UMaine team

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: UMaine team

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:55 am

"And the players must feel that its better to be a 4 year back up at a Stanford, than play for UMaine."

Of course it's better to be a 4-year backup at Stanford, than to play for a UMaine team with the way things are going, and a recent track record that makes UMaine as nationally relevant as... You. Or me. Or 90% of MBR posters individually.

Now if it were... 4 year backup at Robert Morris, vs. starter at UMaine, now you can talk. But if you don't think playing at one of the 10 schools people give a damn about in women's college basketball is automatically better than playing at one of the worst schools for athletics in America... Well, when someone at the big show gets injured and the recruit that took your place shines... You're gonna kick yourself in the ass when you come home with a current record of 3-10, with 1 conference win out of 5 games, while you're basically trying to carry the team on your shoulders (because if Stanford or Rutgers was offering you a scholarship, and you're still at UMaine, you're probably gonna look like Blodgett in her day compared to your teammates.)

More playing time may be fun, but even though I didn't play a lot of sports, I can quote Pete Snow my 8th grade bball coach: Losing sucks.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby mainejeff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:33 pm

SeaDogsFan........were you around during Palombo's first season in Orono?

I wonder if Jamie Cassidy or Amy Vachon wished that they were on the Stanford team that they defeated in the NCAA tourney in 2000?
mainejeff

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:33 am

We are clearly not talking about the same UMaine team.

I'm not entirely familiar with the 2000 team, but I'm sure it's a safe bet that that team, probably as they are 8 years later, could beat this current team.

OK that's a stretch. But that team would run circles, in their playing days, around this one. The way the program is atm, Maine can't possibly compete in recruiting with anyone like Stanford, unless they get really lucky. It would seem now it's more a case of settling for UMaine, than choosing UMaine.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby mainejeff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:28 pm

SeaDogsFan wrote:We are clearly not talking about the same UMaine team.

I'm not entirely familiar with the 2000 team, but I'm sure it's a safe bet that that team, probably as they are 8 years later, could beat this current team.

OK that's a stretch. But that team would run circles, in their playing days, around this one. The way the program is atm, Maine can't possibly compete in recruiting with anyone like Stanford, unless they get really lucky. It would seem now it's more a case of settling for UMaine, than choosing UMaine.

What I'm getting at is that Palombo had single digit wins in her first season at Maine......and then she built Maine into a regional powerhouse. It only takes one GREAT player with a solid supporting cast for Maine to be successful in America East......it CAN happen again. Tanna Ross is a VERY good player (as long as she can stay healthy) and they can build around her. Maine is in the running for a couple of very good players in the state and if they can get them it would help both in wins and new interest in the program. Blodgett is going to need at least 3 or 4 seasons before she can be fairly judged.......it is not her fault that every UM program had a losing season.
mainejeff

Re: Maine Players

Postby CoachH » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 am

ABCD wrote:Free degree from UMaine $60,000
Free degree from Stanford $220,000

Considering she is going to be a "back up" player I would take the degree from stanford aswell it might helf her out in the real world.

Selling Orono to the out of state players is going to be blodgett's be problem. Why go to Umaine when there are 100 schools just like it near big city's or in warmer weather. And as for getting all the girls from the state of maine.. Ask the boys at UMaine how well that is working for them. Most of the team is from maine and umm they arn't a power house.

I know when I was a kid and laced up my shoes my dreams wern't of U Maine. I am sure neither are most of these girls. So when other schools come knocking it shouldn't be a suprise that they leave the state.

This was long ago but I am sure someone on here will know.. Who other then maine offerd Blodgett a ride? BU? Vermount? UNH? Do you think she would have stayed in maine if UConn was in her living room?
I was always told "to be the best you have to play against the best" or "to get better you have to play against better talent" I know that including Blodgett herself the top players arn't going to UMaine.

As another poster stated, Notre Dame and Colorado offered her a full ride. Many schools offered assistance at various levels.....Stanford, U Conn, BC among them. Tennessee recruited her, without a scholarship offer. However, she did recieve 3 full boats and a handful of other offers.

But I can tell you, from knowing her in school, that it WAS her dream to play for U Maine, and to help them on the road to the NCAAs.
CoachH

Re: Maine Players

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:32 pm

CoachH wrote:
ABCD wrote:But I can tell you, from knowing her in school, that it WAS her dream to play for U Maine, and to help them on the road to the NCAAs.

Some people HATE to hear that. ;)
mainejeff

Postby allsportsfan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:12 pm

For some players in both the men's and women's program they didn't "settle" for UMaine, they "choose" UMaine over some mid level schools. Believe it or not, players still "choose" UMaine because they WANT to. I think you would be surprised where some of them could have gone, but they choose not to publicize their options and open it to public debate.

These players didn't listen to what the "experts" felt they should do, they did want they wanted to do, even when people criticized them for "settling" or not going "higher".

Why not support these players instead of criticizing them?

Recent high school players had been through the ringer with these types of debates and regret making their options known. I think you will find upcoming players will keep their options more private.
allsportsfan

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:32 pm

allsportsfan wrote:Recent high school players had been through the ringer with these types of debates and regret making their options known. I think you will find upcoming players will keep their options more private.

Agreed. It has become quite the "sport" to tear apart teenagers for their decisions on where they want to attend college. I am not blameless in getting caught up in it all.....but some of the venom that is spewed by so-called "adults" is pretty sad.......almost like they are living vicariously through these kids. :(
mainejeff

Previous

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur