Nick Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Nick Mayo looks to the season, and his hoops future

Postby circle6 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 am

Like you Cim I like to add comments on some of the topics. Maine is not a hot bed for producing NBA players or D1 recruits for that that matter. Mayo has done very well and has made a lot of Maine basketball fans proud. California followed by Texas produce the most native born sons that play in the NBA. The reason is pretty obvious, population. By per capita they both pale in comparison to Washington D.C. or distant second, Louisiana . The reason is obvious in those regions as well, basketball is a way of life for kids there. Very few other options, poverty surviving single family moms aren't taking their sons on vacations to Europe or mountain ski resorts. I think it is great these impoverished kids take their game to a level where they can earn athletic scholarships to colleges and universities. However, if the goal is only to make it to a fat multi million dollar contract in the NBA it is like most of us playing powerball expecting to win the jackpot. I would certainly support any player's decision to play a pro sport for money ,however small , if they were given a chance. Hope they would know when to hang it up as a few people i have known when they realized they had gone as far as they could.
circle6

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 pm

circle6 wrote:Like you Cim I like to add comments on some of the topics. Maine is not a hot bed for producing NBA players or D1 recruits for that that matter. Mayo has done very well and has made a lot of Maine basketball fans proud. California followed by Texas produce the most native born sons that play in the NBA. The reason is pretty obvious, population. By per capita they both pale in comparison to Washington D.C. or distant second, Louisiana . The reason is obvious in those regions as well, basketball is a way of life for kids there. Very few other options, poverty surviving single family moms aren't taking their sons on vacations to Europe or mountain ski resorts. I think it is great these impoverished kids take their game to a level where they can earn athletic scholarships to colleges and universities. However, if the goal is only to make it to a fat multi million dollar contract in the NBA it is like most of us playing powerball expecting to win the jackpot. I would certainly support any player's decision to play a pro sport for money ,however small , if they were given a chance. Hope they would know when to hang it up as a few people i have known when they realized they had gone as far as they could.

O6: Very interesting, informative, relevant and timely post. Good advice for highly skilled college D-1 players who have that big dream to escape their environment. Sound advice.

Plus, get the college degree sometime, like during the off seasons and online if they make the NBA. Never know when an career ending injury could occur.
bcbc55

Postby hoops88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:25 pm

Lost 6 straight now. Mayo did score 21.

Something is missing though.
hoops88

Postby hoops88 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am

Holy cow. 36 points including 7 for 10 from behind the 3 pt line, but still results in their 7th straight loss.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/ut-marti ... 802080180/

Story: http://www.lex18.com/story/37464986/may ... econd-shot
hoops88

Postby augie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 pm

I know it's tough to have to sit out a year when transferring but is there any shot Mayo might do this and go to a Big Time program or UMaine? Just kidding about UMaine :D :D :D but not about a Big Time program alas Kentucky, Louisville, etc.
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 pm

augie wrote:I know it's tough to have to sit out a year when transferring but is there any shot Mayo might do this and go to a Big Time program or UMaine? Just kidding about UMaine :D :D :D but not about a Big Time program alas Kentucky, Louisville, etc.

augie: If he is really serious about the NBA he would transfer to a big time program even though he would have to sit out year. Remember he was 17 when he graduated from HS and should have gone to prep school for a year and he could of ended up at a big tine in the beginning.

A year off would give him time to develop more as a face the basket player.
bcbc55

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 pm

If he is 6' 9" and has 15 foot+ range, I like his chances at continuing to play high level ball in the future.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby tarheel5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 pm

The top 25 teams have two or three guys better than him. The next 50 have one or two. He's a good player, but it's likely that none of guys on this all-conference team get drafted. He can probably latch on somewhere overseas. Caner-Medley is making a million a year in Spain.
tarheel5

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 am

EKUHoops
Verified account
@EKUHoopse
.@1nmay0 moved past Turk Tillman (1978-80) and Corey Walden (2012-15) to No. 8⃣ on EKU's all-time scoring list last night (1,533 career points)!
Hear @Gstotelmyer's call when the junior hit the milestone: http://bit.ly/2Ct8GGy
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby hoops88 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 am

Mayo finished the season strong. This kid really is the best player out of Maine in quite a while. I just wish he was on a winning program. Would love to see him in the National tournament.

http://www.richmondregister.com/sports/ ... c5c14.html

I'll edit this to add, I hadn't noticed this. They fired EKU Hoops coach. Wonder how that will affect Mayo...

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/ ... 37849.html
hoops88

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur