Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby TAallday » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

AA North (Maine's best conference):
-Portland (Leader)
-Edward Little
-Oxford Hills
-Windham
-Bangor

AA South:
-South Portland (Leader)
-Scarborough

A North:
-Hampden (Leader)
-Nokomis

A South (Maine's second best conference):
-Greely (Leader)
-Biddeford
-Westbrook

B North:
-Hermon (Leader)
-MDI
-Presque Isle

B South:
-Wells
-Cape
-Yarmouth

Beyond B, I don't have much knowledge. I know that Hermon and GSA look good in C though. Good teams for sure.
TAallday
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby tjm502 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:46 am

B North

I would put Winslow before PI, but I also wouldn't sleep on Oceanside either the way they have played the last 2+ weeks. Hermon is clearly the top team in Class B North and probably the top team in Class B, but the playoffs will be very interesting.

B North
Hermon
MDI
Winslow
PI
Oceanside

Winslow and Oceanside play Saturday night in Cony for the KVAC Class B Championship and then they will play next Saturday in Bangor in the 1st round. Each team is 1-1 on the season against each other with each team winning on their home court. In the words of good ole JR... Should be a slobberknocker both Saturdays!
tjm502
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby MrBeauxJanglesDeux » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:24 am

TAallday, you listed Hermon as the Leader in Class B north on your list and then claimed them and GSA as favorites in Class C.

Hermon may be good, but not good enough to win 2 classes, unless the MPA can make a little spare change in the deal!
MrBeauxJanglesDeux
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby Bcgamblers » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Is sopo still the favorite in South , another big injury is being rumored
Bcgamblers
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby ExpoEddie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Coyne on crutches when Dogs played them Tuesday night.
ExpoEddie
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby Class C Dad » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Class C South
I think it’s between Hall Dale and Waynflete in the south

Class C North
GSA is still the favorite but their first round game against Lee/Houlton will be interesting. That may be their toughest game until they reach state game against South winner
Class C Dad
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby Bcgamblers » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Heard another name injured along with coyne , hopefully not true , nice if all teams are healthy as possible
Bcgamblers
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby wings » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm

TAallday wrote:AA North (Maine's best conference):
-Portland (Leader)
-Edward Little
-Oxford Hills
-Windham
-Bangor

AA South:
-South Portland (Leader)
-Scarborough

A North:
-Hampden (Leader)
-Nokomis

A South (Maine's second best conference):
-Greely (Leader)
-Biddeford
-Westbrook

B North:
-Hermon (Leader)
-MDI
-Presque Isle

B South:
-Wells
-Cape
-Yarmouth

Beyond B, I don't have much knowledge. I know that Hermon and GSA look good in C though. Good teams for sure.


It’s difficult to gauge the strength of regions. We can find many examples of A teams beating AA teams this season. We can compare head-to-head. For example, Biddeford beats a good KVAC club in Brunswick by 9. KVAC clubs in Medomak Valley and Camden Hills, both in A North, defeated Brunswick by similar margins. Biddeford beat Westbrook in an A South battle by 23 points. South A Westbrook beat a good AA Windham team. A North Nokomis beat a decent AA Bangor then A North front runner Hampden posted 80 on AA Bangor. In B North, Ken Lindlof’s Winslow club closed the season by winning 12 Straight games...As tjm notes, it’s gonna be a battle with Oceanside in a 4-5 B North Quarterfinal.

I Like the Greely backcourt of Bagshaw and DeWolfe. Certainly Greely started strong on the shoulders of McDevitt in the A State game last season. To me, though, DeWolfe throttled Violette. Messo’s Offense never got untracked because of the job DeWolfe did on Violette. A Hampden-Greely final would be a good one.

One more thought......I watched Oxford Hills in their 3rd game of season via MBR livestream. Wasn’t extremely impressed. Late in this game , coach Graffam dropped his face in his hands. He must’ve been thinking along the same lines, he must’ve been thinking we have a lot of work to do... OH ended season by winning 7 straight. Wonder if any AA team has the firepower to take down Portland in tourney...
wings
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm

wings wrote:
TAallday wrote:AA North (Maine's best conference):
-Portland (Leader)
-Edward Little
-Oxford Hills
-Windham
-Bangor

AA South:
-South Portland (Leader)
-Scarborough

A North:
-Hampden (Leader)
-Nokomis

A South (Maine's second best conference):
-Greely (Leader)
-Biddeford
-Westbrook

B North:
-Hermon (Leader)
-MDI
-Presque Isle

B South:
-Wells
-Cape
-Yarmouth

Beyond B, I don't have much knowledge. I know that Hermon and GSA look good in C though. Good teams for sure.


It’s difficult to gauge the strength of regions. We can find many examples of A teams beating AA teams this season. We can compare head-to-head. For example, Biddeford beats a good KVAC club in Brunswick by 9. KVAC clubs in Medomak Valley and Camden Hills, both in A North, defeated Brunswick by similar margins. Biddeford beat Westbrook in an A South battle by 23 points. South A Westbrook beat a good AA Windham team. A North Nokomis beat a decent AA Bangor then A North front runner Hampden posted 80 on AA Bangor. In B North, Ken Lindlof’s Winslow club closed the season by winning 12 Straight games...As tjm notes, it’s gonna be a battle with Oceanside in a 4-5 B North Quarterfinal.

I Like the Greely backcourt of Bagshaw and DeWolfe. Certainly Greely started strong on the shoulders of McDevitt in the A State game last season. To me, though, DeWolfe throttled Violette. Messo’s Offense never got untracked because of the job DeWolfe did on Violette. A Hampden-Greely final would be a good one.

One more thought......I watched Oxford Hills in their 3rd game of season via MBR livestream. Wasn’t extremely impressed. Late in this game , coach Graffam dropped his face in his hands. He must’ve been thinking along the same lines, he must’ve been thinking we have a lot of work to do... OH ended season by winning 7 straight. Wonder if any AA team has the firepower to take down Portland in tourney...


Wings: If Oxford Hills had Matt Fleming how strong would they be, and how weak would Bangor be without him.

EL has the athletes to go with Portland. They lost to Portland 78-70 early in the season at EL.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10475
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Top Teams Heading Into the Playoffs

Postby wings » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
wings wrote:
TAallday wrote:AA North (Maine's best conference):
-Portland (Leader)
-Edward Little
-Oxford Hills
-Windham
-Bangor

AA South:
-South Portland (Leader)
-Scarborough

A North:
-Hampden (Leader)
-Nokomis

A South (Maine's second best conference):
-Greely (Leader)
-Biddeford
-Westbrook

B North:
-Hermon (Leader)
-MDI
-Presque Isle

B South:
-Wells
-Cape
-Yarmouth

Beyond B, I don't have much knowledge. I know that Hermon and GSA look good in C though. Good teams for sure.


It’s difficult to gauge the strength of regions. We can find many examples of A teams beating AA teams this season. We can compare head-to-head. For example, Biddeford beats a good KVAC club in Brunswick by 9. KVAC clubs in Medomak Valley and Camden Hills, both in A North, defeated Brunswick by similar margins. Biddeford beat Westbrook in an A South battle by 23 points. South A Westbrook beat a good AA Windham team. A North Nokomis beat a decent AA Bangor then A North front runner Hampden posted 80 on AA Bangor. In B North, Ken Lindlof’s Winslow club closed the season by winning 12 Straight games...As tjm notes, it’s gonna be a battle with Oceanside in a 4-5 B North Quarterfinal.

I Like the Greely backcourt of Bagshaw and DeWolfe. Certainly Greely started strong on the shoulders of McDevitt in the A State game last season. To me, though, DeWolfe throttled Violette. Messo’s Offense never got untracked because of the job DeWolfe did on Violette. A Hampden-Greely final would be a good one.

One more thought......I watched Oxford Hills in their 3rd game of season via MBR livestream. Wasn’t extremely impressed. Late in this game , coach Graffam dropped his face in his hands. He must’ve been thinking along the same lines, he must’ve been thinking we have a lot of work to do... OH ended season by winning 7 straight. Wonder if any AA team has the firepower to take down Portland in tourney...


Wings: If Oxford Hills had Matt Fleming how strong would they be, and how weak would Bangor be without him.

EL has the athletes to go with Portland.


bcbc, we can assume OH would be much stronger with Matthew Fleming. Bangor would be a different team. EL? I like coach Adams. Since he arrived, EL has been a perennial contender.

You know Cim, wasn’t too long ago these A teams who have defeated the AA teams this season were all Class A. You and Lenny and others speak of open tourney....
wings
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bcgamblers, footballkicker77, fromthebench, geezil, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, madman31, Majestic-12 [Bot], newmember and 211 guests