REFFAN IS THIS A TRAVEL

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: REFFAN IS THIS A TRAVEL

Postby dunbar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 pm

wonderbread wrote:Get ready for "Whistle Mainia" 34.

Who won the Ref Rumble for an automatic shot at a title game at Whistlemania 34?
dunbar

Postby O Head Man » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 pm

dunbar wrote:
wonderbread wrote:Get ready for "Whistle Mainia" 34.

Who won the Ref Rumble for an automatic shot at a title game at Whistlemania 34?

Rocky Buck would have to be a leading contender. He's 80, and specializes in making calls outside of his PCA . . .both very high on God's list of desirable characteristics for tourney officials.
O Head Man

Postby wonderbread » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 pm

You could have a tag team category but definitely no flyweight division!! Reffan will decide who gets the ZOW belt for now there are lots of contendahsss!!!
wonderbread

Postby refrider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm

This is an easy call. On a jump stop, if the player comes down on both feet at the same time it is legal. if one foor=t comes down before the other, it is a travel. On this play we can not see the feet. therefore to disagree with the call would be just a guess!
refrider

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 pm

refrider wrote:This is an easy call. On a jump stop, if the player comes down on both feet at the same time it is legal. if one foor=t comes down before the other, it is a travel. On this play we can not see the feet. therefore to disagree with the call would be just a guess!

refrider: It is a legal Jump Stop, If the player caught the ball while in the air or picked up the ball with both feet of the floor (which you don;t see very much) and he lands with one foot first and then the other. the first foot that lands on the FIRST IS THE PIVOT FOOT.

Sorry, but it is not a travel so long as both feet are in the air when the player receives the ball from a pass or picking up his dribble and then when one foot hits the floor. The one foot is just a pivot foot.

Agree couldn't see feet so it is tough to make the call.

However, it wasn't the trail officials PCA (primary coverage area) he should not have made the call, it was the lead official's call. Just another case of an official making a call out of his PCA when he should have been watching elsewhere in his own PCA. It happens, but it doesn't make it right.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:47 am

Wrong yet again o master of the bball universe. When a player recovers the dribble during a jump stop, both feet have to hit the floor at the same time. If the player comes down with one foot and then the other, it is a travel. Since we couldn't see the feet from this footage, we can't make a ruling one way or another!
refrider

Postby reffan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 am

actually this is the rule....

leave on one foot and land on two it is a legal jump stop

leave on one and come down on one foot and then the other...it is an illegal jump stop (travel)

I think what Cim is saying (in 400 words instead of 20)...is when a player leaves the floor (ends the dribble) with the ball in his hands (D1 players do it) then he can come down with one foot and then the other and it is legal.
Hard to do, but it can be done.

reffan wishes the zebra's just use common sense.....if its not clear....let it go....as a fan I was quite impressed with this young lady's ability to make that move.....
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 pm

reffan wrote:actually this is the rule....

leave on one foot and land on two it is a legal jump stop

leave on one and come down on one foot and then the other...it is an illegal jump stop (travel)

I think what Cim is saying (in 400 words instead of 20)...is when a player leaves the floor (ends the dribble) with the ball in his hands (D1 players do it) then he can come down with one foot and then the other and it is legal.
Hard to do, but it can be done.

reffan wishes the zebra's just use common sense.....if its not clear....let it go....as a fan I was quite impressed with this young lady's ability to make that move.....

reffan: Thanks for helping me clarify the rule.

Anytime a player is in the air and then controls the ball from a pass or a dribble they may land on both feet. either foot is the pivot foot or they land on one foot and then the other the foot that hit the floor first is the pivot foot.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:56 pm

refrider wrote:Wrong yet again o master of the bball universe. When a player recovers the dribble during a jump stop, both feet have to hit the floor at the same time. If the player comes down with one foot and then the other, it is a travel. Since we couldn't see the feet from this footage, we can't make a ruling one way or another!

refrider: Please go to rule book; Rule 4 Section 44
Traveling Article 2 a. and b. I

RERIDER: your description above is what I was referring to rule I quoted above states it is not a travel. Article 2 a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands
3. on one foot followed by the other, the first too touch is the pivot foot.....NO TRAVEL.

Agree can't see feet, can't see it can't call it.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 pm

two different rules. The play that was in the original post is not that which you sited.
refrider

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur