Webb's Golden Tickets are out!

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Webb's Golden Tickets are out!

Postby ranger3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am

I recall this conversation in the past and it basically sums up why they are having a hard time getting, retaining, younger referees.

In my opinion, if during the regular season you can anonymously rate someone as average or below average (once you are in the top category) you can easily in a coward like fashion hold others back.

Once you get to the tournament selection you can again play a real "inside politics" game of either saying "No" or "Don't Know" even when you do know that someone is highly qualified.

From some of the people I've talked to a few of the tourney refs play a highly skilled game of saying bad things about Webb to those who don't like him, while simultaneously defending him to those who do like him, all the time making certain they stay on top.

There are certainly some great refs out there confident enough in themselves to not do so but there are a few real slick willies out there. While they might do a good job they are even better at the political game.
ranger3

Postby reffan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

sadly ranger...you are right....

forgive the reffan for having a naive look at what officials are supposed to be doing...

This is precisely the reason why officials should never have the right to rate fellow officials.....human beings will always knock down their fellow humans to reach the top...in any profession.

Webb is supposed to be looking out for the "game". putting in a system (peer ratings) and that system knocks out officials who are viewed as "excellent" is so wrong.

reffan knows he is sounding like a broken record but isn't Webb's job to put the best officials on the court so the boys and girls can have the fairest chance to advance?

To keep excellent officials at home when they qualify is wrong and athletic administrators should hold that man accountable!
reffan

Postby Carl Parker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Boomer would be on my list if he was available.
Carl Parker

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 am

Carl,

reffan believes he would be on most coaches list.....

He would be on reffans!

rumor has it....Boomer has hired a lawyer and is suing Webb for discrimination......

Lawyer's name is Jackie Chiles......
reffan

Postby BHS FAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Boomer had 12 games as of the voting...simple as that.
BHS FAN

Postby HoopHopeful » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I had the good fortune of having Boomer ref one of my daughters game her freshman year. He was probably one of the best ref's I've watched. In fact, he should be the one replacing Webb..

BHS FAN wrote:Boomer had 12 games as of the voting...simple as that.
HoopHopeful

Postby reffan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Bhsfan
Reffans good friend...the assignor....just confirmed...boomer has 15 games!
The assignor has a house in Costa Rica...not far from reffans!

Stop spreading fake news! Or reffan will start calling u cnnfan
reffan

Postby BHS FAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Haha...not fake news. Just fact...give Mrs. Reffan my best. You have a great life!
BHS FAN

Postby reffan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 am

BHSfan,

mrs. reffan is doing great...she is actually with our two boys in Costa Rica....reffan is too busy with work to join her but thanks for asking.

reffan did some checking and here are the facts:

1. whatever info you got...12 games....is correct if you did not count this past week. The high school assignor verified that Boomer did three games this week to make his 15 games. So your "fact" would be a fact if you did not count this week

2. By Webbs rule, you must work 15 games in the season....and you have until the last day of regular season to achieve this.

3. The hs assignor sent Boomer's name in to Webb as qualifier weeks ago because he had 15 games scheduled.

4. Only qualified names are then compiled and sent out to the boards for "peer" voting. Boomer's name was on that list.

**and yet he did not get a Golden Ticket by Willy Webb.....

Even CNN would have to say that the "peer voting" is the reason why Boomer is not in the tourney...

and this is a shame and the peer voting (the Boomer rule) should be abolished!

so BHSfan...whoever you talked to that has access to the assignor system....tell him to check again....and then please send the reffan an apology......
reffan

Postby BHS FAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Ahhh got it. That is why you are the reffan and I am just a bhs fan.
BHS FAN

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur