UMaine team

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

Re: UMaine team

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Great post localbballfan!

Let's not forget some of the things that Blodgett has to overcome in local and regional recruiting circles. Blodgett will have to do her recruiting from Augusta North and Boston South because there are girls basketball individuals, coaches, and programs between Boston and Augusta that do NOT want her to succeed. Grudges in girls/womens hoops run VERY deep......and this will be a major obstacle for her to overcome.
mainejeff

Postby CoachH » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 am

Grudge or no grudge, Blodgett faces a long and difficult road.

The fact of the matter is that for some reason, players are not being "steered" to UMaine. My personal opinion is that some coaches want to "place" kids in higher profile schools. And the players must feel that its better to be a 4 year back up at a Stanford, than play for UMaine.

Obviously its a different ball game (Stanford or Maine) or virtually every level.

But until UMaine is treated as a worthwhile place to play, it will never bring in the best recruits that Maine has to offer.
CoachH

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 pm

CoachH wrote:Grudge or no grudge, Blodgett faces a long and difficult road.

The fact of the matter is that for some reason, players are not being "steered" to UMaine. My personal opinion is that some coaches want to "place" kids in higher profile schools. And the players must feel that its better to be a 4 year back up at a Stanford, than play for UMaine.

Obviously its a different ball game (Stanford or Maine) or virtually every level.

But until UMaine is treated as a worthwhile place to play, it will never bring in the best recruits that Maine has to offer.

CoachH.......Do you think that UNH, Vermont, BU, Northeastern, or Holy Cross could recruit a player that was being offered a full scholarship to Stanford????
mainejeff

Postby ccow » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:52 am

[/quote]CoachH.......Do you think that UNH, Vermont, BU, Northeastern, or Holy Cross could recruit a player that was being offered a full scholarship to Stanford????
[quote][/quote]- maine jeff

Yes I do think they would recruit a player from this region that is offered a full scholarshop to Stanford - why wouldn't they---- if this player ever decides to transfer they can look back at the relationship w/ coaching staff, players and the school they started when they were being recruited.
That can go a long way.
ccow

Postby CoachH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:46 am

mainejeff wrote:

CoachH.......Do you think that UNH, Vermont, BU, Northeastern, or Holy Cross could recruit a player that was being offered a full scholarship to Stanford????

mainejeff,

I dont believe for one second that Maine can compete on a basketball competetion level, or from a "recreational opportunities" standpoint with the major schools.

But thats not my point.

My issue is that some kids are being steered away from UMaine. I have coached girls in the very recent past, whole played on various AAU teams. By and large, I think the AAU coaches do good by the girls, as they promote them extensively. However, they dont always listen to what the kids want. One young lady, in particular, WANTED to pursue schools in state, UMaine included. She was "advised" that her all around college experience would be enhanced by going to a school out of the state. The result? She, and her sister, ended up going to one of the schools that she didnt really have any interest in attending, and they both ended up dropping out because they hated where they were.

I know that that may not be the norm. But from a personal standpoint, I just think it would be nice for the AAU coaches to promote Maine as hard as the push the Duquenses and everyone else. I just dont think that they really want to steer kids in that direction. Whatever the reason for it, I dont know. Obviously Maine is getting kids from AAU programs, but I dont think the coaches care enough to promote Maine as a legitimately GOOD option.
CoachH

Postby mainejeff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:22 pm

ccow wrote:Yes I do think they would recruit a player from this region that is offered a full scholarshop to Stanford - why wouldn't they---- if this player ever decides to transfer they can look back at the relationship w/ coaching staff, players and the school they started when they were being recruited.
That can go a long way.

Are you saying that UMaine didn't recruit Cimino???.......because they did.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:33 pm

CoachH wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

mainejeff,

I dont believe for one second that Maine can compete on a basketball competetion level, or from a "recreational opportunities" standpoint with the major schools.

But thats not my point.

My issue is that some kids are being steered away from UMaine. I have coached girls in the very recent past, whole played on various AAU teams. By and large, I think the AAU coaches do good by the girls, as they promote them extensively. However, they dont always listen to what the kids want. One young lady, in particular, WANTED to pursue schools in state, UMaine included. She was "advised" that her all around college experience would be enhanced by going to a school out of the state. The result? She, and her sister, ended up going to one of the schools that she didnt really have any interest in attending, and they both ended up dropping out because they hated where they were.

I know that that may not be the norm. But from a personal standpoint, I just think it would be nice for the AAU coaches to promote Maine as hard as the push the Duquenses and everyone else. I just dont think that they really want to steer kids in that direction. Whatever the reason for it, I dont know. Obviously Maine is getting kids from AAU programs, but I dont think the coaches care enough to promote Maine as a legitimately GOOD option.

Ok......I see where you are coming from. That is what I was getting at........certain powers-that-be (at the high school and AAU levels) certainly DO steer players away from UMaine. The region between Brunswick and Boston will be very difficult for Blodgett to recruit as there are land mines across the girls basketball landscape. The unfortunate part is that most of it has nothing to do with Blodgett.......the Rousseau incident was unfortunate, but it was blown WAY out of proportion by some very vocal people. The McInerney incident was the big one however, as even though it was McInerney herself that caused the final repercussions......she has many friends in the college/AAU scene in New England. I guess that they will have to hope that Central and Eastern Maine produce some strong players then look to Southern New England, the Mid-Atlantic and beyond to fill the rest of their needs. As far as I can tell, Blodgett and staff did a very good job recruiting their first class.......let's just hope that those recruits stay with the program beyond one season.
mainejeff

Maine Players

Postby ABCD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Free degree from UMaine $60,000
Free degree from Stanford $220,000

Considering she is going to be a "back up" player I would take the degree from stanford aswell it might helf her out in the real world.

Selling Orono to the out of state players is going to be blodgett's be problem. Why go to Umaine when there are 100 schools just like it near big city's or in warmer weather. And as for getting all the girls from the state of maine.. Ask the boys at UMaine how well that is working for them. Most of the team is from maine and umm they arn't a power house.

I know when I was a kid and laced up my shoes my dreams wern't of U Maine. I am sure neither are most of these girls. So when other schools come knocking it shouldn't be a suprise that they leave the state.

This was long ago but I am sure someone on here will know.. Who other then maine offerd Blodgett a ride? BU? Vermount? UNH? Do you think she would have stayed in maine if UConn was in her living room?

I was always told "to be the best you have to play against the best" or "to get better you have to play against better talent" I know that including Blodgett herself the top players arn't going to UMaine.
ABCD

Postby seagaser » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47 pm

Why not ? Maine kids with help from outside can be successful. Players typical can raise their level of play if coaches and fans truly believe in them. Otherwise how did the Maine women beat Stanfordin the NCAA's. unfortunately there are to many like ABCD who look at all the reasons why things won't work as opposed to people who look to find ways to be successful. The Maine men have a talented group of players the question is can they make them play to their ability or above because if they can than they could win their league.
seagaser

Re: Maine Players

Postby mainejeff » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:39 pm

ABCD wrote:Free degree from UMaine $60,000
Free degree from Stanford $220,000

Considering she is going to be a "back up" player I would take the degree from stanford aswell it might helf her out in the real world.

Selling Orono to the out of state players is going to be blodgett's be problem. Why go to Umaine when there are 100 schools just like it near big city's or in warmer weather. And as for getting all the girls from the state of maine.. Ask the boys at UMaine how well that is working for them. Most of the team is from maine and umm they arn't a power house.

I know when I was a kid and laced up my shoes my dreams wern't of U Maine. I am sure neither are most of these girls. So when other schools come knocking it shouldn't be a suprise that they leave the state.

This was long ago but I am sure someone on here will know.. Who other then maine offerd Blodgett a ride? BU? Vermount? UNH? Do you think she would have stayed in maine if UConn was in her living room?

I was always told "to be the best you have to play against the best" or "to get better you have to play against better talent" I know that including Blodgett herself the top players arn't going to UMaine.

Notre Dame and Colorado.

Blodgett's problem is not going to be getting players from out-of-state (unless you are talking about NH). Her big problem will be getting players from Southern Maine. What many people from Maine don't realize is that UMaine is actually an easier sell to many out-of-state student athletes. Oh sure you get those that would absolutely not want to attend school in a cold climate or a rural location (UMaine is not alone in that dept.), but Maine is a more exotic place to many of them and they don't have that "I want to get away" attitude that many in-staters have.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur