Class B: State Tourney Thread

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: Class B: State Tourney Thread

Postby KnightsFan18 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Prelim Predictions

#12 Mt. View 23 @ #5 Winslow 74
#11 Washington Acadamy 28 @ #6 Central 55
#10 Ellsworth 57 @ #7 John Bapst 56
#9 Maine Central Institute 51 @ #8 Mt Desert Island 45
KnightsFan18

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Historically LA and SM have not fared well in the tourney in spite of lofty seeding. Even Coach Kane paid the price. I did like the style of play of LA very much. Thought players were unselfish and go very hard both ends. Could be time we heard from the "outsiders"
ExpoEddie

Postby western b » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:58 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Historically LA and SM have not fared well in the tourney in spite of lofty seeding. Even Coach Kane paid the price. I did like the style of play of LA very much. Thought players were unselfish and go very hard both ends. Could be time we heard from the "outsiders"

Well, the aforementioned "SM" is not in the field of 9 this year, so they should have a difficult time advancing. LA made the B South Finals last year; that would seem to constitute being heard from.
western b

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:19 pm

I stand corrected to a point. The division of former B to now A & B has helped the non WMC schools and the smaller WMC schools as designed. Overall though those teams were defeated by the lower WMC seed in quarter and semi-final games. Big exception was LA trouncing York in 2015.

LA Coach was really challenged because KVC teams would not let them in, so many games were out of conference Class C games is what I recall in conversation with Coach.

LA/GNG final would be a big draw of fans. Wells is bracket favorite, but I see them not getting by first game with a hungry Poland.
ExpoEddie

Postby dunbar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:59 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:
LA Coach was really challenged because KVC teams would not let them in, so many games were out of conference Class C games is what I recall in conversation with Coach.

Lincoln has been a KVAC member since the Mid-Maine Conference folded and played 14 of their 18 games within that league, including 4 games against the Midcoast Class A schools.
dunbar

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 pm

I will take Wells over Poland. The two wins over York and then Yarmouth prove they have crafted the right recipe. Poland will struggle scoring against a packed in 2-3. Poland predominantly scores by getting to the rim. That's hard to do when the lanes are packed with defenders.. Wells by 13
HoopHopeful

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:09 pm

ok I give up. I played them in a quarter final at the Expo 2014. They were 4, we were 5. I swear coach said his schedule was problematic. They had a real quick guard and the big was maybe a sophomore. I tried to play them in the summer, but schedules never worked out. I was not downplaying at all, but the challenges that Mountain Valley, Spring Mountain, Leavitt at times and I thought Lincoln had getting same class games. Same issues getting together with SM in the summer as AAU decimated my team and could not get #'s to play against Coach Kane. He reached out to me when he heard I had cancer and gave encouraging words as a cancer survivor himself. You never forget those calls.

I guess Diana Manduca covered for me a lot more that I remember.
ExpoEddie

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Way to go out on a limb with that prediction HH.

But, who do you see as the most likely upset game? Has to be one. I just liked Poland out of the brackets. Ditto with Bangor over Cheverus.

LR over the field except GNG is not an upset. PT just a great, great coach.
ExpoEddie

Postby Dark Horse » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Watch out for the Winslow girls. Strong, young team. Interested to see how the teams from the county do playing different teams. Should be a great tourney!
Dark Horse

Postby Therealslimshady » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I agree Dark Horse, it should be interesting to see how the Big East teams match up with a team from the KVAC. Hermon will be a worthy opponent for Winslow in round 1.
Therealslimshady

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur