Monmouth:: out-muscles Lisbon in rematch

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Monmouth:: out-muscles Lisbon in rematch

Postby Media » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 am

Monmouth girls basketball rallies past Madison
Mustangs come back from 11 down twice to earn win.

... “We stopped them and made a few baskets, and I thought we were going to be in good shape. It just didn’t happen,” Madison coach Al Veneziano said.

A Tia Day 3-pointer cut Madison’s lead to 54-50, and a pair of Abby Ferland free throws pulled the Mustangs within two points with 2:42 to play.

“I thought we played hard. I thought they did a good job getting the ball inside and taking advantage of some foul trouble we had.”

LeBlanc led Madison with 19 points, while Madeline Wood added 12. Kaeti Butterfield scored 11 points for Monmouth.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/01/17/ ... t-madison/
Media

Monmouth:: hands Boothbay first loss

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:55 am

Monmouth hands Boothbay first loss

MONMOUTH — Monmouth built a lead with a couple of runs and then finished off Boothbay, winning 49-36 in a showdown between two of the state’s top Class C girls’ basketball teams.

The Mustangs’ biggest stretch was a 14-2 scoring run that spanned most of the second quarter. It broke a 9-9 tie and gave Monmouth a lead it never relinquished.

In that second period, the Mustangs held the previously unbeaten Seahawks to only four points.

“We played pretty solid,” Monmouth coach Scott Wing said. “We played very, very good team defense, that was the whole key.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ss/2061334
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Monmouth:: hands Boothbay first loss

Postby HoopHopeful » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm told Blethen was not available for this game. She is a crucial component of boothbays success. Taking her points, rebounds and steals out of game would surely put them at a disadvantage. It would allow a team to focus more on Brown in the paint.
Last edited by HoopHopeful on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoopHopeful

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:29 pm

I believe she was in uniform but didnt play. I got there late in 4th, thought i saw her on bench, i thought maybe she had fouled out, but i guess not.

Even if she didnt play, give credit to Monmouth for the win, they played and lost to Boothbay by i believe 7 earlier this year...if they meet in tourney expect a close game
wmtwsportsprod

Postby HoopHopeful » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Call me crazy but I'd say having one of their top scorers out with an injury is a relevant piece of information. I would discount this win just like I would discount a team beating Deering without A Brett. Taking 35%+ of a teams scoring out of the starting line up will have a negative impact.
HoopHopeful

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:04 am

yes and all i am saying, is that some people will just say Monmouth won game ONLY because Boothbay didnt have one of their top players....you nor I know for sure what the outcome would be otherwise..i am just making sure to give the Monmouth team and players some measure of respect for the win
wmtwsportsprod

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:38 am

Post by wmtwsportsprod » 23 Jan 2017 05:04
yes and all i am saying, is that some people will just say Monmouth won game ONLY because Boothbay didnt have one of their top players....you nor I know for sure what the outcome would be otherwise..i am just making sure to give the Monmouth team and players some measure of respect for the win

My post was not intended to disrespect Monmouth, Gorham, Greely or So Portland for winning a game when an opponents top scorer/key player is not in the line up. Here's what I do know with absolute certainty, Boothbay stepping on the court without Blethen surely puts them at a disadvantage. I'm willing to bet most of the Monmouth fans / players and maybe even their coach would agree. You can't take out K Bouchard, A Brett, S Holmes, D Haines, M Holmes, B Jordan, Brown, Glidden, Adams, Espo or any other top producer and not consider that a negative impact. I'd be saying the same thing if Tia Day was out of the line up for Monmouth, she's a stud and integral to Monmouth's success. I would not give Boothbay full credit for the win until they played Monmouth at full strength, nothing to do with respect or disrespect. Items relevant to the game.

I find it questionable and a little comical that the writer of the article includes "The Mustangs held the Seahawks 19 points below their season scoring average." Mr. Trump would call this "fake news", that 19 number is almost the same as Blethen's season game point average, go figure. Subtracting out an average of 5 steals, defensive wing span like a small jet and 11 rebounds, surely impacted Boothbay. I think most avid sports fans understand the importance of key players to a teams success.

No one is suggesting that Monmouth isn't a worthy opponent because they absolutely are and anyone on that Boothbay team would probably tell you that. You can give Monmouth all the credit/respect you want, for me, I'll hold out giving them full credit until they beat Boothbay when they're at full strength. If Pasternak had played on Friday, York could have defeated Greely. Anyone who thinks it didn't impact York's chances are omitting relevant facts. I would not be offended in the least bit OR feel Greely was disrespected if someone posted it or pointed it out.
HoopHopeful

Postby One Way » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 am

Call me crazy but I'd say having one of their top scorers out with an injury is a relevant piece of information. I would discount this win just like I would discount a team beating Deering without A Brett. Taking 35% of a teams scoring out of the starting line up will have a negative impact.

Monmouth won 49-36. Add in the 35% that Faith scores and Monmouth wins 49-48.6 :D
One Way

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am

[quoteRe: Monmouth:: hands Boothbay first loss
Postby One Way » 23 Jan 2017 15:19 ][/quote]

Please, do you want wmtwsportsprod to come unglued on a Monday? My 35% was a guestimate, no idea what % her points make up the total points scored. Also, I'm not suggesting Monmouth couldn't have beat Boothbay if they had been at full strength. I would imagine it would be a great game to watch and one that hopefully happens at play off time. Thanks for the humor!
HoopHopeful

Postby One Way » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am

Please, do you want wmtwsportsprod to come unglued on a Monday? My 35% was a guestimate, no idea what % her points make up the total points scored.

I just notice on this site that Faith averages 15.78 points per game so that blows my theory. :oops:
One Way

Next

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur