No more T's on Dunks Sports Chowdah 2/22

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: No more T's on Dunks Sports Chowdah 2/22

Postby Narrfan19 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

calculator wrote:O Head Man

For your info...M word is politically incorrect and offensive

Snow flake :roll:
Narrfan19

Postby Trump2020 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:14 pm

As a player a few years ago, I remember my coach telling us that Webb instructed the officials to call a carry on any behind the back dribble, because it is "impossible" to perform a behind the back without carrying. Webb is a sad excuse and should no longer be in charge here. Around the country, high school basketball is exploding. In Maine, it's getting less and less enjoyable for players and fans. Webb does not put best refs in biggest games, he puts the ones who call according to his old, outdated version of basketball.
Trump2020

Postby hoops88 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Please will all the old farts controlling Maine high school basketball please fade away. I've paid for my last high school admission ticket in Maine until they remove all the current leadership. I will not pay to see idiotic officiating like this. I don't need to attend. I have no kid playing, I go because I enjoy the game. But I'm done. Actually, I take that back. I'm pretty close to the NH border. I have taken in a few NH games. In all honesty, the officiating in NH compared to Maine is night and day.
hoops88

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 pm

hoops88 wrote:Please will all the old farts controlling Maine high school basketball please fade away. I've paid for my last high school admission ticket in Maine until they remove all the current leadership. I will not pay to see idiotic officiating like this. I don't need to attend. I have no kid playing, I go because I enjoy the game. But I'm done. Actually, I take that back. I'm pretty close to the NH border. I have taken in a few NH games. In all honesty, the officiating in NH compared to Maine is night and day.

hoops88: I won't and don't attend high school games either accept for Bangor high home games, but it isn't the reason you have stated.

As you don' t like the officiating I don't care for the lack of high basketball IQ's being played from the shoulders up because of low basketball IQ's by most teams which means they are playing from the shoulders down..

If teams played from the shoulders up there would be better shot selection, fewer turnovers, fewer player-out-of-control fouls and fewer defensive fouls.

If the teams played better maybe the officials would officiate better.

Just a difference of opinion. Just agreeing to disagree. Like "Different basketball strokes for different basketball folks".

Just A case of each group coaches, players and officials getting together to make the game better to play and watch and to officiate.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 am

Maine's dunking problem — Technical fouls causing uproar
http://www.sunjournal.com/maines-dunkin ... ournament/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:54 am

We've been talking about the effects of peter on basketball for decades..Now that every one can pig-pile on with social media, perhaps we'll see a change ..

I find it interesting that coaches, media speak up now when this has been going on and complained about heavily for past 20 years .. Why this year.. where were coaches and media for past 20 years .. oh , I know.....

Latest Media ...
Maine's dunking problem — Technical fouls causing uproar

...“The problem with that is we’re the only state calling it this way,” said Mike Rutherford, a Portland resident who serves as a basketball game official at both the high school and college level.

Rutherford believes the rule is being enforced more in the playoffs at the behest of the head of the Maine Basketball Commission, which oversees officiating at high school games.

“Right now I believe officials are calling that (rule), knowing their supervisor, Peter Webb, wants it called,” Rutherford said. “It’s well known that he wants the technical foul called for grasping the rim. This never happens in the regular season but you have to understand, the officials want to move on to the bigger games, too.”

All tournament officials’ assignments are made by Webb or one of his tournament site supervisors. Webb is not in charge of regular-season assignments.

http://www.sunjournal.com/maines-dunkin ... ournament/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Patsfan07 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:42 am

Changing the rule or replacing the Commish.....which would be simpler and less time consuming ? Maine is the only state that enforces it to the letter of the law....enough said.
Patsfan07

Postby frankj » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am

Well, from what I saw in the Northern Maine tournament it may be changing already. In the games I watched there were probably 6 or so dunks and NO technicals.
I enjoy watching teams that play as teams and care more about TEAM success than individual success; that certainly is "old school"; however, it is effective/ winning basketball. People may pile on CIM and the rest of us, but,there is 0% doubt in my mind that if CIM were coaching a team of less or at least equal talent in today's game, his team would win at a higher % of the time than when he coached 20 years ago. However, today, people are more interested in the high flying stuff because why...it is now an individual-based game. I could care less, as a coach, if someone has 2 points from a dunk or a nice lay-in off the square.
To each his own; I still like watching games that matter and the excitement of tournament basketball!

Coach J
frankj

Postby dunbar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 am

There were no techincals for dunking in Bangor. However, in the Hermon-MDI game, when Marseille graciously laid it in a couple of time, the first thing I looked for was who was at the table. And yes, Peter was there. Wasn't there most of the week, but was there on Saturday.

I've said this before. If one's person's presence can totally change how a game is being officiated, then that person's influence and authority is far too destructive to warrant being able to continue in said position of power.
dunbar

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Personally it looks like the only way out is to get parents who focus on coaches to redirect their energy to getting rid of Webb. They need to be convinced at least in the short run their kids will play in a better game without him. It also means he has zero say in his replacement. Then the AD's and their administrations fall in behind the parents and with a domino of T's Webb is gone.

It is clear school districts are unwilling or unable to take on this lead. Parents can also lobby their representatives in Augusta to take action. Ask Hinckley how that worked out.
ExpoEddie

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur