Previews:

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Previews:

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:04 am

Central Aroostook brings back veteran talent

MARS HILL, Maine — The more things change for third-year Head Coach Jason Woodworth and his Central Aroostook boys basketball team, the more things stay the same.

Woodworth returns most of his core rotation from a 12-6 squad that earned the No. 4 seed before falling to Southern Aroostook in the Class D North semifinals last season. The majority of the squad’s schedule is comprised of familiar Class D competition once again, with the notable additions of Class C opponents Houlton and Fort Kent now in the mix. The Panthers will feature another fast, guard-heavy lineup that puts an emphasis on pushing the pace whenever possible.

Despite those consistencies, Woodworth is still doing his best to prepare his team for the transition to Class C hoops.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/23/sports/c ... an-talent/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:06 am

Houlton Shire boys have size, talent to succeed

HOULTON, Maine — A year ago, the Houlton boys basketball team tasted what playoff basketball felt like as the team achieved its goal of qualifying for the playoffs. Now the Shires are hungry for more.

Veteran coach Tim Brewer is in his second year with the Houlton program, and 17th overall in his varsity coaching tenure. He spent 15 years with Central Aroostook and also had two years as a junior varsity coach in Mars Hill.

“The guys have set a goal for themselves of winning a state championship,” Brewer said. “You have to like that (mentality). I think we should be one of the top five teams in the region.”

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/23/sports/s ... o-succeed/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:08 am

East Grand Viking boys have new coach, new outlook

DANFORTH, Maine — For the second straight year, the East Grand boys basketball team will have a new coach calling the shots from the sidelines. Anthony Cropley, an alum of East Grand and assistant coach for the past two years, has taken over the Viking program from Anthony Coldwell.

A 1996 graduate of East Grand School Cropley said he was looking forward to the start of a new era of Viking basketball.

“We have three returning seniors, but we also have four freshmen,” the coach said. “So I would say we are kind of rebuilding. I am trying to start the program over, and bring a new outlook to the team.”

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/23/sports/v ... w-outlook/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 am

Caribou Vikes hope for rebound season

CARIBOU, Maine — Before last season, the Caribou Vikings were coming off four consecutive seasons of at least 12 wins, and had qualified for the postseason the previous 11 years.

That streak was snapped as the Vikings finished the 2016-17 season with a 4-14 record and missed out on the playoffs. Having graduated nobody from last year’s team, Head Coach Chris Casavant, who begins his 17th season on the sidelines for the Vikings, is looking for improvement from his still young team.

Including the returning cast, the Vikings also have had an infusion of players from Limestone Community School, which closed and now sends its students to Caribou High School, and from several other newcomers to the school.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/23/sports/v ... nd-season/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:09 am

Greater Houlton Christian Academy: Eagles look to soar this season

...Second-year coach Justin Speirs has a bundle of returning players, augmented by two athletes who missed last season due to injuries, giving the Eagles coach a strong nucleus to build upon.

“My outlook is that we play some very good teams this year and will need to play strongly in every game (to be successful),” coach Speirs said. “Having played one full year together we have built trust in each other and developed chemistry as a team.”

Last year, the Eagles finished 9-8 in the regular season, earning the No. 8 seed in Class D North. GHCA beat No. 9 Ashland 57-42 in the preliminary round before falling to No. 1 Southern Aroostook 73-50 in the quarterfinals.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/24/sports/e ... is-season/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:10 am

Easton boys under new leadership

...A solid core of players graduated, including Carter Mazerolle, Dustin Lacroix, Hunter Brown, Jordan Doody, Michael Brown and 1,000-point scorer Jacob Flewelling. In addition, last year’s coach, Manny Martinez, has departed.

This year, the team will perform under first year coach Cody Closson, who has a solid basketball background and should bring a lot of enthusiasm and excitement to the gym. Assistant coach Dan Warren is back and Closson will get help from managers Cecilia Ferris and Kate Faloon.

With the number of departing seniors, a lot of new players will be filling key roles on the floor for the Bears. However, the returnees have been a big part of the action in the past and that experience should help

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/24/sports/e ... eadership/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:35 am

Hodgdon boys are young, but talented

...“We will be a young team with limited experience,” said coach Rob Smith, who is entering his eighth season with the team. “Only four of our six returning players saw significant time on the floor. So with a new team will come some changes. We will adapt our offense and defense to our size and our quickness.”

Members of the Hodgdon roster are seniors Dylan Oliver and Wyatt Foster; juniors Andrew Tuttle and Josh Palmer; and sophomores Michael Sanders, Josh Foster, Seth Tapley, Dameon Sanders, Jacob Ritchie and Ethan Carter.

“With all five starters and a majority of our bench graduating, it will a chance for new players to step up and become leading scorers, rebounders and other statistical leaders,” coach Smith said. “Each game will be a learning experience and we will grow in

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/24/sports/h ... -talented/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:54 am

Southern Aroostook Warriors in rebuilding mode this season

...Members of the 2017-18 Warrior squad include juniors Jayden Burpee, Jakob Malone, Garrett Siltz and Steven Rackliff; sophomore Brett Williams; and freshmen Robert Chalmers, Jacob Brooks, Parker Skinner, Xavier Morales and Dawson Noyes.

Burpee and Siltz have the most experience of those returning players and will be called upon to provide veteran leadership as starters for the Warriors. Burpee, who has been injured for much of the preseason, and Siltz both played well coming off the bench for SA last season and the coach is optimistic that both are in line for big seasons.

“If those two kids play up to their potential, we will be OK,” McAvoy said.

He also expects big things from Morales, who was called up last year as an eighth-grader to get some valuable playing experience. Morales will be called upon to be a starter for the Warriors this year. “Xavier is probably the quickest kid on the team, but what he needs is confidence,” the coach said. “I feel that will come given time.”

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/25/sports/w ... is-season/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:01 am

Presque Isle boys look to compete in tough division

...Leading the way for the returning players will be senior guard Griffin Guerrette, according to Coach Terry Cummings. Guerrette has been a mainstay over the past three years and is considered one of the top players in the Class B ranks. Solid defense and the ability to score from anywhere on the floor not only make him a threat, but make the rest of the team better as well. He could face some gimmick defenses to try to impact his performance.

Junior Jonah Hudson was a shutdown defender a year ago and could have a breakout year on the offensive end this season. He has range and quickness that make him a tough defensive assignment.

Junior swingman Jason Dumais is a blue collar player with the work ethic to get things done on both ends of the court. Junior center/forward Trace Cyr saw limited action a year ago but should be in the mix all year.

Senior guard Jack Bonville has worked hard on his game in the off-season and has looked good in the early going. Senior guard/forward Jack Beaulieu is another “do whatever you ask” player, according to Cummings He is currently recovering from an ankle injury but should see quality minutes.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/25/sports/p ... -division/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:41 am

Washburn boys team gaining more experience

WASHBURN, Me (WAGM) - The Washburn boys basketball team is still looking for its first win of the season. The Beavers feel they have been improving and hope to see that progress pay off soon.

"I think we definitely work a lot better as a team. Last year we had a few individuals that shared the ball with each other. This year we move the ball a lot more as a team," said junior Noah White.

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/Wa ... 43713.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur