MPA impact on Christmas / Holiday Tournaments

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

MPA impact on Christmas / Holiday Tournaments

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:53 am

after years of this MPA policy, how's it working ? .. What was MPA goal ?

..... There will be plenty of seats available. The crowd was in the 200-300 range for Tuesday’s games, a far cry from when the Expo’s holiday event used a tournament format.

“I was here for 14 years when it was a tournament, and you had brackets and it was exciting, and it’s sad to see it like it is now,” said South Portland Coach Kevin Millington.

The combination of teams playing a regular-season game during the holiday break and being limited to five exhibition contests by the Maine Principals’ Association ended the tournament format three years ago.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/26/h ... -the-expo/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MPA impact on Christmas / Holiday Tournaments

Postby reffan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am

Reffan agrees with Coach Jay Leno.......reffan hates the MPA.....this stupid 5 exhibition game rule is the worst rule ever!!!

reffan remembers the days of the Portland Christmas tourney when the semi final night was sold out!!! you got to see a Falmouth go up against a Great Cheverus team or SP team. There was always one stud out of state team too.....

reffan was down the expo last night.....and it felt like reffan was at a Hilary Clinton book signing stop in West Virginia.....

good job MPA....keep up the good work.....
reffan

Postby hoopsisme » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 am

5 dates not games. Many states have holiday tournaments as part of thier schedules and they count. With the many unique scheduling issues, taking away the Xmas week would squeeze the schedule
hoopsisme

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm

hoopsisme wrote:5 dates not games. Many states have holiday tournaments as part of thier schedules and they count. With the many unique scheduling issues, taking away the Xmas week would squeeze the schedule

hoopisme: And if it had not been for a former high school basketball coach as a principal it would have been just 5 games not 5 dates. This 5 thing was a political move because part of the state was upset that they didn't get invited to play exhibition games out of teir area and didn't want to play teams in their area.

Before this great mpa 5 rule came in it was up to local control how many exhibition games each team played. mpa on a good day stands for the maine political association and on a bad day the mpa stands for the maine pinheads association.They have more poor policy and rules then they do good policies and rules.

Just my opinion based on being a member for 40 years as a coach and 16 as an AD and being on the football, swimming and classification comittes.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 pm

The MPA has earned the scorn of every hoop fan in Maine. 5 dates compounded the problem by having coaches often play two games in a day to get their dates worth. So you have kids in gyms three times as long, and playing tired increasing chance of injury. The Expo Holiday/Christmas tourney enabled smaller, often northern teams to come and showcase when they had an elite player(s), team. Dexter with the big 6'8" kid who starred on Notre Dame one of the last. Coach Halligan won the tourney as a Class C & Class B school. 2nd in titles only to Joe Russo.

I bet most coaches would add a week of three games to play this in a tourney bracket at the Expo, the way life should be. The halftime Hot Shot competition was awesome to watch. I cannot identify if the last 20 years where the MPA made a change that was actually in the players best interests or made the game better. The team from Brookline last night was very good. Disciplined, tough, well coached and relentless. Rocked the Dogs first half.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:The MPA has earned the scorn of every hoop fan in Maine. 5 dates compounded the problem by having coaches often play two games in a day to get their dates worth. So you have kids in gyms three times as long, and playing tired increasing chance of injury. The Expo Holiday/Christmas tourney enabled smaller, often northern teams to come and showcase when they had an elite player(s), team. Dexter with the big 6'8" kid who starred on Notre Dame one of the last. Coach Halligan won the tourney as a Class C & Class B school. 2nd in titles only to Joe Russo.

I bet most coaches would add a week of three games to play this in a tourney bracket at the Expo, the way life should be. The halftime Hot Shot competition was awesome to watch. I cannot identify if the last 20 years where the MPA made a change that was actually in the players best interests or made the game better. The team from Brookline last night was very good. Disciplined, tough, well coached and relentless. Rocked the Dogs first half.

ExpoEddie: During the late 90's (I retired in 2000) I brought my John Bapst teams down to Joe Russo's tournament at your name sake. Great place to play. Joe brought his Portland team to Bangor for my pre-season John Bapst/Bangor Auditorium tourney. We would play four games in Portland for my first 7 and then I would schedule morning games for my 2nd 7 players with teams in the area. Kids had a great 4 day time. Basketball. basketball, basketball and more basketball.

Before the mpa's insane 5 day rule my Bapst teams would play 14-15 exhibition games along with our regular 18 game heal point schedule plus the mpa tournament games. It used to be local control that decided how many exhibition games we had but as I explained above politics took care of that.
bcbc55

Postby interloper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 pm

This rule was the brainchild of some northern school principals. It wasn't because they weren't invited to go to xmas tournaments. It was because a lot of schools did not want their schools playing so many games. They felt, probably incorrectly, that it was too expensive to travel and play in those games. Also, this proposal was approved by the principals who voted on it. The number of principals that voted on it was probably less than half of the principals int he state.
interloper

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 pm

interloper wrote:This rule was the brainchild of some northern school principals. It wasn't because they weren't invited to go to xmas tournaments. It was because a lot of schools did not want their schools playing so many games. They felt, probably incorrectly, that it was too expensive to travel and play in those games. Also, this proposal was approved by the principals who voted on it. The number of principals that voted on it was probably less than half of the principals int he state.

interloper: Thanks for the help, I stand corrected. But I was close that an area in the state didn't want to partiicpate in Bangor area Christmas tournies and the reasons of travel and expense was just hide behind reasons.

Still was a political reason as a case of the have not's effecting the have's because they couldn't or didn't want to come to the Bangor area for Christmas exhibition games. Poor reason for cutting the exhibition games to 5 dates, especially if only half of the principals in the state voted. mpa should have a revote and see what happens.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 am

It is true that AD's and Principal's participate in the process. I will always believe that life is about choices. Don't want to travel and play more in pre-season, so be it. But to impose same on southern, populated areas is selfish. If they do not want high school sports to be steamrolled by AAU, FIFA, etc. they need to get with the modern times that not only should preseason games be left up to coaches, they should be able to travel out of state for games in-season.

I love hearing from my best friend how Bishop Gorham in Vegas plays football in Florida and California. Same in hoops. The kids out there play 30+ games in basketball. The times have changed, will continue to change and to retard Maine kids from being seen at the national level eventually will erode high school sports. While very, very limited in #'s, elite Maine players have shown they can play at the D1 stage.

Coach Russo loved the pre-season games up to Bangor. There and Lewiston were his favorite.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:It is true that AD's and Principal's participate in the process. I will always believe that life is about choices. Don't want to travel and play more in pre-season, so be it. But to impose same on southern, populated areas is selfish. If they do not want high school sports to be steamrolled by AAU, FIFA, etc. they need to get with the modern times that not only should preseason games be left up to coaches, they should be able to travel out of state for games in-season.

I love hearing from my best friend how Bishop Gorham in Vegas plays football in Florida and California. Same in hoops. The kids out there play 30+ games in basketball. The times have changed, will continue to change and to retard Maine kids from being seen at the national level eventually will erode high school sports. While very, very limited in #'s, elite Maine players have shown they can play at the D1 stage.

Coach Russo loved the pre-season games up to Bangor. There and Lewiston were his favorite.

ExpoEddie: Joe Russo was/is a good basketball friend as well as being an outstanding coach who I root for in AA except when they play Bangor my alma mater. Joe is best high school coach in Maine. I loved going to Portland when I was at John Bapst as it was my favorite place to play in all the exhibition games we played back then (15 a year) and playing in your nickname's palace the "EXPO". Played there in 1955 when I was at Bangor High playing. Great basketball atmosphere and today it is certainly a lot different then back then, but it is still the "EXPO", Eddie. City and Red Claws have certainy turned it into the best basketball playing facility in the state for basketball atmosphere. Love your username...ExpoEddie. Best on MBR for basketball.
bcbc55

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur