Class C: State Tourney Thread

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: Class C: State Tourney Thread

Postby Green17 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:48 pm

I'll take a shot at the south prelims
#3 Monmouth v #14 Searsport Monmouth wins +25
#4 OOB V #13 NYA OOB wins +8
#5 Madison V #12 St. Doms Madison + 15
#6 Waynflete V #11 Traip Waynflete +7
#7 Hebron V #10 Mt. Abram Mt Abram +4
#8 Gould V #9 Winthrop Winthrop + 6
Green17

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 am

Tom Nolette wrote:Prelims

C North
#8 Narraguagus vs #9 Fort Kent
#7 Calais vs #10 Penobscot Valley
#6 Woodland vs #11 Fort Fairfield
#5 Dexter vs #12 Schenck

C South
#8 Gould Academy vs #9 Winthrop
#7 Hebron Academy vs #10 Mt Abram
#6 Waynflete vs #11 Traip Academy
#5 Madison vs #12 St. Dominic Academy
#4 Old Orchard Beach vs #13 North Yarmouth Academy
#3 Monmouth Academy vs #14 Searsport

Date
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Therealslimshady » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm

I like Dexter, Woodland, Calais, Guagus...all by double digit margins.
Therealslimshady

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:50 am

SJ Girls' basketball: Class C South playoff preview

Players to watch: Jr. G Tia Day, Monmouth; Jr. F Abbey Allen, Monmouth; Jr. F Hannah Anderson, Monmouth; Soph. G Abby Ferland, Monmouth; Soph. G Franceska Halloran, Hebron; Jr. G/F Maddy New, Hebron; Fr. G Aaliyah Wilson-Falcone, Winthrop; Fr. G Kena Souza, Winthrop; Sr. F Shie Smith, Winthrop; Soph. G Summer Ross, Mt. Abram; Jr. G Lindsay Huff, Mt. Abram; Sr. F Chloe Dwinell, St. Dom’s; Jr. G Caroline Gastonguay, St. Dom’s.

Favorites: Richmond, Boothbay, Monmouth.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ew/2076522
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Narrfan19 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Narraguagus 60 Fort-Kent 41 final

Narraguagus 23 31 42 60
Fort-Kent. 7 22 31 41
Narrfan19

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:15 am

PRELIM: Waynflete girls beat Traip, punch ticket to Augusta

PORTLAND—Mission accomplished.

Augusta, here we come.

Waynflete’s girls’ basketball team had a singular goal in mind when the 2016-17 season began and Tuesday evening in its tiny gym, the sixth-ranked Flyers made their dream come true when they advanced to the Class C South quarterfinals for the first time in three seasons.

Hosting No. 11 Traip Academy in a preliminary round contest, the Flyers, due to nerves and strong defense from the Rangers, started slowly and fell behind, 7-0, but a 3-pointer from junior Lydia Giguere, followed less than a minute later by another Giguere 3, got them going.

http://www.theforecaster.net/waynflete- ... o-augusta/

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Waynflete earns berth at Augusta Civic Center
The Flyers beat Traip Academy and will play Monmouth Academy on Monday in the Class C South quarterfinals.

... “(Giguere) is so clutch and just so confident. That’s the key,” said Waynflete Coach Mike Jefferds, who won his first playoff game as a head coach.

Giguere, who rolled her ankle during Friday’s regular-season finale at Sacopee Valley, showed no signs of being slowed.

“I feel great,” said Giguere. “I’m just so excited. This is my first time going to (the) Augusta (Civic Center), so I’m so ready that I’m not even noticing anything (about the ankle).”

Giguere also had eight steals.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/02/14/g ... ic-center/

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
PRELIM: Class C South Playoffs: Flyers turn up the pressure, oust Traip girls

... The Flyers overcame 25 turnovers of their own to advance to Monday's regional quarterfinal matchup with No. 3 Monmouth (16-3) at Augusta Civic Center, following Monmouth's 56-25 victory over No. 14 Searsport (8-11).

"I thought Traip came in with a ton of energy and we came out a little flat, but I think our press started to get to them. That was our game and it started working, slowly," Waynflete coach Mike Jefferds said. "Turnovers have been a big part of us all year, so we're at a point right now where we have to force as any turnovers as we have."

Playing its fourth game without injured point guard Mia Perez, the Rangers' offense was stalled and only had three scorers in senior Marina Casey (10 points) and juniors Reilly Eddy (11) and Cassidy Delano (seven).

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20170214/ ... raip-girls
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:27 am

PRELIM: Monmouth girls ride defensive pressure to Class C South prelim win over Searsport
Third-seeded Mustangs overwhelm Vikings early to advance to Augusta Civic Center.

... “Their pressure is just … it’s a lot like what we see in the (North), and it really bothered us tonight,” said Searsport coach Mel Grant, who got 18 points and 10 rebounds from Mikaela Alley. “We just weren’t ready to play. Our best ball handler is also our biggest girl, so we’ve got to kind of have her underneath. After we made her bring the ball up every time we had no problem with it. We also didn’t have any inside presence after that whatsoever.”

Wing said the pressure has played a big part in Monmouth’s rise to the top few group of Class C South.

“We’ve pressed all 19 games so far,” he said. “There’s some teams that we do different things against … but we’ve started out every game pressing all season long.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02/14/ ... searsport/

PRELIM: Monmouth runs over Searsport in preliminary game

... “And their pressure and their quickness intimidated us, really. I mean that was really what it was.”

Alley scored the bulk of Searsport's points, finishing with 18.

The large deficit allowed Wing to use even more of his bench than he normally does, and all 12 players on the roster played at least half of a quarter.

The Mustangs’ scoring was spread out pretty evenly. Destiny Clough and Abby Ferland each finished with a team-high 10 points. Day had eight, and Grandahl scored five.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... me/2076579
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:41 am

PRELIM: Old Orchard Beach beats NYA to advance
Emily Greenlee scores 13 points as the Seagulls reach the Class C South quarterfinals.

... “We had to make sure that we didn’t go into the game thinking we were going to win, we had to come in ready,” said sophomore forward Emily Greenlee, who led OOB with 13 points. “Anyone can have a good night and go off so we had to make sure we covered the shooters and work hard on defense. And that’s definitely how we won this game.”

Brianna Plante, who missed the Seagulls’ last two games of the season (both losses) while recovering from an ankle injury, started things with a 3-pointer on a nice kick-out pass from 6-foot-2 freshman center Maggie Strohm. NYA tied it with a 3-pointer by Maggie Larson, who had a team-high eight points, but then the Seagulls went on a 9-0 run.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/02/14/g ... o-advance/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:09 am

PRELIM: Mt. Abram chops down Hebron

... In their return to the playoffs, the Roadrunners of Mt. Abram went on the road and dug themselves out of an early hole before putting Hebron Academy into one for good, winning a Class C South girls' basketball preliminary round game 49-42 on Tuesday night.

Summer Ross hit a 3-pointer the first time the No. 10 Roadrunners (11-8) got the ball, but the sixth-seeded Lumberjacks (11-7) responded with a 10-0 run.

"I think it was nerves," Mt. Abram coach Larry Donald said. "They haven't been to the playoffs in five, six years. The expectations were high, and I think they just came out and let the jitters get to them."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... im/2076561
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 am

PRELIM: No. 5 Madison holds off No. 12 St. Dom's

MADISON — The Madsion Bulldogs held on to post a 39-35 victory over St. Dominic Academy in a Class C South preliminary round basketball game on Tuesday.

Madeline Wood led all scorers with 13 points to lead the No. 5 Bulldogs (14-5). She had a key layup with about 1:30 to go to seal the victory. Lauren Hay had a double-double as she had ten points and 12 rebounds.

Sydney LeBlanc also had 12 rebounds in the victory to go with her seven points.

Caroline Gastonguay paced the No. 12 Saints (6-13) with 12 points while Chloe Dwinell had 11.

source: SJ
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur