BDN unveils 41st All-Maine Schoolgirl Teams

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

BDN unveils 41st All-Maine Schoolgirl Teams

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 am

Let's see who you all think the top players are ... post them or email tom@mbr.org
5 per team ....

!st team:
2nd team:
3rd team:

Honorable mention:

BDN to unveil 41st All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team on Saturday

Last winter, approximately 3,000 girls on 142 teams across Maine participated in high school basketball.

Along the way, many of the state’s most talented players helped their teams win conference, regional and state championships. Others turned heads for their tremendous individual performances without the benefit of a stellar supporting cast.

On Saturday, the Bangor Daily News will honor the elite girls basketball players in the state when we unveil the 41st BDN All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/28/s ... -saturday/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: BDN to unveil 41st All-Maine Schoolgirl Team on Sat. 4/1

Postby Therealslimshady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am

BDN always does a really nice job of researching and compiling a fair and representative list for the entire state. They also put some time and thought into their selections and do some nice writing about those selected.
Therealslimshady

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:11 am

1977 All-Maine team helped set tone for 40 years of girls basketball growth

Like any athlete who cherishes the memories of her playing days, Mari Warner still owns a scrapbook containing photographs and articles from her time as a basketball player at Thornton Academy of Saco and the University of Maine.

While those are a great reflection of wins, losses and times spent with teammates, the impact Warner and the 14 others selected to the first Bangor Daily News All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team in 1977 continues to be felt.

“Girls have more opportunities,” said Warner, a physical education teacher at Falmouth High School who became a coach and was on the sidelines with the University at Albany as that program went from Division III to Division I in 1999.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/30/s ... ll-growth/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Therealslimshady » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am

My predictions in order for the 3 teams.

1st: Esposito, Bouchard, DeWolfe, S. Holmes, Butler
2nd: M. Holmes, Wheaton, Butler, Wajer, Reynolds
3rd: Higgins, Blethen, Peach, Cavallaro, Bell
Therealslimshady

Postby Bigticket » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

You have Butler 2x and M. Holmes should be on first team without question. Best post player in the state of Maine!
Bigticket

Postby HoopHopeful » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:35 pm

[quote]Re: BDN to unveil 41st All-Maine Schoolgirl Team on Sat. 4/1
Post by Therealslimshady » 31 Mar 2017 15:34
My predictions in order for the 3 teams.
1st: Esposito, Bouchard, DeWolfe, S. Holmes, Butler
2nd: M. Holmes, Wheaton, Butler, Wajer, Reynolds
3rd: Higgins, Blethen, Peach, Cavallaro, Bell[quote]

Slimshady, how many times do we have to tell you put names in alphabetical order... Can we get some law and order on this board... :lol: I'm thinking Turner should make one of these rows and I agree with Speeding Ticket, M Holmes should be in the first row.
HoopHopeful

Postby Therealslimshady » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Sorry BigTicket. I got typing too fast. M. Holmes should be on the first team and the second Butler should be Aube. I will agree I overlooked Turner and would place her on the 3rd team. Rather than displace someone I will just say she should be there. I agree M. Holmes is a super player and I think she will be listed 5 or 6. To Hopeful the PPH lists them alphabetically. It will be interesting where Butler ends up. I just thought I would take a stab at it since Tom wrote "post yours."
Therealslimshady

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:21 am

BDN All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball teams 2017
and a look back at teams from 1997 to present ...

First Team: Kolleen Bouchard, Houlton; Anna DeWolfe, Greely; Emily Esposito, Gorham; Mackenzie Holmes, Gorham; Sophie Holmes, Gorham

Second Team: Katie Butler, Bangor; Heather Kervin, Winslow; Jordyn Reynolds, Edward Little; Madeline Suhr, Brunswick; Tasia Titherington, Deering

Third Team: Page Brown, Boothbay Region; Lauren Chadwick, Gardiner; Morgan Dauk George Stevens Academy; Brie Wajer, Lincoln Academy; Emily Wheaton, Presque Isle

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/04/01/s ... 7-to-2017/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 am

BDN All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team stats; honorable mention list

(Player, Team, Class, Height, Position: Statistical averages)

FIRST TEAM
Kolleen Bouchard, Houlton, Jr., 6-0, G: 24.3 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 4.3 apg, 3.8 bpg, 2.1 spg
Anna DeWolfe, Greely, Soph., 5-6, G: 24 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg, 3 spg
Emily Esposito, Gorham, Sr., 5-10, G: 19.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.1 assists per game
Mackenzie Holmes, Gorham, Soph., 6-2, C: 17.1 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 5 bpg
Sophie Holmes, Messalonskee, Sr., 5-8, G: 18 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 spg, 2 apg, 2 bpg

SECOND TEAM
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:27 am

Esposito, Bouchard headline 41st BDN All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team

...Emily Esposito has achieved a rare feat. Gorham High School’s senior guard has been chosen to the first team of the Bangor Daily News All-Maine Schoolgirl Basketball Team for the third consecutive season.

Esposito, who will play at Division I Villanova University next season, was also chosen as Miss Maine Basketball and the Gatorade Player of the Year in securing a spot on our 41st All-Maine squad.

The team, selected without regard to position or class, is compiled by the BDN staff with statewide input from coaches, officials, media and longtime observers.

Esposito is joined on the First Team by three-time choice Kolleen Bouchard of Houlton, Sophie Holmes of Messalonskee High in Oakland, Anna DeWolfe of Greely in Cumberland Center and Gorham’s Mackenzie Holmes.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/04/01/n ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur