THE BEST EVER: Mims over Medley ? or Bedard or ...

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: THE BEST EVER: Mims over Medley ? or Bedard or ...

Postby Miren » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Good eye hawk eye. :lol:
Miren

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Peter Gavett 6'7" with a 7 foot 2 inch wingspan point guard lead Orono High School to an undefeated 22-0 season state championship in 1969. Was named to several high school All-American post season teams. Made Sunkist top 40 high school players in The Country.

Had over 60 D-1 offers, many from top 50 schools. Decided to stay in his home town and play at UMaine because he wanted his family to be able to see him play.

He lead old Yankee Conference with Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine in scoring his junior and senior years (most points scored and per game average) and was in the top 10 offensive categories both years. Remember freshmen were not eligible to play back then.

However, it was not his offense but his defense that made him one of the best, if not the best defensive player in Maine high school and college basketball history. Had to guard Massachusetts "Dr. J" Juluis Irving and held the Doctor to under 20 points once.

If you had a 1 on 1 contest with all the best of Maine's all time greats he would win it, because of his long arm span and reach. He could play off a defender and still take the shot away and if he got beat off the dribble he could still come in and pin the ball off the backboard on a drive.

I have seen all mentioned in this column play and none were close to being the defensive player that Gavett was.

His man-to-man defense versus one on one's was what made him a great team player and having point guard skills at his size in that era was unheard of in Maine.

JMO...Just My Opinion.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 pm

The evaluation said best ever to come out of Maine. Not limited to high school and college careers. Best ever NCM. By far the best college career and was so smart to go where the $ was and not be a G League or 9 thru 12 in the NBA. He has played in the best leagues and named MVP. It is hard when you go from one decade to the next. I will take Matt Donahue as the greatest scorer in Maine High School Hoops. The game he dropped 54 versus Deering, would be 80+ with 3 point shot. Guarded by Bobby Nutter and Ed Flaherty. Robert Pills bury 2nd best. Missed a whole year when he had no home to live in and a child and would easily have passed Mims.

Gavett was special, but my nod goes to Jim Beattie a few years later. Jim and Jon Stovall best athletes I have seen play.
ExpoEddie

Postby Miren » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Stanley Wright 6'9 1981 Cheverus was the most dominant HS player I ever see.
Miren

Postby Miren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am

Mayo Named to Lou Henson Award Watch List.
http://ekusports.com/news/2017/11/9/m-b ... -list.aspx
Miren

Postby geezil » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

The phrase "in high school" applies to get one off the hook, but something really happened immediately after the high school season. Take your pick: growth spurt, Parker, playing with (and against) some of the best, or just figuring it out--I'll take them all!!

Other than that, I like Joe from Georgetown (None of whom mentioned in this thread qualifies as the most exciting player to watch). This should pixx off a few.
geezil

Previous

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur