Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm

good point O head man.....like all the "fair weather" Patriot fans who now want to replace "In Bill we Trust"...now they are calling him "Bell i choke"

reffan did learn today that there is an issue on that coaching staff....Coach Halligans long time asst. coach....Henry Hilton has been pushing the "slow it down" style.....Coach Halligan, reffan has heard from a really good source, that he put his foot down after the game and said...NO MORE STALLING!....he is going to back to the style that got him 500 wins!

would not be surprised to see Coach Hilton leave Falmouth this year...rumor has it...he is heading to Sacoppee Valley....
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:03 pm

reffan wrote:good point O head man.....like all the "fair weather" Patriot fans who now want to replace "In Bill we Trust"...now they are calling him "Bell i choke"

reffan did learn today that there is an issue on that coaching staff....Coach Halligans long time asst. coach....Henry Hilton has been pushing the "slow it down" style.....Coach Halligan, reffan has heard from a really good source, that he put his foot down after the game and said...NO MORE STALLING!....he is going to back to the style that got him 500 wins!

would not be surprised to see Coach Hilton leave Falmouth this year...rumor has it...he is heading to Sacoppee Valley....

=================================================
reffan: "A very good fast athletic team can't make a very good slow non-athletic team go fast, but a very good slow non-athletic team can make a very good fast athletic team go slow".

In 1990 John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor "a very good slow non-athletic Eastern Maine Class C team beat a very good fast athletic Western Maine Class C team in the Class C state championship game at the Augusta Civic Center 43-36.

2 Trivia Questions for anyone here on MBR

What Western Maine Class C team did John Bapst beat in 1990?

Who was the coach of Western Maine C team that Bapst beat in 1990?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby Patsfan07 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm

reffan wrote:good point O head man.....like all the "fair weather" Patriot fans who now want to replace "In Bill we Trust"...now they are calling him "Bell i choke"

"In Bill we Trust" was replaced with "The Butler did it".
Patsfan07

Postby calculator » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Over the years Falmouth has had a lot of great teams and players. Probably produced as many college players if not more than any school in Maine. This years team(minus two starters)still in my opinion has enough talent and experience to compete playing normal tempo. I don't know if he trust his players or feels he has a better chance of winning playing the slow down game. As far as JV team out there ...last I knew you had 12-14 man varsity roster. Its a lot easier to coach a loaded team than a decimated one. Im not knocking his philosophy or success. I feel bad for his players having to play this style and not being able to take the reins off. I spoke with one of Falmouths players father and he is very unhappy with the style of play. Is this helping the team now and in the future? Are there senior players getting their due respect?

Calc.
calculator

Postby HoopHopeful » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Who cares how many wins he has, the fact is, watching that style of boys high school basketball sucks. I can't imagine being asked to play that way... The objective is to develop players, provide a great experience for them and to teach life lessons. If it's only about winning, then yeh, he's knocked it out of the park. I like an up tempo, look to score high possession game, it's exciting to watch and exciting to play.

O Head Man wrote:Like I said, I don't know a lot about Falmouth basketball and this team, but I do know that Dave Halligan has over 500 career wins. And isn't the object to win the game? A guy loses 3 starters, is "playing his JV team" as someone says here, has him team sitting in 4th place, and he's being criticized for having to alter his strategy in order to do what he thinks is best for his team? 500 wins doesn't get you a pass even for one season? Now who's the "charmin" generation?
HoopHopeful

Postby HoopHopeful » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 pm

I concur with you Calc, there is enough talent on that team to come up with a game plan that doesn't require the kids to play at a snails pace. The difference this year is he doesn't have the one or two standouts that can use multiple screens to score at will. The current group of players are better than this style of bball.

calculator wrote:Over the years Falmouth has had a lot of great teams and players. Probably produced as many college players if not more than any school in Maine. This years team(minus two starters)still in my opinion has enough talent and experience to compete playing normal tempo. I don't know if he trust his players or feels he has a better chance of winning playing the slow down game. As far as JV team out there ...last I knew you had 12-14 man varsity roster. Its a lot easier to coach a loaded team than a decimated one. Im not knocking his philosophy or success. I feel bad for his players having to play this style and not being able to take the reins off. I spoke with one of Falmouths players father and he is very unhappy with the style of play. Is this helping the team now and in the future? Are there senior players getting their due respect?

Calc.
HoopHopeful

Postby reffanfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm

huge reffan fan so I created a fake account...

Hilt going to Sacopee Valley is also fake. He is too metropolitan...plus he runs that school (Falmouth).

I will apologize up front as I assume you folks have discussed this many times.....why no shot clock? everybody I ask has no clue. None of this happens---games and players would improve or they will end up scoring 25 points...
reffanfan

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Reffan is flattered!

Reffan did hear from a goog friend who has a son on the Falmouth team that coach Hilton and Halligan have not spoken since the Westbrook game and a divorce is imminent....

Sacoppe would be lucky to get Henry....
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Reffan and other MBRers : I will try again seeing no one has answered my 2 questions in my above post.

In 1990 at the ACC what Western Maine Class C team did John Bapst of Bangor defeat in the State Class C Championship game 43-36 in a slow ball control game dictated by John Bapst to slow the Western C Champ down?

Who was the coach of that Western Maine Team?
bcbc55

Postby oscar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Falmouth // Halligan
oscar

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur