‘A’, ‘AA’ state finals to be played in Portland

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

‘A’, ‘AA’ state finals to be played in Portland

Postby BDN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 am

Compromise enables ‘A’, ‘AA’ state finals to be played in Portland

...There also may be some sentiment to eventually move the Class AA state championship games to Portland on a more permanent basis, given that AA North and South regional semifinals and finals already are played there — quarterfinals are contested on the home courts of the higher seeds.

Last year’s Class AA boys basketball state final between Portland and South Portland was played in Augusta before a crowd described at less than half-capacity, and given the closer proximity of the majority of Class AA schools to Portland rather than Augusta there is the belief that staging those state finals at the Cross Insurance Arena annually would significantly boost the crowd size for those games.

“I think the statement has been made by the 17 schools involved in AA that at least for now Portland will most likely continue to be the site for North and South (regionals),” Durost said.

“I think they’ve made that conscious decision as we move into the tournament for this year. I think as we move forward after that, a key will be whether America East will want to continue to keep their tournament in Portland.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/20/s ... -portland/
BDN

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur