State of the Game

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

State of the Game

Postby Claude » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 am

I see a lot of games but never have witnessed so many bad teams and I have never seen such bad shooting.

It really is a downer.

:cry:
Claude

Re: State of the Game

Postby coachr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:56 am

Claude, I couldn't agree more. Kids spend most of their time on their technology gadgets. Now, if only video gaming became a varsity sport, then we'd see a level of play that is unparalleled. I've watched warmups of varsity teams, both girls and boys, where teams will miss 10 or more shots in a row, and these are uncontested shots, of course. Players dribbling with their head down, unable to go left, etc. And does anyone shoot jump shots anymore?

Coach R
coachr

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:48 am

Now, if only video gaming became a varsity sport, then we'd see a level of play that is unparalleled.

Yep. Probably. Oh, hey! Look at that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc7Q_2BZOB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVTubLOyTk8

Without parents getting in the way and embarrassing their kids by yelling at officials, coaches, and other players :)
Sean Stackhouse

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:54 am

Probably doesn't come with the same conversations around the dinner table about how the coach doesn't know anything and how mommy and daddy are going to take care of their child and make sure that mean coach that benched little johnny gets fired.

And hey - even better, competitors can practice during any season, regardless of the weather, and they don't seem to need adults to organize all their practices for them! This is what we want for basketball, yes? Sounds like another realm of competition does it better :D
Sean Stackhouse

Postby coachr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Sean Stackhouse, please don't tell me that they offer scholarships for this?
coachr

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm

State of Game:

1. Too many coaches, players, parents and fans think Maine high school basketball should be played like what they see on TV D-1 and NBA Ball.

A. So many coaches buy in as it is easy to try to play athletic basketball when they don't have athletes to play that way, because that takes a lot more time and effort called coaching to coaching basketball players to play basketball instead of having non athletic players trying to play HS basketball.These TV games are usually played by the players from the shoulders down relying on their athleticism skills not their basketball skills. "Players taking themselves to the game, not allowing the game to come to them. TV games are for entertainment nt for basic sound fundamental skills and high IQ play".

Low basketball IQ's which lead to poor basketball decision making skills that leas to poor shot selection (poor shooting) increased turnovers and more fouling both player control and defensive.

B. Over use of the 3 point shot because they see it used all the time on TV but there are several reasons for over use and abuse of the 3 on TV. Games 8 or 16 minutes longer, shot clock forces quicker 3's, and distance is 4 feet longer in NBA and 1 foot longer in College, the distances get players to the line quicker than in hugh school so up it goes.

C. HS Coaches do not teach shooting fundamentals or they don't know how to teach shooting fundamentals and to correct shooting problems of their programs. If a coach can't demonstrate the proper shooting fundamentals themselves successfully than players are not going to buy into what a coach is trying to sell. Today's players wnat do as I do, not as I say to do.

You think shooting is bad now and scores are so low even when the teams are really trying to score wait until it comes tourney time and teams have to play on a 94 X 50 court which they are not prepared for physically and they wonder where their legs go when shooting, facilities with poor shooting backgrounds and then watch how poor the shooting is and they are supposed to be the best 8 teams in each of the 5 classes in the North and the South.

Add up all these negative factors and you have what you have IN THE STATE OF THE GAME and it will only get worse come tourney time as the pressure is on in the one and done season and the ball seems to get bigger and the rim seems to get smaller CAUSED BY THE PRESSURE of bigger crowds, bigger facilities and one loss and done.

Also, teams not prepared for the bigger courts and shooting backgrounds unless you're Portland (Expo) and John Bapst (CIC) who play all their home games on such courts. However, Portland doesn't need much of that as an advantage although it certainly is and John Bapst if history keeps repeating itself the past 10 years probably won't
make the tourney in Bangor at the CIC.
bcbc55

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm

coachr wrote:Sean Stackhouse, please don't tell me that they offer scholarships for this?

Yep. https://blog.starters.co/17-colleges-wi ... 01b5c4f3ce

As soon as the NCAA can find a way to make money from it they'll try to come in and completely bastardize it, but for now... It's in a good place :D
Sean Stackhouse

Postby Claude » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 am

One thing I should add is Bless the Kids that do play, at least they are trying.

:)
Claude

Postby hoops88 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

Great. First day of the New Year and another, "These damn kids today" post.

FWIW, I never take in a high school game until mid-January. It takes a month or so of practice and games for the teams to click and the shooters to get their touch back.

And yes, the video games today are a lot cooler than we had on the old Atari, but that is not keeping the varsity kids from showing up to practice.
hoops88

Postby hibbert » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Here's what I don't get about the "lazy kids today and their video games" argument... why is this the kids fault?

Kids will naturally gravitate to what is fun and what they enjoy spending their time doing. Apparently, according to many basketball watchers, that isn't basketball right now. Shouldn't the question be: "Why don't more kids enjoy playing basketball anymore?"

Personally, I think the reason that question isn't asked is because the answers will hurt the wallets of people charging money for 12 year olds to play on year round travel teams or to attend shooting schools. If we adults just got out of the way and let kids actually play basketball with their friends, I think you'd see a lot more kids play basketball. And maybe a few will decide to take it more seriously, but let's hold off on making that decision for them until they are old enough to make it.
hibbert

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur