Nick Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Nick Mayo looks to the season, and his hoops future

Postby oscar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm

I agree prep school will help many Maine kids trying to get to the Div I level for all those reasons you stated. He picked his level and it sounds like it has been a good decision for him. NBA is a much different animal . I have not seen much of him a few video's love to see it just don't believe a year of prep is the deciding factor.
oscar

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

oscar wrote:I agree prep school will help many Maine kids trying to get to the Div I level for all those reasons you stated. He picked his level and it sounds like it has been a good decision for him. NBA is a much different animal . I have not seen much of him a few video's love to see it just don't believe a year of prep is the deciding factor.

oscar: Not for the NBA, but he might have gone at least mid major and maybe into the top 50 major level that way.if he had gone to prep school. But we will never know and if he decided to transfer now he would have to sit out a year and then he might go top 50 major.

Wish him good luck in matter he decides to do. At the least he is going to be able to make a good living playing the game somewhere. Who knows some Americans have gone overseas after graduating from college with no NBA feelers and improved enough to come back and play in the NBA (Not Basketball Anymore) league or (Nothing But Athletes) league.
bcbc55

Postby hoops88 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am

Another 3 game slide for EKU. Mayo's scoring average seems to be back down to the mid-teens as the freshman guard Boyd seems to be emerging as a shooter so the scoring is more distributed. Haven't seen their games but their opponents seem to score at will against them. No good defense?
hoops88

Postby circle6 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:15 am

I agree with most of you basketball pundits that post on here that Mayo has a bright future in basketball after he graduates from college. I doubt very much if he will be a high draft pick, if he is drafted at all.He certainly has the necessary skills ,along with size and mentality to play in the NBA. There are a lot of NBA players that couldn't hold a candle to him when it comes to ball handling, passing, rebounding, shooting ,or playing defense. However, they are heads and shoulders above him when it would come down to endorsing sneakers or looking suave in gold chains.
circle6

Postby hoops88 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:12 pm

He'll play in Europe. I don't think he is as good as Taylor Coppenrath was, and Coppenrath wasn't even drafted, but played for 10 years in Europe.

His next two games are against the #1 and #2 teams in the OVC. So we will see how they do.
hoops88

Postby hoops88 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

5 game slide now. Destroyed by the OVC #1 team Belmont by 35. I just hope he doesn't lose his desire to play after this season.
hoops88

Postby mario_spaghettio » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Mayo sold his soul to the devil when he chose EKU.
mario_spaghettio

Postby augie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:14 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:Mayo sold his soul to the devil when he chose EKU.

where do you think he should have gone to school?
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm

augie wrote:
mario_spaghettio wrote:Mayo sold his soul to the devil when he chose EKU.

where do you think he should have gone to school?

augie: I'm not mario, but he should have gone to prep school after graduating from high school and he would have ended up at a major not low major school of the 351 D-1 teams. I would have liked to have seen him go to UMaine if he didn't go to prep school.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Nick Mayo's facts and stats:
PPG. 16.1
Minutes pg 33.8
Games 24
Reb pg 6.8
Assist pg 2.4
FG% 50.7%
3 pt% 40.2%
FS% 82.2%
Turniers pg 3.0
Blocks per game 1.4 pg

Eastern Kentucky Realtimerpi.com Team RPI rankings out of 351 D-1 teams 267 SOS (strength of schedule ranking) 221
Ohio Valley Conference RPI rankin gout of 32 conferences in D-1 21 SOS 21.

Compare to UMaine Team RPI 332 SOS 274
America East RPI 23 SOS 27

Ohio Valley divided into 2 divisions of 6 teams each Eastern Kentucky is 6th by Team RPI and 4th in W-L standings 2-7 in the Eastern Division.

Last game EK got hammered by first place team Belmont in Eastern Division of Ohio Valley 98-65.

EK is 2-7 in conference play and 6-19 against D-1 teams
Maine is 2-7 in conference and 3-19 against D-1 teams

EK is in 4th place team RPI and last place in W-L standings in thee 6 team Eastern Division of the 2 6 team divisions of the Ohio Valley

Maine is 8th place in AE conference by W-L standngs but last place 9th in team RPI.

Possible negative for NBA prospects is that he has not been able ti lead the Colonels any better in fact is not as good as his freshmen and sophomore years.

For NBA prospects might want to considerto transfer up the D- ladder to a major level of the 351 D-1 teams, otherwise may have to go overseas if he wants to play professionally.

Several American D-1 players who did not get drafted by the NBA have gone over seas and then returned to the country to play in the NBA based on their play overseas.

Had he gone to prep school he probably would have been recruited and signed by a major level D-1 team, but that is water under the bridge. That is why if he transferred now he would have to sit out a year but probably would be recruited and signed by a major level D-1 team. Only negative difference in going to prep school would be he can't play any games transferring only allowed to practice.

Also, EK will probably not get to play in the conference tournament this year so that eliminates his any chances of playing in the Big Dance or NIT this season and probably neither will Maine.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur