Morse has a new head coach

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: Morse has a new head coach

Postby sportwidow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 am

so sorry
Last edited by sportwidow on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportwidow

Postby sportsfan34 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:00 am

Who said that the school wanted to go in a new direction? There is nothing wrong with a parent or "Booster" contacting coaches to see if they are interested in applying for the position in order to get a strong candidate pool and find the best coach. Who said they wanted someone younger? It doesn't matter that the Booster had a daughter on the committee or not. The committee asked the questions and decided on Coach Hart. It doesn't mean that Wil was not a good candidate or that Andrew Morong was not a good candidate. Perhaps one interviewed better than the others. Because someone has been in the system for a period of time, does that mean the person automatically moves to a higher position when the job opens up? Ridiculous. The best candidate needs to be hired regardless.
sportsfan34

Postby sportwidow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Last edited by sportwidow on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportwidow

Postby sportsfan34 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Why, because he coached in the system? Are you able to look at the position objectively? Sounds like a wife of a coach. Who told you that people thought he was going to coach like Tom Morong? Did he or you hear that from a committee person?

Not being a part of the committee and hearing the philosophy, teaching style, and ideas to develop the program of each candidate, I believe it is hard to say who was the best candidate. The committee decided. Good job. Move on.
sportsfan34

Postby threeball » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm

A few schools of thought:

1. You reward the guy who has been loyal to the program for 20 years. As an outsider, it seems to me that he was pretty well-liked and did right by a lot of girls for a lot of years. This isn't the WNBA, so scouring the countryside until you unearth the absolute best candidate might seem a bit unecessary when you have a more than viable option right in your own back yard.

2. You take the emotion completely out of the situation, and you hire the absolute best candidate who applied. If a panel of people not connected to the situation at all screened applications and conducted interviews, who would they go with?

3. One thing is for sure to me, that wherever you come down on things, if you are a supporter of Morse basketball, you whole-heartedly embrace Mike Hart as your new coach and you move forward. The argument can be made that Laffely got a raw deal, but not at the hands of Coach Hart. He's a quality person and coach, and certainly must be excited at the chance to coach his alma mater. These philosophical discussions over hiring procedures, although perfectly warranted, can be dangerous because you do have a new coach at Morse now, one who is eager to continue the winning tradition of that program. My advice is to throw your support behind a guy who could be there for the next 20 years if things fall right, and who I think will do a stellar job IF he is supported in that endeavor...
threeball

Postby sportwidow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 pm

///////////////////
Last edited by sportwidow on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportwidow

Postby sportwidow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey sportsfan34.... sounds like you were or got your info from someone on the "inside".
You don't need to be a coaches wife to see the big picture . Besides Wil's wife doesn't go to many games....probably because she knows "how the game is played".
I too wish Coach Hart all the best. Good kid ,good family ....but look out for control freaks and parents.
sportwidow

Postby SportsNut25 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 pm

You know, the saddest thing about this whole message board is that Coach Laffeley's wife (aka sportswidow) and his daughter (aka Morse 91) are using this forum to continue to spread the lies and dissent so associated with Morse High School sports. No one is denying that Coach Laffeley was a nice man and that he put in years of service to JV, but it's hard to continue to defend the guy when his wife and daughters are going around town questioning the process, spreading rumors, and bad mouthing the committee to anyone in listening distance. Do you really think your remaining anonymous in a small town like Bath? The fact that Coach Laffeley's wife continues to deny that she is not sportswidow is just indicative of how toxic small town sports can be. It's funny that she wishes Mr. Hart luck against difficult parents and community members when she is exhibiting the same behavior that she's warning him to guard against.
SportsNut25

Postby Messylonskee33 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Messylonskee33

Postby Morse91 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:50 pm

I have heard about the hiring process while attending games and around town. My username is quite simple, moved to Bath in 1991 and became a fan of Morse Sports, which apparently now warrants finger pointing and being accused of something. I only posted what I had heard, nothing more.
Morse91

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur