Ethics for coaches?

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Ethics for coaches?

Postby RaiderC2 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Should coaches be expected to conduct themselves in an particular manner outside of their school duties?
Are school's coaches ethics quidelines some what vague on this issue?
What do parents expect of their children's coaches?

I have opinions on these issues and would like to hear other's thoughts.

Last winter when a number of players made poor decisions there was much discussion on this site; what about poor decisions of coaches?
RaiderC2

Re: Ethics for coaches?

Postby hoops2you » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Looks like somebody has an agenda or something they're about to speculate on. There's no other reason to start a post like this.
Last edited by hoops2you on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoops2you

Postby blackjackeraro » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 pm

What are parents exspectations of a teacher outside of their job
what are parents exspectations of an administrator outside of their job
what are KIDS exspectations of there parents outside of their parenting
what are your exspectations of your employeer outside of his job
what are parents exspectation of a police officer off duty
What are your ethics guidelines for all the above positions ????

Got a bit jacked up with this answer...Assuming is never a good way to go about things...My appologies..
Last edited by blackjackeraro on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackjackeraro

Postby RaiderC2 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:21 pm

My agenda is that I am going to put in my window air conditioner in the window and I'll be glad to give any of you a break, but from what?

Seriously, I am just wondering what opinions are out there on this issue. It would seem that someone cares if we are fingerprinting teachers, teacher's aids, custodians, coaches, etc.
Last edited by RaiderC2 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaiderC2

Postby blackjackeraro » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:56 pm

As you said: It would seem that someone cares if we are fingerprinting teachers, teacher's aids, custodians, coaches, etc.....There is your answer......We all care....Other than that my opinion is that what anyone does after school or practice is their buisness.....If they do something wrong it is then the law's buisness....Enjoy the a/c....I put mine up today also........
blackjackeraro

Postby SeaDogsFan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 am

Well, I believe a baseball coach was fired for getting hit with a DUI.

When you're supposed to be teaching high-school kids, or lower, an offense like that will probably (and in nearly every case IMO should) result in a new coach taking over.

Acting like a total prick in public, probably gonna result in a long talk with the AD. Who will have just finished a long talk with the Boosters and will be, regardless of whether or not he wants to punch the parent in charge of the boosters in the face, very pissed off.

Coaches are (deservedly so) held to higher standards than players. It's the coach's job to be a mentor, and teach students not only how to excel at a sport, but to become better people. Doesn't always happen as sometimes star players decide a laptop is worth so much they have to break into some guy's house to steal it, or that a fight resulting in indefinite suspensions for the year is worth it, between two INCREDIBLY mediocre teams very few people previously had cared about, but it's the coach's job. And when they do something foolish like break the law (a serious offense like DUI, not just "hey you walked across my privately owned field!") They definitely need to be held accountable.

But as always, every situation is different. I like "zero-tolerance" policies when they're actually enforced, and carried out. You do not have a right to participate, it's a privilege. You screw it up, better luck next year and in the meantime good luck in straightening yourself out. MCI, for one, is willing to give players a chance and that has been their philosophy for some time. It has worked well here in PTown. Couple cases where kids have been given too many chances, but in the grand scheme of things, nothing too wild. One "too wild" circumstance may arise come football season, but that's a long way off and I'll start to care if it has any legs to it.

To answer the initial questions: Yeah, I think school guidelines can be vague on this matter, and often times administrators probably want to think they won't have to deal with it, and they hope they don't. Parents, I hope they don't expect the World out of a coach. That's how good coaches get fired and schools look like punchlines. A coach GENERALLY should keep in mind they ARE a public figure, and should conduct themselves responsibly in public. That's a general rule I've learned, and as always, there are exceptions.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby lovethegame » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:03 am

Coaches are role models and mentors, plan and simple. They should teach their players life lessons and be able to display the lessons they teach. I for one like to attend school activities and support my players no matter what it is they are doing. I coach boys basketball but I don't just coach during the winter and that's it. I also enjoy watching my players during the soccer and baseball seasons. I go to their AAU and travel league games, go to their school plays, and sometimes I help out at activities when asked. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to go to everything I can, but when I have some spare time I like to see players from my teams playing other sports and participating in school activities. I also like to watch the girls teams play when my schedule allows me.

Coaches should know the difference between right and wrong and how to conduct themselves while in public. If you're a coach and you can't do these simple things, then you shouldn't be coaching. We as coaches help children and young adults learn through sports and life lessons where applicable. We make impacts on their lives in almost everything we do. If you can't be a role model then you have no place in the coaching field.
lovethegame

Postby blackjackeraro » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 am

Good Post SeaDog.....
Good Post Lovethegame
blackjackeraro

Postby billzfan34 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 am

When I first started to coach,I brought along my "Do as I say,not do as I do" mantra.It wasn't very long before I realized the influence I had over impressionable young minds that would suck up anything tossed their way.I realized quickly that I should lead by example and ever since have believed that indeed,I am a role model. In my starting out to teach those kids,I was in fact, taught myself. I have become a better overall person because of the coaching I set out to do.All that said...If I want to vent or rant and rave behind MY closed doors,it shouldn't be anyone else's business.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Postby blackjackeraro » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Well said Billzfan.....I suppose I would like to think that most people (coach's) would come to those same conclusions as exspressed by yourself,lovethegame and seadog regardless if they are a good/fair or poor coach (technically)......because of this I am against any increase in formalizing any ethics ageenda that would possible dictate "off the court behavior of a coach".....I mean where could that take us ??? Is'nt it tough enough??
I exspect my daughters coach to be fair,knowledgeable and dedicated to the team..... If he/she comes in a bit rough around the edges but learns the lessons that you have then that is a bonus...I also exspect him to be a law abiding citizen....what more can you want.
blackjackeraro

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur