Cony Has New Head Coach

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Cony Has New Head Coach

Postby Conyfan08 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 pm

From the Kennebec Journal Website

Former Cony High School point guard Karen Sirois has been hired as the school’s new girls basketball coach.

She replaces Paul Vachon who resigned recently to become the school’s athletic director. Vachon won seven Class A state championships and over 400 games in 23 years as head coach.
Sirois completed her playing career in 2007 at the University of Maine at Farmington where she scored over 1,000 points and set a school record for assists.

“I looked at Karen at being the dark horse candidate but she really floored me in the interviews,” outgoing athletic director Dan Bowers said.
Conyfan08

Re: Cony Has New Head Coach

Postby Conyfan08 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:31 am

Kennebec Journal Article

Congratulations to Karen, I think this is a great choice!!!!

AUGUSTA -- Former Cony High School point guard Karen Sirois has been named the school's girls basketball coach, outgoing Athletic Director Dan Bowers announced Monday.

Sirois replaces Paul Vachon, who resigned this spring to become the school's athletic director. In 23 years as head coach, Vachon established himself as the premier girls coach in the state with seven Class A championships and a record of 433-37.

"I looked at Karen as a dark-horse candidate, but she really floored me in the interviews," Bowers said.

Bowers said there were several applicants for the job before the interview process was narrowed to three candidates, all of them capable.

"I felt like I had a lot to offer," Sirois said. "I know the program well, and I know the girls."

Sirois played for Vachon for four years at Cony, helping the team to four Eastern Maine championship games and one state title appearance. She fit nicely into his uptempo style and continued that at the University of Maine at Farmington where she scored more than 1,000 points and set the career record for assists.

"She was a hard-nosed player," Bowers said. "She wants to continue with that aggressive style of play."

Sirois said personnel will dictate her team's style of play and next year it should feature an aggressive defense.

"If you look at our team right now we have a lot of guards," she said. "And we're very, very quick."

Sirois, 23, has had limited coaching experience. She was a practice assistant with the Livermore High boys team last winter, has coached a boys travel team and has tutored several individuals. At Farmington, Coach Jamie Beaudoin referred to Sirois as the team's leader and the coach on the floor. She also worked at Vachon's summer camps while in high school and college.

"I've always been coaching in some aspect but never had the time to really take an entire team by myself," she said.

Sirois still has to complete a student teaching requirement to earn her degree at Farmington and she'll do that this fall at Maranacook Community School. In the meantime, she'll work at Vachon's basketball camp while also getting the team's summer program up and running.

"We've got a good heavy summer ahead of us," she said. "I'm going to do a lot of work with the girls where we have to figure each other out."

As far as following Vachon's success, Sirois said she's not intimidated.

"You're trying to compare some who's been there for 23 years to some starting their first year," she said. "I'm going in with my style and what I do best."
Conyfan08

Postby bowdoin84 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:55 am

Sirois is an interesting choice. She'll have plenty of support. Great to see a young woman take over.
bowdoin84

Postby mespectator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:19 am

I think she's a good choice. But is it a done deal? Doesn't the school board have to give their blessing?

Vachon also keeps his staff (Sirois & current players) intact for his summer camp, which may not have flown with an outsider.
mespectator

Postby SeaDogsFan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:26 pm

"Doesn't the school board have to give their blessing?"

Seems to have Vachon's blessing. And in the Augusta area Vachon has to be nothing short of a God figure... I've sat behind the Cony bench. That board doesn't wanna hear one Paul Vachon's wrath :p

Translation: No, they don't really, it's only a formality at this point.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby ShotDr. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Great Choice, Very motivated, Knows the X's and O's of the game, and has a passion for Basketball. I wish her the best luck!
ShotDr.

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur