Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Westbrook Falmouth 27-25

Postby calculator » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Expo

Clan is very happy...they won the game.
calculator

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:Two evenly matched teams, 2 coaches with Gold Balls on their resume. Makes no sense.

PFO7: Maybe just a little, tiny, bit of coaching egos:

Maybe neither coach wanted to be the first to give in to the other. It takes "Two to do the slow tango" when both teams hold the ball the scores will be in the teens or single numbers like 13-12, 10-8 and 10-9.

If one team doesn't want to be a partner to the "slow tango all they have to do is speed up the tempo by pressing full court, fast breaking off defensive rebounds, turnovers and run their normal offense and the scores are usually in the thirties for one team like 43-36, 42-33 46-33 and 30-28.

These are real scores for real games that my teams played in and we won all but the 13-12 game. That one and the 10-9 and 10-8 were regular season scores.

All the others were post season tournament games.

Maybe this 27-25 score is a "Very, very slow WALTZ" game strategy.

So I speak from experience and that is why "CuriuosG" said this post was for bcbc. Thanks again CG, it brought back some interesting memories for me.
bcbc55

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 am

wow...this WAS a boys game!

shot clock anybody??? reffan did hear that Boomer actually sat down in the stands while Falmouth was stalling in the third quarter....
reffan

Postby HoopHopeful » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am

I've had the misfortune of watching the Falmouth coach in action this season, his game plan this year is to keep possession of the ball and slow the game and his players down. They scored more points in the Cape league as pre teens..

It is awful basketball to play and even worse to watch. I feel terrible for his players, you can sense they can't stand playing this way. Sorry but the game has evolved and he hasn't... time for new blood

reffan wrote:wow...this WAS a boys game!

shot clock anybody??? reffan did hear that Boomer actually sat down in the stands while Falmouth was stalling in the third quarter....
HoopHopeful

Postby O Head Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am

I don't really know much about Falmouth, but I know that they have lost a number of key players to injury this season and are having to play much deeper into their roster than they otherwise would have. And I don't recall in any of their recent history that this has been part of their strategy. Perhaps it's as simple as a coach having to adjust his strategy temporarily, to give his team the best chance to win, given the personnel that he is now having to utilize?
O Head Man

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

Reffan just heard that Webb has gotten hold of the tape and is sending it to all the tourney zebras with this statement:

"THIS IS HOW THE GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED!.......Dribble with hand on top of ball, pass and move without the ball....do not dribble behind the back...that would be a double dribble, do not take a 3 point shot....that line is a communist invention....hold ball for 3/4 minutes...wait for open layup...if open lay up appears DO NOT attempt a dunk...just lay it in.....a communist came up with the dunk too.....on defense just dive in the ball handlers way....will be called a charge...which means fewer points! If any crew can keep teams from scoring 20....you will get a State game!!!"

reffan can see Webb watching this tape over and over and over....like a 5 year old who watches a Barney video over and over and over and over!
reffan

Postby HoopHopeful » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 pm

It's still awful basketball to watch and probably even worse to play. I can't imagine the kids are enjoying their season. Personally, I'd rather lose, and go down swinging and exchanging blows. Seriously, 25 points in a boys HS game is outrageously boring... He has enough horses on that team to still be competitive and allow his kids to play.

O Head Man wrote:I don't really know much about Falmouth, but I know that they have lost a number of key players to injury this season and are having to play much deeper into their roster than they otherwise would have. And I don't recall in any of their recent history that this has been part of their strategy. Perhaps it's as simple as a coach having to adjust his strategy temporarily, to give his team the best chance to win, given the personnel that he is now having to utilize?
HoopHopeful

Postby calculator » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Amen HH
calculator

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes, Dave lost 3 starters, two before season started. He is really playing his jv team. Getting 9 wins from that group is an unbelievable accomplishment. However, how do you balance a chance of winning versus less than inspiring game plan for players and fans. Merit to both sides as posted.

My best friend Steve Manoogian is flying in from Vegas and planning on a family meeting. He will arrive for the tournament to see Dogs and Blazers. While upset about the score, he is more upset about Zac getting 3 assists, in one Game! Of course he had to take a shot at yours Truly, Expo Eddie in stating his career assist would of hit 10 if I made just 10% of my layups from his pass.
ExpoEddie

Postby O Head Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Like I said, I don't know a lot about Falmouth basketball and this team, but I do know that Dave Halligan has over 500 career wins. And isn't the object to win the game? A guy loses 3 starters, is "playing his JV team" as someone says here, has him team sitting in 4th place, and he's being criticized for having to alter his strategy in order to do what he thinks is best for his team? 500 wins doesn't get you a pass even for one season? Now who's the "charmin" generation?
O Head Man

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur