CIC AND CIA will kick out HS BB

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: CIC AND CIA will kick out HS BB

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:50 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Bangor has proven that for waterfront concerts and CIC Events can draw large crowds for top notch entertainment and events. Put 7k plus in the CIC, that creates big money. Those are events that hit revenue streams that the tourney cant. Staffing those events is easier and cost effective. They know by ticket presales for events how to staff it. The tourney can be an absolute wildcard based on matchups, weather, etc. Certainly the tourney keeps the building busy but for many sessions, they barely need 2000 seats. It's also a bit of a wildcard scheduling workers for the tourney based on attendance that may or may not materialize.

You make some very valid points here.

However, there just don't seem to be a ton of Luke Combs or Elton John (two artists who did sell out the CIC) type acts that play the CIC, especially in the winter. I was hoping that the CIC website had a list of past shows and attendance figures the way the old Cumberland County Civic Centers site did (the current Cross Arena site didn't retain it) to see for sure but there isn't one. In 2020, there is literally only one concert listed at the arena in Jan-Feb-Mar, and it's the Christian band MercyMe. Looking at the ticket map at the CIC's site, it's unlikely that'll be one of those big shows.

So while you're 100% right, and Bangor has proven they can put 7000 in the building for shows, they've not proven they can do it very often. If they could, obviously that's where they'd go over the MPA Tourney. But if the past few years were anything like this one, and I bet they were, I'm still skeptical that leaving the arena empty is a better financial decision, unless the CIC was taking a loss. Has anyone seen / heard that they were?

Hopefully reaching an agreement with John Bapst is a positive sign for the future of the tourney.
Rob Kennedy

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:32 pm

It sounds like the tourney will be there this year . Not sure about a final agreement but it's a go for at least this year. Moving forward for future tourneys?????
Keeping the building busy also has to bring a profit. I am certain that if dates come open well in advance, more and more acts will come. The tourney has been a staple but I have sensed since cic opened that the tourney being held there wouldn't always be an automatic. Keeping the building open and staffed for 12-14 hours isn't cheap. Now add in the new security measures. At least for now there is no change. Down the road, who knows!!
hoopsisme

Postby refrider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:40 am

All they have to do is keep the dipping dots station open and they can pay all the employees! lol
refrider

Postby dukefan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 pm

They could run that place with half the staff that they have there tourney week. How many people do you need running around telling people to put their feet down. The city of bangor should run it themselves like they did the Old Auditourim. Does anyone know how much Bangor pays these clowns to manage this place? Metal detectors? Give me a break I go to the Womens College World Series every June in Oklahoma City and there are around 10,000 people there per session No metal detectors Just a guy poking through peoples bags with a wooden drumstick. This Cross Center is a complete joke. I wonder how much of a loss it has each year. I seriously doubt the place makes a profit. Like other posters have said all the big money concerts are outside.
dukefan

Postby hoopsisme » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm

Dukefan. It is difficult to know how many staff members to have from session to session. Crowds vary in size. Can't call workers the morning of an event. Staffing any events is a challenge.
With most if not all the concerts or other paid events at CIC, it is much easier based on presold tickets. There have already been and many more big events at CIC. I know many who prefer it to the outdoor concerts. Weather is a nonfactor, crowd tends to be a little less Rowdy. Bob Seger (sellout) Ron White, several country artists all did very well. Would have gone to Elton John but tix disappeared fast.
In regards to random ushers having to tell people to keep their feet off the seats. You are right. They shouldn't have to but apparently those who think the seat in front is a foot stool, it becomes necessary.
hoopsisme

Postby TheMike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 pm

hoopsisme wrote:In regards to random ushers having to tell people to keep their feet off the seats. You are right. They shouldn't have to but apparently those who think the seat in front is a foot stool, it becomes necessary.

I agree with this post in principle but some ushers get a little too carried away with their "power". A couple of years ago I witnessed a lady in the row in front of me sitting with her legs crossed. The usher came over to her and told her she couldn't sit that way because her toe was touching the back of the seat in front of her.

Everyone around this lady just shook their head in disbelief.
TheMike

Postby hoopsisme » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:10 am

The Mike. That situation is most likely isolated. I see many fans, usually kids with both feet hanging over the seat in front of them. The leg room is tight. I am sure the next person to sit in the seat would like to not sit in dirt, mud, etc. Reasonable request
hoopsisme

Postby Rob Kennedy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm

There will be a couple more games at the Expo this year (and based on MPA's schedule, they'll run concurrently with games at the Cross Arena on Wednesday, February 19th):

Story: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/16/ ... -the-expo/

Portland schedule: http://www.mpa.cc/images/pdfs/basketbal ... d_2020.pdf
Rob Kennedy

Postby MBRRadio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Starting to whittle it down....

Betting in future years only states will be in the big venue.
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Postby Rob Kennedy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:22 am

MBRRadio wrote:Starting to whittle it down....

Betting in future years only states will be in the big venue.

If Augusta remains roughly 1/5 the cost of the other 2 venues, I could also see the finals all being held in the capital, likely over a 2-3 day period. Sure would work out well* to do that if they played Class AA on Friday, classes A & B on Saturday afternoon and night, and then C & Sunday afternoon and evening, but well, you know.....Sunday state finals may be fine for those ruffians over in NH and Vermont, bet they'll never do for the civilized folk here in Maine.

*unless your fan base won't drive more than 20 minutes to see the team play.
Rob Kennedy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur