Andy Bedard

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Andy Bedard

Postby MBRRadio » Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Andy Bedard, one of Maine's best boys basketball players, scored 53 points in the 1994 state championship game for Mountain Valley and later set records at UMaine: https://t.co/5844MpZDUb

Great feature by Randy here. UMaine's best chance at an NCAA Berth
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Re: Andy Bedard

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 18, 2019 6:08 am

Those were some fun years in Maine basketball !

He still holds multiple tournament scoring records, but his final game at Mountain Valley tops all of his exploits in legend and deed. In the 1994 state final against Camden-Rockport (now Camden Hills), he wowed a packed Bangor Auditorium crowd by scoring 53 points, an all-class state championship record that still stands.

“It’s funny because I think missed my first five or six shots,” Bedard recalled, “and not only did I miss them, but I think they were complete bricks with an air ball thrown in there.”

“You’ve got to love Coach Kaubris and Coach Shorey, it’s not like they told me to quit shooting after I air-balled my first five,” he said. “After my first one went down, it was kind of like I was in this zone where it felt like everything was going in. It was just kind of a blur.”
from Randy's article at the SJ https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/05/17/a ... ry-career/

The western Maine final vs Gorham and State game vs Camden

1994 Western ME Finals MV vs Gorham
https://youtu.be/reRblFL9Cm0

1994 Class B State Game MV v CR
Andy Bedard State record 9 Threes and 53 Points ( Coach Cim ie BC55 on the call )
https://youtu.be/T__oQBLMOeQ
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 am

and over the years a favorite topic on MBR , the best ever ? ..

threads from 2017 and 2009..

2009: Maine's Greatest High School Player Ever?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10703

2017: THE BEST EVER: Mims over Medley ? or Bedard or ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74914
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 am

Tom Nolette wrote:and over the years a favorite topic on MBR , the best ever ? ..

threads from 2017 and 2009..

2009: Maine's Greatest High School Player Ever?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10703

2017: THE BEST EVER: Mims over Medley ? or Bedard or ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74914

"TOM": Couldn't agree more. Great times and great posts and post responses on MBR. Thanks for the memories.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby MBRRadio » Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm

The Hot Corner: Bedard, Caouette and a bygone era: https://t.co/O1RGmFvtDT

"Magical stuff happened every time the youngsters took the court"
By Kalle Oakes, Columnist

Because their careers didn’t perfectly overlap, and with their schools doing business at different enrollment levels, the Andy and T.J. Show happened only four times. It only felt like a dozen. And those games were like our little version of Woodstock, in that the people who weren’t privileged enough to be inside the building now insist they were.

Puiia Gymnasium in Rumford, home to a storied Class A powerhouse in the mid-to-late ’70s, was built to accommodate such a spectator crunch. Still, there wasn’t a seat to be had by the time the Falcons took the court to the haunting opening strains of Deep Purple’s “Knocking at Your Back Door.”

Winthrop’s gym had all the atmosphere without the elbow room. Tucked in a back wing of the old high school on Highland Avenue, its bleachers were about eight rows high on each side, with a modest stage to accommodate the inevitable overflow. When the Ramblers hosted one of Bedard’s Mountain Valley teams, either you purchased your pass in advance or you showed up an hour before the junior varsity tip-off, stood in a line out to the parking lot and prayed that the athletic director didn’t lock the door in front of you. Just think of it as Studio 202.

Read more: https://t.co/O1RGmFvtDT
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Not to rock the Bedard basketball boat here on his thread, but the mention of other great players in that time period brings the following memory to me and I had the thrill and pleasure of doing the WABI-TV Color Commentating of the Mt. Valley-Camden Hills state championship game at the old Bangor Auditorium and witnessed and described Bedard's outstanding 53 point performance.

It brought back to me the following memories that the previous year's 1992-93 senior class was one of the strongest if not the strongest Maine high school basketball senior class ever.

First team Bangor Daily News All-State team

Class A Old Town, 6'1 point guard Matt Arsenault
Class A Point guard Bangor 6'3" Mark Reed, State A Champions
Class B Center 6'11" John Bapst, Ken Rassi, State B Champions undefeated 22-0
Class A forward 6'4" Garret Quinn, Skowhegan,
Class A Sanford guard 6'0" Chris Kumba

All were seniors

Matt Arsenault, Maine's Mr. Basketball and Ken Rassi Maine's Gatorade Player of the year

Reed went to D-1 Liberty,
Rassi went to D-1 Fresno State and then transferred to UNH
Quinn went to UMaine played baseball

2nd All-State team
Tony Tobin, Limestone, Guard, senior
Aaron Harris, Lawrence Guard, senior
Jeff Love, Winthrop, Forward, senior, Class C State Champions
Steve Pooler Old Town Forward, senior
Bobby Davies, Old Orchard, Guard, Junior

3rd team
Andy Bedard, Mt. Valley, Guard, sophomore
Bert Rich, South Portland, Guard, senior
Josh Nash, Medomak Valley, Forward, sophomore
T.J. Caouette. Winthrop, Forward, freshmen, Class C State Champions
John Tennett, Bangor, Guard, senior

Also, some outstanding players were only honorable mention because the overall classes was so strong with the first three teams. I was familar with the following: Ryan Bradford-Bangor, John L'Heureux-Old Town, Jon Dahl-Houlton, Chris Funk-Caribou, Wade Brazier-Hermon, Mike Geisler-Camden Hills, John Hebert,-Mt. View, Darren Meader-Waterville and Scot Springer- OLd Town.

Many of Maine high school basketball so called experts thought that the class of 1993 was one of the strongest ever in the history of Maine high school basketball if not the strongest ever. They also thought it was one of the strongest if not the strongest lst-2nd-3rd teams and honorable mentions selections in Maine high school basketball history.

Bangor and Bapst won the A and B state championships and they both were located on Broadway in Bangor about 3 miles apart.

Winthrop won the C State Championship and Jonesport-Beals won the D State Championship.

The Saturday afternoon before the tournament week in February of 1993 the John Bapst Crusaders hosted the future State Class C Champions Winthrop Ramblers in a tournament tuneup exhibition game at Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor. The Crusaders came from 17 points down after Rassi had fouled out to edge the Ramblers in a great game after losing to Winthrop at Winthrop in a pre-season exhibition game.

Great players, great games, great teams and all around great basketball and experts and fans are/were only stating their opinions, and opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

Remember those that think/thought that the class of 1993 was/is one of the best if not the best senior class in a long time and maybe still stayed that way even until today and as I posted above about opinions.

Or it could be just "different basketball strokes for different basketball folks" or "What floats some peoples basketball boat doesn't necessarily float others basketball boat".

I'm sure that many MBRers will disagree with this post, so let's just agree to disagree positively and share your individual thoughts about which senior class over the years is one of the strongest if not the strongest in the history of Maine high school basketball.
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Tue May 21, 2019 2:59 pm

That was a great season for sure.
mario_spaghettio

Postby geezil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 pm

...............Just think (for B-ball)
Before TV: Waterville-Winslow drew a packed house for any contest (40"s). And there were town teams (up to 50's).
Before the smart phone: The home team could draw a decent crowd.
Now: Only parents and some relatives might be seen.

Technology has its downside. I used to have balsa glider that could do the loop de loop, even fly a kite on occasion, or have a piece of string and a tin can that might amuse me.
geezil

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:01 pm

geezil wrote:...............Just think (for B-ball)
Before TV: Waterville-Winslow drew a packed house for any contest (40"s). And there were town teams (up to 50's).
Before the smart phone: The home team could draw a decent crowd.
Now: Only parents and some relatives might be seen.

Technology has its downside. I used to have balsa glider that could do the loop de loop, even fly a kite on occasion, or have a piece of string and a tin can that might amuse me.

"geezil": Great memories those championship Winslow teams of Bill Mansfield in the late 30's, the great Waterville teams of the 40's and Waterville under Wally Donovan being the only Maine high school team ever to win a 6 state New England Schoolboy Tournament. They played the NE's at Brown University in RI before they moved the NE's to the old Boston Garden and it' s parquet floor at North Station.

When Stearns won the NE's in 1963 it was only a 5 state championship as Connecticut had pulled out it's 2 teams from the NE's a year or so before.

Bangor High in the 40's won the State L Championship in 1947 and went to the New Englands and played in the old Boston Gardens, but lost uin the opening round and were runnersup in State in 1948.

I can remember as a 10 year old going to all the Bangor home games at the first Bangor Auditorium which was a wooden yellow painted building that held around 2000 and it was located at the current site of the Cross Insurance Center at the corners of Main and Buck Steets across from the current Hollywoods Slots.

All those home Bangor games were sold out and standing room only in the late 40's.

The L tournament was held at the "PIT" in Memorial Gym at the UMaine University Campus in Orono.

The M and S tournaments were held in that Yellow painted wooden first Bangor Auditorium where Bangor practiced and played it's home games until 1956 when the 2nd Bangor Auditoriun known as the "Mecca" was opened.

Thanks for the memories geez.
bcbc55

Postby geezil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 pm

.........Bob--Who was the player that had first utilized the jump shot in Maine. I don't know, but I am curious to find out. Some clues include a jumper pix of Stanley Beal in the BDN (Eastern Maine D Tourney), and about the same time you had Jackie Scott (both early fiftes). As I recall, both had the shot down pat, but was there another??? It would be interesting to find out why these guys used the shot and how they came across the idea (Kenny Sailors (Montana??) invented the shot because his older brothers kept stuffing him).
geezil

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur