Scarborough 69 Portland 66

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Scarborough 69 Portland 66

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Congrats to the Red Storm. Fiorillo was a monster from the three point stripe and Portland falls. Thoughts?
fromthebench

Re: Scarborough 69 Portland 66

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 pm

fromthebench wrote:Congrats to the Red Storm. Fiorillo was a monster from the three point stripe and Portland falls. Thoughts?

fromthebench: Thanks for the score.

Proves theory of "anything can happen on any given night can". That's why they play. Takes pressure off Portland for an undefeated season, easier to go all the way with just a loss then no losses and I speak from experience.

It was easier being 17-1 and winning a state at 21-1 then twice going 18-0 and ending up 22-0 and winning states.

The undefeated seasons seemed more of relief than that of the joy of the 21-1 season for everyone involved.

The remaining 2 undefeated teams Hermon and Greely better watch out now as Hall-Dale fell to Dirigo today.

Thought Portland would be the team with the best chance of going all the way undefeated, now they will just have to go all the way with at least one loss.

But sometimes that can be a blessing in disguise for a team, coach and the players as I stated above. Easy to win it with a loss then without one.

(3 minutes)
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 pm

I agree. Portland was flat after playing last night and Scarborough was lights out from three in their home gym. This does take the pressure off Portland going towards playoffs.
fromthebench

Postby bgflem » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:37 pm

How about giving Nick Fiorillo and his Scarborough teammates the respect they deserve for an amazing game?! They obviously came ready to play! Why not give them the evening to celebrate?!
bgflem

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm

fromthebench wrote:I agree. Portland was flat after playing last night and Scarborough was lights out from three in their home gym. This does take the pressure off Portland going towards playoffs.

fromthebench. Darn it, I was hoping Bangor would get them first next Saturday. Portland 11-1 can't use back-to-back games as an excuse as Scarbrough 11-3 played Friday the 19th and won 61-45 and Portland beat Cheverus Friday by 22 59-37. Portland had the easier time Friday night.

Maybe it was the long road trip to Cheverus and Scarbrough was at home Friday. Isn't home court supposed to be worth 10 point advantage? That must have been the difference and the Storm only won by 3.

Like I said before this loss does Joe and the players a favor even though they may not think so right this moment.

Oh well, both at number one in the AA's divisions.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 am

Huge win for Scarborough program ! Congrats !

Sharp-shooting Scarborough stuns Portland for historic, statement victory

...The Red Storm, who started 0-10 in 2016-17, but have come to life this winter under second-year coach Phil Conley, fell behind the powerhouse Bulldogs, 17-7, in the first quarter, but unlike so many of Portland’s other foes in recent years, Scarborough refused to buckle and roared back in emphatic fashion.

Junior sharpshooter and captain Nick Fiorillo’s 3-pointer late in the first period opened the floodgates and the Red Storm eventually went on a jawdropping 31-5 run behind a flurry of 3s off the hands of Fiorillo, senior captain Morgan Pratt and sophomore reserve extraordinaire Brian Austin.

Scarborough took a 38-26 advantage to halftime, but to the surprise of no one, the Bulldogs roared back with a vengeance in the third quarter, producing a spectacular 23-4 run of their own, sparked by the shooting of junior Simon Chadbourne, the rebounding dominance of junior Pedro Fonseca and the leadership of seniors Griffin Foley and Terion Moss, who became just the third player in Portland’s storied history to eclipse the 1,000-point scoring mark.

- http://www.theforecaster.net/sharp-shoo ... t-victory/
- https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/20/ ... irst-loss/

.@bulldognationAD Terion Moss becomes third Bulldog to reach 1,000 career points, but Brian Austin, Morgan Pratt and Nick Fiorillo, lead @redstorm_sports to big win at home
video: https://twitter.com/joebaileysports/sta ... 8728336385
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby hoops88 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am

The 3 point shot. We've had it for 31 years but only seems to be the deciding factor more recently. I will have to watch the game video. Love seeing great shooting.
hoops88

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

I was at this game and I have to give Coach Conley a lot of praise in winning this game. I don't think South Portland realized what they were losing when the got rid of him. It really looked like the Scarborough players have bought into coach Conley's system. You can tell that really enjoy playing for him. Fiorillo is the real deal he can shoot lights-out. South Portland did land another good coach in Kevin Millington. He's been around for quite awhile and he knows how to coach. Portland's coach Russo is definitely one of the very best and this loss just might be the best thing to happen to his team getting rid of the win streak before heading into the playoffs. And speaking of South Portland they got dumped by Thornton yesterday. After the games yesterday this tells me that we are looking at a great Tournament this year at least in AA.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby ExpoEddie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:53 pm

I posted comments in another threads, but Portland was not flat. You are what you practice and Scarborough clearly practiced better in preparing. The Dogs are not a team you would think would go undefeated. Coach Russo and his entourage will make adjustments and be a different team by tourney. That is what he does. The team can look flat as there is not a vocal leader. They don't showboat or gesture to the crowd. Griffin shows the most, and that in itself is pretty reserved.

The one thing that Scarborough did was come back and take on the fight again after Portland destroyed them first 6 minutes of the 3rd. Rarely seen in these parts. Also, come tourney Russo's approach on O & D work quite well on the Civic Center floor.
ExpoEddie

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur