 consecutive days in a row-B and D on Mon-Tue-Wed. A and C on Thurs-Fri-Sat. not spread out like they have been for years.

It is more of a real tournament when the games are played on consecutive days and reduces the costs for teams that have to travel back and forth.

The only back-to-back games in Bangor are the C semis and finals on Friday and Saturday of February vacation week. I have often wondered why the mpa does not rotate B C and D so that only happens to a class once every years instead of the C teams having to do it every year.

So today there is "HELICOPTER parent pressure" about playing time, back in the old days there was a little "FINANCIAL pressure" to make the tournament and to go as far as you could. i would take the FINANCIAL PRESSURE OVER THE HELICOPTER PARENT PRESSURE, but that is another complete mpa story.

Today with the addition of girls sports because of title 9 and the addition of many new boys and girls sports the profit from the basketball and cheering tournaments go to help run and finance the other non money making athletic tournaments and state events.

Based on my experience , it is my opinion the 2 main reasons that the mpa decided by membership vote to go to 5 classes and uneven divisions 2 years ago and are continuing it again for 2 years is because:

1. mpa makes more money with 5 tournaments then they did/do with 4 tournaments.....However, I wonder if the mpa realizes that when there were 4 tournaments that the mpa held B C D during vacation week and the A tournament was run a week end later and had the stage all to itself for the regional A semi-finals and finals and state games. They only shared the stage with B C D state games as they held the A quarter-finals the same day on the Saturday that of the other classes B C D on that same weekend. I wonder if the mpa didn't make more money that way then they did with having 5 tournaments.

2. My 2nd reason is when I was AD and basketball coach at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor might be because when I was a classification committee member I understand that if the mpa went back to 4 classes some schools could possibly have to stay in class A B or C where they were before they went to 5 classes 2 years ago or some may have to move up a class because of their change in enrollments to even out or balance out the 4 classes evenly North/South or back ti East/West.

So the 5 class proposal gets approved in committee and then sent to the entire mpa membership who then votes to keep the 5 class divisions for another 2 years.

It is just like the government at any level...follow the money and the special interest lobbyists and groups (some schools) protecting their own turf.

The basketball tournaments and the cheering tournaments are...stop a second and think about this... in my opinion... are nothing more than a big exploitation of the participants as they raise the money to run all the other non profit making mpa interscholastic sports tournaments and state events.

So it appears the end (5 uneven divided classes and 5 tournaments in North and South and long road trips on school nights) justifies the mean (more money and satisfying the special interest schools) to the mpa.

What really is in the best interest of Maine high school basketball, the players and their schools is having 4 evenly divided classes both North and South not 5 classes that are divided up unevenly.

5 classes forces some schools especially the AA schools to have long road trips on school nights during the regular season schedule of games. This is not educationally sound and certainly not in the best interest for the players when they get back late and then have to be in school for 8:00am classes the next day.

If they have to have the 5 classes why can't the schedules have the long road trips scheduled for weekends and Christmas Vacation Days and the shorter trips during the week nites.

This was not a problem when their was just 4 classes because their was no North South, it was East and West which did not have many long road trips.

Just my own opinions based on my 65 years involved in Maine High school Interscholastic Athletics as a basketball player, coach, AD, official and fan.

I could be all wrong and if any body can prove me wrong on anything I have posted above please don't hesitate to correct me and I will apologize to the Augusta mpa Office, the classification committee, the basketball committees and the mpa membership, IF and that is a BIG IF I AM WRONG.

How's that for a history lesson and "MORE mpa DRIBBLE" for you "more dribble" and was my post OK to answer your question: "what do you think about a little honesty or is this likely to offend, shock, and appall this crowd that's in power"? ??????????????????????????????????????????

Is this enough to "simply more proof that we have lost our way"?

Only likely to offend, shock and appall anyone that does not know the history, facts about.... following the money and the special interest groups.
bcbc55

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur