Have summer school sports gone too far?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Postby WMTW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 am

The MPA study is inconclusive and students feel it should be up to their own desires
http://www.wmtw.com/article/have-summer ... r/11690164
WMTW

Re: Have summer school sports gone too far?

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 pm

WMTW wrote:Have summer school sports gone too far?
The MPA study is inconclusive and students feel it should be up to their own desires

A very timely and needed article. Based on my 40 plus years as a Maine high school varsity basketball coach for 29 years, 1 year as a high school freshmen basketball coach, 3 years as a middle school basketball coach, 3 years as a baseball coach and 6 years as a cross-country coach.

Also, 16 years as an athletic director (5 years in a large public Maine high school 1400 students and 11 years as an athletic director and varsity boys basketball coach in a private high school 400 plus students in the same community as the public high school), a physical education teacher for grades K-12 for 24 years and a physical education department head grades K-12 10 years I feel that multi sport athletes and their coaches and their parents/guardians or even one sport specialization athletes should be informed that the only way that they will be penalized for lack of attendance is that if another teammate athlete in that sport who does attend the summer program improves and passes the non attendee in skill.

Also, athletic directors should make up the summer program schedules so that there are no conflicts between sports for the athlete and for the use of facilities. I always made up the summer programs schedules as the AD.

To me also, the mpa should have the 2 week hiatus for the athletes should be the first 2 weeks of the summer and then 6 weeks for summer programs that then goes directly the fall sports season that 3rd Monday in August. They have to stay in shape for their coming short fall sports 3 week preseason. Easier for athletes to go into a less competitive summer sports 6 week program then into the competitive fall sport season after the 2 week hiatus.

I agree that the athletes and their family should make the summer sport season participation so long as they know the ONLY CONSEQUENCE FOR NOT ATTENDING THEIR HIGH SHOOL SUMMER SPORTS PROGRAM IS THAT a teammate who does attend might pass them skill wise for playing time for the next regular sports season.

They should also know that attendance will not be taken at these summer sessions, except to ask who will be there for the next practice or game so that the coach could prepare accordingly.

Another choice would be to have the mpa extend their current sports season policy is to extend it for the 6 week summer season given the athlete 8 weeks more when they cannot be with their current coaches of each sport that they participate.

Seeing there are many sports camps during the summers, coaches also could give individual improvement/conditioning programs for all of their athletes

After all many summer team sports programs consist of playing games with little practice time team wise or individual wise. Extending the sports season policy would still allow for athletes to attend sports camps of their sport(s) and work on their individual skills on their own or with teammates.

Just my opinions and suggestions base on my many years involved with supervising and coaching summer programs.

Trivia questions. What Maine High school had the first summer athletic team program? When was it? What sport was it?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:23 pm

WMTW wrote:Have summer school sports gone too far?
bcbc55

Postby bulldog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

Coach Cim...wonderful and insightful post and one that I agree with whole heartedly! Very well said and from a player and parent's perspective, I believe your ideas presented are fair.
bulldog

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:41 pm

bulldog wrote:Coach Cim...wonderful and insightful post and one that I agree with whole heartedly! Very well said and from a player and parent's perspective, I believe your ideas presented are fair.

"bulldog": Thanks for the kind words. Glad we agree wholeheartdly.
bcbc55

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur