Answer to triva question on 1st HS summer athletic program

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Answer to triva question on 1st HS summer athletic program

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Asked a trivia question on one of the BLOGS about high school summer sports programs.

What high school and what sport had a summer High School program first Eastern Maine (And maybe the first in the state)?

A Summer of the early 60's (I think it was the summer of 1963 if I remember correctly) Old Town high school held the first summer out door basketball program on a lighted out door tennis court on a private home in Old Town. Old Town had an outdoor basketball court built to be used the following summer, it had lights.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I was coaching at Orono by then and that summer (summer of 1964 I believe) after the Old Town summer league was over they called and asked it I could get some of my players together and come up and play an Old Town summer all-star team.

After doing that my players asked if we could have such a program. So we had a court with no lights set up in the front parking lot. I built the baskets and the supports and backboards were all made of wood and weighted down in the back.

Then we moved the court to a hot top surface designed and built for outdoor basketball with lights behind the high school in Orono and had our summer program there.''Teams did not go indoors until the early 70's

I went to Bangor in the summer of 69 we had an out door high school summer League sponsored by the Bangor Parks and recreation Department on the lighted out door basketball court near the Stillwater Avenue Swimming Pool.

By the next summer 1970 we were running our Bangor summer basketball league again sponsored by the Bangor Parks and Recreation Department indoors at Bangor High School's current "Red" Barry Gymnasium. That was in the summer of 1970.

Just some history of summer high school athletic team programs. Who, when and where.
bcbc55

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur