2017/18 Zebra of the Week

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: 2017/18 Zebra of the Week

Postby ballinrebel09 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:55 am

Anybody had any ZOY 2017 sightings yet?! Wonder how Mr. Kimball has been so far this year. Wondering if hes learned a true 5 count yet.
ballinrebel09

Postby reffan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:39 am

reffan thinks Kimball retired.....reffan saw him doing Volleyball this fall.....does not have to count there....

Cimbo for ZOW? reffan is intrigued by that suggestion......

Just watched a little of the Ox Hills/SP game......this is a classic.....Skip "Eagle Eye" Capone was "coatless" in warmups!!! the other two.....Ken Norton and some bald guy...think his name is Paris.....they had coats on....Eagle Eye must have forgot his....

Oh boy...if that was Boomer.....2 year suspension for that infraction!!!

question from the reffan.....if one guy in the crew forgot his coat.....why wouldn't they all just go coatless....why make Skip look like misfit???

Answer.....the other two would be scared to death if Mad Dog Fuller found out....they would be off the tourney list

reffan does not like this....they are supposed to be a team out there.....just shows how things have changed on IAABO 21

knowing Eagle Eye....he must not have been happy!!!
reffan

Postby reffan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:12 am

The first ZOW of the 17/18 season will be announced at 600......on reffan twitter account

@highiqreffan

Down to 2 zebras

Skip "Sloth" Capone

Mike "I should have stayed in the" Woods

*Skip is doing everything he can to get the award.....taking a dunk away with an offensive foul, not wearing a coat, and he follows the reffan on twitter....might be a bigger suck up than Clemenza!!!
reffan

Postby county hoopster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 am

reffan wrote:Georgie Porgie in the County??? George must really want the first ZOW bumper sticker!!

Reffan did some checking...guess George charges the schools an appearance fee.....

He gets the going rate to ref. $70.00 (approx.)

He gets milage..... $173.50

He gets a hotel room...... $100 a night

He gets per diem......$60 a day

and he gets a $200.00 appearance fee.....

Ayoob told the reffan the officiating is so bad up in the county....schools will pay whatever it takes to get the top refs up there!

follow the reffan on twitter.......... @highiqreffan

Yes, reffan, you’d have a hay day up here in the County.
county hoopster

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:I think Cimmie should get the Zebra of the Week Award even though he is retired, but for all he did in his time. They should have a Hall of Fame for refs like him.

AB

AB: Thanks for the recommendation, but if Eastern Maine IABBO board 111 had anything to do with my selection I would be at the bottom of the list and never be selected even though I wrote the first basketball assignment program in the state fr any mpa sport, was the first assigner of any sport in the late 70''s which was used as a model state wide, was Board 111 president for a year, on the executive committee fr many years, on the basketball commission for many years as an Eastern coaches representative member as I had many clashes and disagreements with them over the years with Board 111 and the commission. I saw things as what was best for the game, the schools, coaches and the players and they saw things as what was best for the officials only,

The big difference was I saw things from the game' s side, the players, schools and coaches side as a former player, coach, official and school athletic director and all the changes made were for the benefit for the 5 officials boards, and the mpa.

AB, thanks for the recommendation I really appreciate coming from you.
bcbc55

Postby frankj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

I will second Cim for ZOW.
He tells it like it is to whomever; rather they like it or not.
He knows the rules but uses "common sense" in applying them to the level of play or the present circumstances at any particular time. He also has fun as needed while administrating a game.

Coach( Ref, announcer, fan, player and parents of players) Johnson
frankj

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:16 pm

frankj wrote:I will second Cim for ZOW.
He tells it like it is to whomever; rather they like it or not.
He knows the rules but uses "common sense" in applying them to the level of play or the present circumstances at any particular time. He also has fun as needed while administrating a game.

Coach( Ref, announcer, fan, player and parents of players) Johnson

frankj: Thanks for the second recommendation after AB. We reffed together, did to MBR.ORG tourney games on the computer for TOM together. Remember those red shirts he gave us? I still have mine. We always talked basketball when ever we were together. Miss you up here in the frozen north this week. Keep in touch as the high school season goes on. I bet you are warmer in Tennessee then we are in Maine and with less snow. Thanks again for thinking of me.

Your friend, CIM
bcbc55

Postby frankj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:36 pm

CIM,
Thanks for the kind words and memories. I still wear that MBR.org shirt at times here in the South.
Yes, I miss the coaching, ref, anouncing times from the Great State of Maine.
Today was unusually cold for here; it started at about 26 this morning but never got above 31 which is the unusual part.
Went to a H.S. Christmas tourney here in which McCallie beat rival Baylor, 49 - 39. It was a tough defensive battle; McCallie was never in danger; they are 15-0 and one of the best teams in Tennessee. Three man crew did the game; pretty good job. Would be done like a Western Maine AA game - no blood no foul.

Coach J
frankj

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm

frankj wrote:CIM,
Thanks for the kind words and memories. I still wear that MBR.org shirt at times here in the South.
Yes, I miss the coaching, ref, anouncing times from the Great State of Maine.
Today was unusually cold for here; it started at about 26 this morning but never got above 31 which is the unusual part.
Went to a H.S. Christmas tourney here in which McCallie beat rival Baylor, 49 - 39. It was a tough defensive battle; McCallie was never in danger; they are 15-0 and one of the best teams in Tennessee. Three man crew did the game; pretty good job. Would be done like a Western Maine AA game - no blood no foul.
as a
Coach J

FranK: Your welcome but I thank you more for your kind words and seconding my nomination for R of W award. High 3 above today and 11 below tonight with about 15 inches of the white stuff on the ground.

Always enjoyed your company and we did have good times working for MBR.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby reffan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 am

As announced last night on twitter.....The first winner of the 2017/18 Zebra of the Week is Skip "Sloth" Capone

Eagle Eye edged out Mike "I should have stayed in the" Woods

His offensive foul on an uncontested dunk and going coat less got him the award
*following the reffan on twitter didn't hurt him either......reffan loves a "suck up"

Reffan will be sending him a ZOW bumper sticker and a letter of authenticity....

**Reffan is also sending Cimbo one.....as a testament of his years of zebra service!

Reffan did hear that Woods was very upset that he did not get the award....hang in there Woodsy.....reffan is sure you will do something to get nominated again....reffan has seen you work....

Happy New Year!!! follow the reffan on twitter @highiqreffan
reffan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur