Webb's Golden Tickets are out!

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Webb's Golden Tickets are out!

Postby reffan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 pm

lol reffan likes you BHSfan!

all joking aside....it is sad that Webb is using a "peer" voting system to make sure a ref can not work the tournament.....sadder to think Boomer's fellow officials would stab him in the back.....just to gain favor with God.....et tu brute....

*every game you watch....and you get more upset over the ******* calls made....just think that "Boomer" was eligible to work that game.....

Biddeford or Bangor H.S. fan??
reffan

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm

For the first time in 6 years, I did not have to watch the worst ref with a whistle, Maria, do a game. Lauren Rousseau? did PHS/DHS girls last night. I thought was rock solid as been a bit since last seen her ref.
ExpoEddie

Postby tarheel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 am

Kyle Price has punched his ticket to a state game. 5 carries and a carry call on a behind the back dribble at the Messo vs Cony game.
tarheel

Postby reffan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am

Kyle "the Price is right???

Oh yeah....calling a double dribble on a behind the back dribble is worth at least a Regional Final!!

What would be on the Webby checklist for zebras hoping to move on?? hmmmmm

1. call at least 10 travels
2. call every contact at the hoop an offensive foul
3. issue a "coaches" warning
4. Send a player out of the game for an untucked shirt
5. call a behind the back dribble a double dribble
6. On a dunk, call a T *when you are watching a game....on a break away from a kid who looks like he could dunk...watch the zebra's faces....they are just praying for the kid to try to dunk....they already have the hands ready to make a T...."please dunk...oh please...oh please....please...please......" almost like sex....
7. call 3 seconds..even if the player only has a toe in the lane
8. call lane violations
9. On a legal spin move...call it a travel....cant be "athletic" in Webbs world
10. Tell Webb and or Fuller that you voted NO to Boomer on the peer votes....
reffan

Postby frankj » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Reffan,
You may have already posted this at some point, however, what would your method be for selecting refs for MPA tournament play?
frankj

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm

frankj wrote:Reffan,
You may have already posted this at some point, however, what would your method be for selecting refs for MPA tournament play?

Frank: I would want to go back to the old way when we as coaches listed 10 officials in the order of preference and both teams got one official from their list to do the game.

Sometimes both teams got officials from each teams list so they each got two for their game because the officials were on both teams list.

This kept the referees out of it completely accept for commissioner picking officials off the teams list to do the games.

Commissioner could send out list of officials from each board that met the requirements.
1. Have done 50 varsity games in career and 2. have done 15 varsity games for the completed season 3. Member in good standing

OFFICIALS SHOULD NEVER HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH RATING OR LISTING OTHER OFFICIALS FOR ANYTHING TO DO WITH GETTING ASSIGNED REGULAR SEASON OR TOURNEY GAMES.

When I was operated on I wanted to chose the doctor and the officials that did the operating not somebody else.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:16 pm

"I would want to go back to the old way when we as coaches listed 10 officials in the order of preference and both teams got one official from their list to do the game.

Sometimes both teams got officials from each teams list so they each got two for their game because the officials were on both teams list."

Quote from bcbc55 above.

As someone that enjoys math, let me tell you why this doesn't work. lets say you have a staff of 40 officials that works games in Augusta. You have 42 team for A,C,and D which that board services. Each of those teams get ten votes. Queen Mertzel gets votes from every team. probably 5 others do as well. Then the herd thins, vote wise, to have enough officials to work the number of games that need to be serviced. 8 game day needs 24 refs. Those five guys can only work 1 game each, if they are available. leaves 35 others right? Wrong! Figure in college assignments, school affiliations, black balls by coaches,refs away on vacations, injuries, and many other factors and the teams are lucky to get one official from their list. So what you see is 1 guy hopefully from someones list and two guys that hopefully don't screw up the game!
refrider

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

refrider wrote:"I would want to go back to the old way when we as coaches listed 10 officials in the order of preference and both teams got one official from their list to do the game.

Sometimes both teams got officials from each teams list so they each got two for their game because the officials were on both teams list."

Quote from bcbc55 above.

As someone that enjoys math, let me tell you why this doesn't work. lets say you have a staff of 40 officials that works games in Augusta. You have 42 team for A,C,and D which that board services. Each of those teams get ten votes. Queen Mertzel gets votes from every team. probably 5 others do as well. Then the herd thins, vote wise, to have enough officials to work the number of games that need to be serviced. 8 game day needs 24 refs. Those five guys can only work 1 game each, if they are available. leaves 35 others right? Wrong! Figure in college assignments, school affiliations, black balls by coaches,refs away on vacations, injuries, and many other factors and the teams are lucky to get one official from their list. So what you see is 1 guy hopefully from someones list and two guys that hopefully don't screw up the game!

rerider: I understand where you are coming from then double it and go to 20 on a preference list and go back to 4 even classes and would that should take care of it and let officials do 2 games a day especially with 3 person crews. One boys game and one girls game a day as needed.

Officials that block out for college games and who are not available don't usually get tourney games as officials are supposed to be available and if they are not available.

Also nothing wrong with 3 person crews working two games a day as I suggested above. In fact, I can remember in the 60's when coaching at Orono when they used 2 person crews that some worked two boys games a day during quarterfinals and there were 32 quarter-final games and we only voted for 10 officials. Never was a problem then.

Now with 3 officials and boys and girls games have schools list 20 or 25 in order of preference. Would that cover it mathematically if they could do 2 games a day?

If 2 officials could do 2 boys game a day back in the 60's officials, then they should be able to do a boys and a girls game with 3 officials in one day.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Maybe allowing two games in a day might help. But there is always the endurance factor. Have you looked at the herd lately. The most unathletic group in history. Now lets say you have the ref for game two of his day and he had an overtime thriller in his first game. How confident are you that he is going to be in position to make the correct call at the end of the game. I believe that is the reason the two a days were eliminated. The best way to fix the problem is to recruit college players and groom them. But there needs to be some understanding from the coaching community that even with athletic officials there are going to be mistakes. Players miss layup, coaches make bad substitutions and other things. Give the new nes a chance before coaches crucify them! Fans too!
refrider

Postby 14espninsider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 pm

reffan wrote:Kyle "the Price is right???

Oh yeah....calling a double dribble on a behind the back dribble is worth at least a Regional Final!!

What would be on the Webby checklist for zebras hoping to move on?? hmmmmm

1. call at least 10 travels
2. call every contact at the hoop an offensive foul
3. issue a "coaches" warning
4. Send a player out of the game for an untucked shirt
5. call a behind the back dribble a double dribble
6. On a dunk, call a T *when you are watching a game....on a break away from a kid who looks like he could dunk...watch the zebra's faces....they are just praying for the kid to try to dunk....they already have the hands ready to make a T...."please dunk...oh please...oh please....please...please......" almost like sex....
7. call 3 seconds..even if the player only has a toe in the lane
8. call lane violations
9. On a legal spin move...call it a travel....cant be "athletic" in Webbs world
10. Tell Webb and or Fuller that you voted NO to Boomer on the peer votes....

Calling a double dribble for dribbling behind the back?? Sounds like the price is wrong if you ask me!
14espninsider

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur