Coaching Openings

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Coaching Openings

Postby SMAA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Heard today that the parents did not want the Bonny Eagle coach back and the same thing for the Yarmouth coach.
Parents control who coaches and who don't nowadays.
SMAA

Postby MJ123 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 pm

It's really sad. I bet there will be some people going for that BE job.
MJ123

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:33 pm

MJ123 wrote:It's really sad. I bet there will be some people going for that BE job.

"MJ123": What coach would want to go into a situation where the parents are running the show. Just being hired to be fired IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the right parent's kid doesn't get the playing time the parents think he should..
bcbc55

Postby frankj » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

Heard today that the parents did not want the Bonny Eagle coach back and the same thing for the Yarmouth coach.
Parents control who coaches and who don't nowadays.

If these are true; I would encourage any coach looking for a good chance to build a program to skip applying for either of these positions.
I would encourage all the parents that foolishly undermined the coaching staff to coach by committee; police personnel should be on duty at each practice and game to make sure the parents don't kill each other.
frankj

Postby HoopHopeful » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 am

It's a blessing for one of those towns... The amount of talent on that squad over the years should have produced multiple gold balls.

If the parents did help with his departure they did that community and group of athletes a favor.
HoopHopeful

Postby 3baller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:05 am

Who are the front runners for the Bangor/Orono positions? Will we see someone new or someone coming out of retirement?
3baller

Postby MJ123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am

I think Bangor will stay in the program and tab John Mccalin their JV coach. As for BE/Yarmouth I don't know who is going to apply their. They may stay in house. But it will be Intresting to see who gets the job for both these programs.
MJ123

Postby lovethegame » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 pm

HoopHopeful wrote:It's a blessing for one of those towns... The amount of talent on that squad over the years should have produced multiple gold balls.

If the parents did help with his departure they did that community and group of athletes a favor.

This post doesn't sit well with me. As a coach who knows about how hard it is to get talented athletes to play together it really irritates me how people throw out random opinions that have no merit. Yes, they are your opinions. But realistically, how many people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to organized high school athletic programs, knows what it takes to win a championship, with or without the "talent?" Case in point, look at the college playoffs this year. So many upsets. Teams that were bigger, stronger, faster, younger, and that had more experienced coaches lost to smaller schools that hardly ever, if ever, make the D1 playoffs. And why? Because these teams have players that stick around for more than 1 year, have experience, get to know their teammate's tendencies, are willing to work hard and develop their own game, and have one collaborative goal in mind. This is not always the case with most teams.

You can have great coaches, amazing talent, supportive fans and parents, and a supportive administration, and still year after year, your teams will lose. Not every team comes together at the right time, or at all for that matter. Sometimes too much talent is a bad thing. Many times multiple huge egos is a very bad thing. And 100% of the time, overbearing and unrealistic parents is definitely an extremely bad thing.

Things have to be taken in perspective. It's very hard for people to do that. So frustrating.
lovethegame

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:00 pm

lovethegame wrote:
HoopHopeful wrote:It's a blessing for one of those towns... The amount of talent on that squad over the years should have produced multiple gold balls.

This post doesn't sit well with me. As a coach who knows about how hard it is to get talented athletes to play together it really irritates me how people throw out random opinions that have no merit. Yes, they are your opinions. But realistically, how many people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to organized high school athletic programs, knows what it takes to win a championship, with or without the "talent?" Case in point, look at the college playoffs this year. So many upsets. Teams that were bigger, stronger, faster, younger, and that had more experienced coaches lost to smaller schools that hardly ever, if ever, make the D1 playoffs. And why? Because these teams have players that stick around for more than 1 year, have experience, get to know their teammate's tendencies, are willing to work hard and develop their own game, and have one collaborative goal in mind. This is not always the case with most teams.

You can have great coaches, amazing talent, supportive fans and parents, and a supportive administration, and still year after year, your teams will lose. Not every team comes together at the right time, or at all for that matter. Sometimes too much talent is a bad thing. Many times multiple huge egos is a very bad thing. And 100% of the time, overbearing and unrealistic parents is definitely an extremely bad thing.

Things have to be taken in perspective. It's very hard for people to do that. So frustrating.

lovethegame: GOOD TIMING POST. Excellent, timely, relevant, informative, insightful and meaningful post especially seeing that Contract renewals for Maine high school varsity basketball coaches will be coming out soon for next year.

Maine contracts are for just one year at a time and if coaches contracts are not renewed with no given reason then their is nothing the coaches can do.

Maybe the MABC (Maine Association of Basketball Coaches) membership should think about voting to boycott any school(s) that gets rid of their coach because of parental complaints. It's time to take some desperate measures and if AD's and other administrators aren't going to do anything about this problem and support their coaches, then the coaches will have no one to blame but themselves when they get fired because of unhappy parents.

Then the school would have to maybe hire one of those complaining parents.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Yarmouth will get quality coaches to apply. Every coach who applies absolutely believes they can be successful, the kids will buy in, parents will support the program and administration has their back. However, reality will kick in before first season is over. Coaching is like opening a restaurant, 90% close within three years or in coaching not rehired. Makes Jim Ray's tenure at Cape so impressive.
ExpoEddie

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur