Great article on emotions of winning/losing

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Great article on emotions of winning/losing

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Great and interesting article on "The pleasure of winning is less than the pain if defeat" by Dr. Charles Krauthammer in the front section of the Bangor Daily News page A5 in Monday's July 3rd paper.

Nice to get some written support of my own personal feelings as a former player and coach about "the elation of winning is not as big as the despair of defeat."

Dr. Krauthammer takes it from youth leagues to the pros.
bcbc55

Re: Great article on emotions of winning/losing

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 am

Coach, is this the piece you're referring to...

Why do they even play the game?

In mathematics, when you’re convinced of some eternal truth but can’t quite prove it, you offer it as a hypothesis (with a portentous capital H) and invite the world, future generations if need be, to prove you right or wrong. Often, a cash prize is attached.

In that spirit, but without the cash, I offer the Krauthammer Conjecture: In sports, the pleasure of winning is less than the pain of losing. By any Benthamite pleasure/pain calculation, the sum is less than zero. A net negative of suffering. Which makes you wonder why anybody plays at all.

Winning is great. You get to hoot and holler, hoist the trophy, shower in champagne, ride the open parade car and boycott the White House victory ceremony (choose your cause).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/c ... 2301f387fb
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Tom Nolette wrote:Coach, is this the piece you're referring to...

Why do they even play the game?

In mathematics, when you’re convinced of some eternal truth but can’t quite prove it, you offer it as a hypothesis (with a portentous capital H) and invite the world, future generations if need be, to prove you right or wrong. Often, a cash prize is attached.

In that spirit, but without the cash, I offer the Krauthammer Conjecture: In sports, the pleasure of winning is less than the pain of losing. By any Benthamite pleasure/pain calculation, the sum is less than zero. A net negative of suffering. Which makes you wonder why anybody plays at all.

Winning is great. You get to hoot and holler, hoist the trophy, shower in champagne, ride the open parade car and boycott the White House victory ceremony (choose your cause).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/c ... 2301f387fb

Tom: Yes it is. Thanks for posting it. CIM
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm

This article has it all wrong. The pain or disappointment is never the focus. Competing to be the best you can be, or even more than you imagined is the driver. The pain or despair of losing is not scary, the thought of not being able to compete is much scarier or painful. And those times you do win it all, that feeling of satisfaction stays with you for a lifetime. The ones that do hurt and last longer, are the times you knew you were the best, and lost. This is where character and respect have been lost. You look the winners in the eye, tell them congrats and respect that they brought a game that beat your best that night.

I knew on most nights John Jordan would outplay me, great player, great guy, great competitor. But that one game I might hold him under 30 gave my team a chance to win. That's why you play. Then I got Chris Jerome and we never lost!
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:45 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:This article has it all wrong. The pain or disappointment is never the focus. Competing to be the best you can be, or even more than you imagined is the driver. The pain or despair of losing is not scary, the thought of not being able to compete is much scarier or painful. And those times you do win it all, that feeling of satisfaction stays with you for a lifetime. The ones that do hurt and last longer, are the times you knew you were the best, and lost. This is where character and respect have been lost. You look the winners in the eye, tell them congrats and respect that they brought a game that beat your best that night.

I knew on most nights John Jordan would outplay me, great player, great guy, great competitor. But that one game I might hold him under 30 gave my team a chance to win. That's why you play. Then I got Chris Jerome and we never lost!

expoeddie: Love that user name. Great place to play, the EXPO, played there in High School in 1955. Had a balcony all around it.

Excellent response. Many great points and I agree with some of them.

My response pertains to how it is after a one and done, win or go home tournament game. Maine High School Tournament, One winning team and 7 losing teams in defeat, if there are prelims games more teams go out in defeat.

NCAA Big dance 1 winner 63 plus losers in defeat.

Enjoyed your response.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Wow. When we played the balcony was gone. Rumor is there is talk about a big restoration that includes the balcony coming back. Boxing there in the 60's and 70's was legendary too. Joe Russo gave me a piece of pipe from the original black hoop stations that graced the Expo. He kept the pipes for something down the road when they were going to toss them out.

Expo Eddie was a big part of our lives in the 70's while we were at PHS. He roamed the halls and told us how great we were no matter what. Eddie Bog. Sr. instilled in all of us to look after him.
ExpoEddie

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Expo Eddie was also a big fan of Chief Jay Strongbow. I would always see him at any event I went to in the 60's and 70's. Boxing, basketball, wrestling. he would be there. The only person I have seen more at the Expo would be that announcer guy Peter Gribbin.

AB
Archer Bunker

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur