ZEBRAS

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: ZEBRAS

Postby Bcgamblers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 am

You can teach size with correct positioning and boxing out , used to be a guy in Saco that could teach that.
Bcgamblers

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Bcgamblers wrote:You can teach size with correct positioning and boxing out , used to be a guy in Saco that could teach that.

"Bcgambers": Thanks for the support. Add to that how to seal defender depending on how he is being defended, show where he wants the ball on the pass, signaling when he wants it, what to do if he is being fronted or played from either side or from behind.

As I tried to tell TK, you as a coach can't grow size but you can certainly coach, teach it, etc., when he posted "you couldn't teach size".

Thanks again.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 pm

Getting back to the original post, As someone who watches 10 or so games a week, I would totally disagree with Shire. The officiating has never been worse. I don't have a horse in any race up here and sit in the stands night in and night out and just shake my head at some of the calls that are being made!
refrider

Postby Therealslimshady » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 am

Refrider,

Where are you sitting in the stands and since there are bad calls IYO, who are some of the better horses your way?
Therealslimshady

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 am

Regardless of the officiating good or bad it is always an inch better than the playing and the coaching at the high school level in Maine. It has always been that way. At least the officials know all the rules and if the coaches and players did they would be better coaches and players.

How can you do your best when you don't know the rules of the game. The rule book is not that hard or long to read.

Refs have to take and pass the annual IAABO written test every year to ref, but the coaches and players have no test of any kind to pass to play or coach each year.

He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and that includes a fan, player, coach or parent who complains about officials and their calls when they don't know the rules half of the time.
bcbc55

Postby O Head Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

We all like to give the officials a hard time, myself included, so I thought it was only fair to point out some great officiating that i saw last night in Waldoboro. Closing minutes of MV/Morse with MV up 20. MV clears its bench. After the official hands the ball in, Morse coach clears his bench. About a minute runs off the clock and the Morse subs are still waiting to get in as there's no stoppage in play. Finally, with about 50 seconds left, one official blows his whistle during live action, says "my time". He then bends over and unties his shoe and then reties it, and waves the Morse subs into the game. Nicely done!
O Head Man

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:21 pm

O Head Man wrote:We all like to give the officials a hard time, myself included, so I thought it was only fair to point out some great officiating that i saw last night in Waldoboro. Closing minutes of MV/Morse with MV up 20. MV clears its bench. After the official hands the ball in, Morse coach clears his bench. About a minute runs off the clock and the Morse subs are still waiting to get in as there's no stoppage in play. Finally, with about 50 seconds left, one official blows his whistle during live action, says "my time". He then bends over and unties his shoe and then reties it, and waves the Morse subs into the game. Nicely done!

O Head Man; Not to rain on your parade, but ref could have tied his shoe as soon as he saw the Morse subs at the table.

However, losing team's should always surrender first then the winning teams knows the losers have had enough and usually should sub at the same time if game has been decided by the point spread and then there won;t be this problem of subs waiting at the table and losing playing time.
bcbc55

Postby O Head Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

You’re not raining on my parade, you’re raining on the parade of the official who did this. He didn’t need to stop the game at all. By the time the Morse players made it to the scorers table, the ball was already back in play. After about 1:30 had run off the clock without a whistle/stoppage, and only 50 seconds or so were left, and it appeared that the clock may expire without those kids even getting into the game at all, he elected to do what he did. I thought that showed a lot of class on his part.
O Head Man

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm

O Head Man wrote:You’re not raining on my parade, you’re raining on the parade of the official who did this. He didn’t need to stop the game at all. By the time the Morse players made it to the scorers table, the ball was already back in play. After about 1:30 had run off the clock without a whistle/stoppage, and only 50 seconds or so were left, and it appeared that the clock may expire without those kids even getting into the game at all, he elected to do what he did. I thought that showed a lot of class on his part.

"O Head Man": Ref should have shown a lot of class earlier, I have done that when officiating, especially when the coach of the losing team didn't sub first. Not going to penalize the players. Whats an extra whistle to stop the clock to tie your shoe lace, to get the subs into the game, after all they all work hard in practice and deserve a chance to get on the court as quick as they can once the game has been decided.

A plus for the ref even though he was late, but a minus for the coach because he was real late.

(1:33)
bcbc55

Postby O Head Man » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Note to self: Don't criticize the refs or Bob will tell you it's because the players can't play. Don't compliment the refs or Bob will tell you the refs could have done better. Got it!
O Head Man

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur