Oceanside: should make loud noise in Class B

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Oceanside: should make loud noise in Class B

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:00 am

Long in talent, athleticism, Mariners sail against Ellsworth
Oceanside hones skills in preseason game, should make loud noise in Class B

...ROCKLAND — Now back in Class B, the Oceanside boys basketball team appears long, lean, athletic and especially talented, which may, when all is said and done, mean continued strong — and maybe even the highest levels of — postseason success.

The Mariners' depth, quickness, height and overall talent was on full display against visiting Ellsworth on Friday night, Dec. 1 in a preseason court clash.

Oceanside sailed sailed away from the Eagles early to take control.

A link to more photos from this game will appear later with this story.

Watch video below.

Although the final score was unavailable, it is known Oceanside tallied 71 points and led 25-13, 40-21 and 58-35 at the quarter breaks.

It appears the Mariners, who annually challenged for the Class A North title, will be able to beat Class A and B opponents with a variety of methods — scoring inside, driving to the hoop and drilling 3-pointers. Defensively the Mariners, especially tall (they even have a 6-foot 4-inch point guard), will defend the rim and also have shorter, pesky perimeter defenders.

https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/long-in- ... th/1708876
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Oceanside: should make loud noise in Class B

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Will Oceanside be able to give the Hermon Hawks a battle, MOST everybodies favorite to win Eastern Maine Class B championship.?????????????????????????

Will find out during the regular season as they play twice, first game at Hermon, Saturday, December 23 and at Oceanside on Saturday, January 13 at 1:00pm and the December 23rd game at 7:00pm.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Hozball22 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Hermon at Oceanside, January 13th, Varsity Boys are currently scheduled for a 1pm game. Would love to see this as a 7pm game though, because it should be one of the best regular season games to watch. It has been a Long time since these teams have played in the regular season, we did have the 1 v 8 playoff game 4 years back(ouch,haha) In my opinion, the KVAC cross over games are great for both conferences, and bring a new excitement to B. Again, only an opinion, but with B North having so many teams, it's foolish to be playing A or C teams. Would help purify the heal points for playoffs, remove depency on success or failure of other class teams. Kudo's to both conferences for experimenting with this. We did the same during Soccer and to me seemed to be a positive. Coach Cim, to answer your question, Oceanside can definitely give the Hawks a battle. I've watched most of those boys play up through the years and they are good. They are also the only squad that may be able to match up in length as well. Looking forward to a great season, best of luck to all.
Hozball22

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Hozball22 wrote:Hermon at Oceanside, January 13th, Varsity Boys are currently scheduled for a 1pm game. Would love to see this as a 7pm game though, because it should be one of the best regular season games to watch. It has been a Long time since these teams have played in the regular season, we did have the 1 v 8 playoff game 4 years back(ouch,haha) In my opinion, the KVAC cross over games are great for both conferences, and bring a new excitement to B. Again, only an opinion, but with B North having so many teams, it's foolish to be playing A or C teams. Would help purify the heal points for playoffs, remove depency on success or failure of other class teams. Kudo's to both conferences for experimenting with this. We did the same during Soccer and to me seemed to be a positive. Coach Cim, to answer your question, Oceanside can definitely give the Hawks a battle. I've watched most of those boys play up through the years and they are good. They are also the only squad that may be able to match up in length as well. Looking forward to a great season, best of luck to all.

"Hozball22": Thanks for the 1:00pm correction for the Saturday, January 13th game.

If both teams are even talent and size wise then I have to go with all that Hermon father/son coaching experience.

"22" got to get this for all the Rockland area coastal basketball fans. Remember, Oceanside (Rockland) had never won an Eastern Maine or State title until Chris Elkington got there and they won 3 Eastern Maine B Championships and a B State title along with almost upsetting undefeated number 1 B seed John Bapst losing 32-30 slow down game by the Tigers in the 1993 Eastern Maine final after losing to them twice in the regular season by over 20 both games. Elkington was in Rockland for 6 years from 1987 thru 1993 with 4 appearances in the tourney, 4 appearances in the Eastern Maine Finals, 3 Eastern Maine Tournament Championships and 1 state championship.

Oceanside finally won an Eastern Maine Tournament in Class A North in 2016 to break that long streak of not winning a regional title before ELK got there and after he left.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 am

Oceanside won A North in 2016.

The KVAC-Big East crossovers are great. They’re mostly for the KVAC schools to fill out the Class B portion of their schedules. The only exception is the county schools. I get they’ll always have to travel, but it seems unfortunate for Presque Isle to pick up two games against Belfast after dropping Fort Kent. Oceanside has Hermon and MDI for a pair. Talk about a heavy handed welcome back to B.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

dunbar wrote:Oceanside won A North in 2016.

The KVAC-Big East crossovers are great. They’re mostly for the KVAC schools to fill out the Class B portion of their schedules. The only exception is the county schools. I get they’ll always have to travel, but it seems unfortunate for Presque Isle to pick up two games against Belfast after dropping Fort Kent. Oceanside has Hermon and MDI for a pair. Talk about a heavy handed welcome back to B.

dunbar: Thanks for the correction. Forgot about that one.
Still no state championship though.
bcbc55

Postby circle6 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

As for the game between oceanside and hermon to be played in rockland, i would go with the mariners. the gym has all the feel of a boxing ring. a lot of favored teams seem to wilt there. if you plan to attend that game, get your ticket in advance or arrive a day earlier.
circle6

Postby Class C Dad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I've been watching this Oceanside team since they played travel ball in 3rd grade. The length, talent and chemistry is there to challenge Hermon for Class B North Title. I think MDI is probably the number 3 team in the North
Class C Dad

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 pm

circle6 wrote:As for the game between oceanside and hermon to be played in rockland, i would go with the mariners. the gym has all the feel of a boxing ring. a lot of favored teams seem to wilt there. if you plan to attend that game, get your ticket in advance or arrive a day earlier.

circle6: Good to see you back on MBR. You are so correct that Rockland Gym is a very tough place to play as a visiting team. Definite home court advantage.
bcbc55

Postby circle6 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
circle6 wrote:As for the game between oceanside and hermon to be played in rockland, i would go with the mariners. the gym has all the feel of a boxing ring. a lot of favored teams seem to wilt there. if you plan to attend that game, get your ticket in advance or arrive a day earlier.

circle6: Good to see you back on MBR. You are so correct that Rockland Gym is a very tough place to play as a visiting team. Definite home court advantage.
Good to be back,Cim. I experienced a major stroke in August, so I'm still working at getting my high school basketball bearings back together again.
circle6

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur