NEGR Friday Features - DeWolfe and Holmes

post info & talk all things girls basketball....

NEGR Friday Features - DeWolfe and Holmes

Postby LennyH » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Northeast Girls Recruiting runs a "Friday Feature" where they showcase committed players from the Class of 2019 as a lead in to the Winter season. So far they have profiled two "Mainers" and I am sure there will be more from this talented class! I will update as they do them.

Anna DeWolfe - Friday Feature https://negirlsrecruiting.com/prospect- ... na-dewolfe

Mackenzie Homes - Friday Feature https://negirlsrecruiting.com/prospect- ... zie-holmes
LennyH

Re: NEGR Friday Features - DeWolfe and Holmes

Postby hoopsisme » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Reading both write ups not a Mention of UMaine. Did they not offer or recruit either girl? Or did either girl just not have interest in Maine?
hoopsisme

Postby hoopsisme » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Reading both write ups not a Mention of UMaine. Did they not offer or recruit either girl? Or did either girl just not have interest in Maine?
hoopsisme

Postby augie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Reading both write ups not a Mention of UMaine. Did they not offer or recruit either girl? Or did either girl just not have interest in Maine?

Are you just trying to put it on a tee for Lenny?
augie

Postby hoopsisme » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Nope. Reading it makes it sound like Maine didn't offer or had no interest which would seem odd. I know that typically many kids in the southern maine don't consider maine. Just curious
hoopsisme

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:49 pm

UMaine has fallen out of favor with the top tier players. For some reason they stopped recruiting the one or two players that were a hallmark of their banner years. I really hurt when Parise R. went there and then stopped playing for a year. They recruited a player that did not fit RB's system. Thank goodness she found it back with AV. Anna D. was recruited and did visit the campus.

UNH might as well be Southern Maine University. They love Maine kids. Maine not getting Frame and Storey vs. UNH is quite telling. They did split the Anderson girls though. I believe it will change big time with Amy. Even with Gary maybe a one year deal, none better to start the process than the two of them. While both players clearly chose a higher level than the AEC, Maine still should be stronger in keeping elite players in Maine. Sarah Marshal and Lisa Blais only two that come to mind that were impact players on the national D1 level that did not play at Maine.
ExpoEddie

Postby LennyH » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Nope. Reading it makes it sound like Maine didn't offer or had no interest which would seem odd. I know that typically many kids in the southern maine don't consider maine. Just curious

It's a fair question. In Mackenzie's case - Maine did not offer, which is not that odd. Our experience, with a few exceptions, was the schools look for mutual interest before offering. I would say Maine's interest in Mackenzie came after she had already established relationships with the other schools, who showed interest earlier and had started the recruiting process with her.
LennyH

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Lenny, Thanks for the info. A lot goes into the decision. Location program, academics, etc. Selfishly I always like to see the home grown talent stay put if it works for the athlete and the school. Maine women's hoop has great history of success, tourney appearances and an excellent following.
I wish her a healthy and fun senior year. It goes quickly. Best of luck!
Bill
hoopsisme

Postby LennyH » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks Bill! I was certainly aware of the rich tradition of UMaine Women's basketball and did reach out early on to the staff. I really felt it could have been a viable option, however, sometimes things happen for a certain reason. We certainly cannot complain about the opportunities she has in front of her at Indiana. Looking forward to this season and you sure are right it goes by WAY TO QUICK!!
LennyH

Postby mainejeff » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 am

I wish that the last 2 decades of in-state recruiting had gone differently for the UM women. That being said.....the program is getting some terrific international players that honestly are a cut above most girls HS players in the state....especially experience and strength wise.

Let's also not dismiss the rise of Southern Maine AAU clubs. I find it curious that the extreme downturn with in-state recruiting coincided with the rise of these clubs. ;)
mainejeff

Next

Return to Basketball (Girls): Maine High School & Amateur