WHOU Streaming 2020 Tourney Regional Semis and Finals

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

WHOU Streaming 2020 Tourney Regional Semis and Finals

Postby Rob Kennedy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Details here. They're also streaming the HSFB championship games.

One caveat: the article does mention that the semis/finals will be by subscription. The days of free-view for the tourney are over, at least outside of the state finals to this point: MPBN still has those and they haven't announced any pay-per-view.

https://whoufm.com/whou-and-the-mpa-par ... UCJC-4Yjho
Rob Kennedy

Re: WHOU Streaming 2020 Tourney Regional Semis and Finals

Postby lovethegame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

What if we have a subscription to NFHS? All the games will still be on there right?
lovethegame

Postby Rob Kennedy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 pm

lovethegame wrote:What if we have a subscription to NFHS? All the games will still be on there right?

No idea. I don't see how that'd make sense for WHOU, though, so I'm personally not counting on that continuing. But I have no knowledge so that's just a guess.

If it's a total of $20 for the entire tourney at 3 sites (10 for NFHS, 10 for WHOU), I'm personally fine with that.
Rob Kennedy

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 pm

lovethegame wrote:What if we have a subscription to NFHS? All the games will still be on there right?

I am going to guess not since WHOU won the rights over NFHS, why would they be on NFHS...just like last year even though im sure WHOU and Munzing media helped produce the broadcast but it was not on their sites
wmtwsportsprod

Postby Rob Kennedy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 pm

NSN did stream their feed of the regional semis and finals to NFHS. But they weren't charging a subscription so they didn't have anything to lose to offer it on that platform as well. WHOU would.

This is all speculation on my part, like I said. Maybe they will. But if not, I'll understand how come, as I would try like hell to not have to do so if it was my station.
Rob Kennedy

Postby MBRRadio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 am

The WHOU press release:

HOULTON, Maine (Tuesday, October 8,2019) – Northern Maine Media Inc. (NMM), the home
of WHOU 100.1 FM, has been awarded the exclusive contract from the Maine Principals’
Association (MPA) to video stream the 5 games of Maine State football finals and the 60
games of the basketball regional semi-finals and finals. All broadcasts can be seen live,
online at www.whoufm.com.

“We are very pleased to be partnering with the MPA to video stream these events,” said
NMM President Fred Grant. “We’ve been covering teams all over the State through the
regular season and this will provide us the opportunity to carry the coverage into the post-
season.”

WHOU radio started video streaming high school sports in 2012 and has doubled its
coverage every year since that time. The station now has multiple crews around Maine and
covers approximately 250 high school events annually. “These broadcasts give us an
opportunity to showcase more than just the great talent found in our State but also the
superior sense of community found across Maine” stated Grant. “We’re passionate about
what Maine has to offer and pleased to partner with an organization like the MPA that
shares that same perspective.”

Michael Burnham, Executive Director of the MPA stated, “Working with WHOU gives our
schools and the MPA a chance to build continuity with coverage throughout the year.”
Burnham continues, “Additionally, we have been pleased to partner with an organization
that actively hires both high school and college students at all levels of their broadcast.”

The initial agreement is for a 3 year term and tournament coverage will include a multi-
camera, subscription-based broadcast
while all regular season live coverage will be provided
free to viewers.
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Postby MBRRadio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 am

MBRRadio wrote:The WHOU press release:

HOULTON, Maine (Tuesday, October 8,2019) – Northern Maine Media Inc. (NMM), the home
of WHOU 100.1 FM, has been awarded the exclusive contract from the Maine Principals’
Association (MPA) to video stream the 5 games of Maine State football finals and the 60
games of the basketball regional semi-finals and finals. All broadcasts can be seen live,
online at http://www.whoufm.com.

“We are very pleased to be partnering with the MPA to video stream these events,” said
NMM President Fred Grant. “We’ve been covering teams all over the State through the
regular season and this will provide us the opportunity to carry the coverage into the post-
season.”

WHOU radio started video streaming high school sports in 2012 and has doubled its
coverage every year since that time. The station now has multiple crews around Maine and
covers approximately 250 high school events annually. “These broadcasts give us an
opportunity to showcase more than just the great talent found in our State but also the
superior sense of community found across Maine” stated Grant. “We’re passionate about
what Maine has to offer and pleased to partner with an organization like the MPA that
shares that same perspective.”

Michael Burnham, Executive Director of the MPA stated, “Working with WHOU gives our
schools and the MPA a chance to build continuity with coverage throughout the year.”
Burnham continues, “Additionally, we have been pleased to partner with an organization
that actively hires both high school and college students at all levels of their broadcast.”

The initial agreement is for a 3 year term and tournament coverage will include a multi-
camera, subscription-based broadcast
while all regular season live coverage will be provided
free to viewers.

At the end of the day, to summarize this cleanly:

Hoops Quarterfinals are going to continue the way they always have, Football Playoffs before the state finals will continue same way they always have. WHOU replaces WABI as the State Football Championship coverage provider, they replace NSN (Northeast Sports Network) for the basketball regional semis and finals.

MPBN will keep doing basketball finals.

MBR, Munzing, etc will continue to do select playoff games for the markets they cover.

Games will still be on the radio (and hoping to have more of them this year).
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Postby rcouturier » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:27 am

So you will just have to pay for to watch the games and be a member on this station?
rcouturier

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:24 pm

rcouturier wrote:So you will just have to pay for to watch the games and be a member on this station?

I don't know what you mean by "be a member on this station". You will likely have to go to the station website and sign up for a subscription (username / password) to be able to access the games. That would include as the press release said paying a subscription fee via credit card, etc--the amount has not been announced.
Rob Kennedy

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur