Zero Gravity Nationals: June 9-11

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Zero Gravity Nationals: June 9-11

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 am

ZG Finals - Varsity Division Recap

With pool play concluding in the morning, bracket play began in all age groups on Sunday afternoon throughout southeast Massachusetts. More than 700 teams were narrowed down a handful of teams who won their pool, and the following navigated the talent-filled playoff field & earned the right to be crowned Zero Gravity National Champions on Sunday afternoon.

In the varsity division, the quarterfinals featured Project Triple Threat (PTT) vs. New England Playaz. Ty Thomas paced PTT early, creating offense for himself and for others. The Playaz depth wore PTT down as the game went on, as Chris Doherty came in and helped the Playaz pick up the energy. Chris Herren hit several big shots, and the Playaz advanced to the semis to face the Middlesex Magic.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... on-recap-1
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby coach hath » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm

I kind of miss ole Speed's write ups to keep us informed during the AAU season of who is playing well and for what teams, etc.
I am not nearly the writer with the attention to detail, but my son has played a lot of AAU tournaments this spring so I have seen many of the Maine teams play including all of the Blue Wave teams listed here as well as all of the Maine Renegades teams. Also liked what I saw from the XL thunder 8th graders, CM hoops 6th (coach McCullough out of Gilman St.), and YES 7th and 8th. Northeast Elite has a combination of Maine and NH players and had some impressive teams too. Their 8th grade team was very talented. I have seen some good talent on some of the Next Level teams as well.
It is great to see more kids improving their games and playing top competition in the offseason. While there might be more teams/clubs spreading out the talent, there are a lot of kids on the courts trying to get better!
Blue Wave has had a great season. The 4th grade Bedard team played up a lot and performed well. The 6th grade team is extremely talented and has repped well all over New England. The 9th grade team with Hussein is loaded and the 10th and high school teams performed very well all over New England, including a very impressive weekend at the Gym Rat Challenge in Albany. On the 10th team, Wol is such an impressive athlete, and I am always amazed at how well Lovejoy from Kennebunk scores the ball. Terion Moss continues to show why he is the top point guard in Maine, and the shooters they have around him on the 17u team are fun to watch too!
Coach Simonds Renegades program took a big step forward this year. The 5th grade team was one of the tops in Maine and both of the 7th grade teams performed well all spring... all 3 teams with impressive performances at Nationals this weekend....Coach McKenney's 7th grade squad made it to the semi's. The Renegades also had two 8th grade teams, two 10th grade teams, and their 9th grade team compete at national's this weekend. Coach is building an impressive club from the ground up.
The 8th/10th A teams (they travel together with Coach Simonds so I see them every weekend) also competed in the Gym Rat Challenge and both had strong showings. 8th team went 2-1 in pool play, losing to a very good Albany City Rocks A team (google Dior Johnson their point guard) in a hard fought game that was within 6 pts until they put a good run on us in the last 10 minutes to win by 20.. The 10th grade team won their pool going 3-0 before losing by 3 in the playoffs. Matt Fleming and Nick Fiorillo were selected to the all tournament team for 10th, and Wyatt Hathaway and Cooper Davis for 8th.
This weekend at Nationals both teams went 3-0 in their pool. The 8th grade team was undermanned, bringing only 7 guys, and point guard Cash McClure suffered an injury vs. City Rocks B team in the 2nd game. They still scored a huge 1 point upset in that game though in a back forth battle on a buzzer beater. They eventually ran out of gas and lost by 3 in their first round playoff game to a talented Bay State Jaguars squad out of the Newton/Boston area. At full strength, the 8th graders have some very talented guards, a couple of pure shooters, athletic bigs, and Davis, the big lefty in the middle.
The 10th graders won an exciting triple overtime game vs. a team from CT in game 3, then won their 1st round playoff game before losing by 9 in the 2nd round. A lot of fun to watch Fleming from OH and Fiorillo from Scarb. on the floor together. Two talented kids with size, length, basketball IQ, and the ability to shoot with range with some good role players around them. Carpenter from Cape has a nice all around game and really improved over the course of the year.
Kudos to all of these guys for their commitment to hoops!
8th grade Renegades roster
Wyatt Hathaway-Leavitt, Joziah Learned-Leavitt, Cash McClure-Maranacook, Elias Bergdahl-Maranacook, Gavin McArthur-Gardiner, Cooper Davis-Mt. Valley, Casey Cormier-Mt.Valley, Jacob Humphrey-BE, Grant Nadeau-Gorham, Bode Meader-Gorham, Matt Parent-Messo, and Liam Grass-Lake Region
10th grade Renegades roster
Matt Fleming-OH, Garrett Record-OH, Cam Wood-Winthrop, Nate Leblanc-Winthrop, Mitch Root-Maranacook, Tucker Charles-Messo, Jared Balser-Mt.Ararat, Tanner Carpenter-Cape, Keegan Davis-Mt. Valley
coach hath

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm

coach hath wrote:I kind of miss ole Speed's write ups to keep us informed during the AAU season of who is playing well and for what teams, etc.
I am not nearly the writer with the attention to detail, but my son has played a lot of AAU tournaments this spring so I have seen many of the Maine teams play including all of the Blue Wave teams listed here as well as all of the Maine Renegades teams. Also liked what I saw from the XL thunder 8th graders, CM hoops 6th (coach McCullough out of Gilman St.), and YES 7th and 8th. Northeast Elite has a combination of Maine and NH players and had some impressive teams too. Their 8th grade team was very talented. I have seen some good talent on some of the Next Level teams as well.
It is great to see more kids improving their games and playing top competition in the offseason. While there might be more teams/clubs spreading out the talent, there are a lot of kids on the courts trying to get better!
Blue Wave has had a great season. The 4th grade Bedard team played up a lot and performed well. The 6th grade team is extremely talented and has repped well all over New England. The 9th grade team with Hussein is loaded and the 10th and high school teams performed very well all over New England, including a very impressive weekend at the Gym Rat Challenge in Albany. On the 10th team, Wol is such an impressive athlete, and I am always amazed at how well Lovejoy from Kennebunk scores the ball. Terion Moss continues to show why he is the top point guard in Maine, and the shooters they have around him on the 17u team are fun to watch too!
Coach Simonds Renegades program took a big step forward this year. The 5th grade team was one of the tops in Maine and both of the 7th grade teams performed well all spring... all 3 teams with impressive performances at Nationals this weekend....Coach McKenney's 7th grade squad made it to the semi's. The Renegades also had two 8th grade teams, two 10th grade teams, and their 9th grade team compete at national's this weekend. Coach is building an impressive club from the ground up.
The 8th/10th A teams (they travel together with Coach Simonds so I see them every weekend) also competed in the Gym Rat Challenge and both had strong showings. 8th team went 2-1 in pool play, losing to a very good Albany City Rocks A team (google Dior Johnson their point guard) in a hard fought game that was within 6 pts until they put a good run on us in the last 10 minutes to win by 20.. The 10th grade team won their pool going 3-0 before losing by 3 in the playoffs. Matt Fleming and Nick Fiorillo were selected to the all tournament team for 10th, and Wyatt Hathaway and Cooper Davis for 8th.
This weekend at Nationals both teams went 3-0 in their pool. The 8th grade team was undermanned, bringing only 7 guys, and point guard Cash McClure suffered an injury vs. City Rocks B team in the 2nd game. They still scored a huge 1 point upset in that game though in a back forth battle on a buzzer beater. They eventually ran out of gas and lost by 3 in their first round playoff game to a talented Bay State Jaguars squad out of the Newton/Boston area. At full strength, the 8th graders have some very talented guards, a couple of pure shooters, athletic bigs, and Davis, the big lefty in the middle.
The 10th graders won an exciting triple overtime game vs. a team from CT in game 3, then won their 1st round playoff game before losing by 9 in the 2nd round. A lot of fun to watch Fleming from OH and Fiorillo from Scarb. on the floor together. Two talented kids with size, length, basketball IQ, and the ability to shoot with range with some good role players around them. Carpenter from Cape has a nice all around game and really improved over the course of the year.
Kudos to all of these guys for their commitment to hoops!
8th grade Renegades roster
Wyatt Hathaway-Leavitt, Joziah Learned-Leavitt, Cash McClure-Maranacook, Elias Bergdahl-Maranacook, Gavin McArthur-Gardiner, Cooper Davis-Mt. Valley, Casey Cormier-Mt.Valley, Jacob Humphrey-BE, Grant Nadeau-Gorham, Bode Meader-Gorham, Matt Parent-Messo, and Liam Grass-Lake Region
10th grade Renegades roster
Matt Fleming-OH, Garrett Record-OH, Cam Wood-Winthrop, Nate Leblanc-Winthrop, Mitch Root-Maranacook, Tucker Charles-Messo, Jared Balser-Mt.Ararat, Tanner Carpenter-Cape, Keegan Davis-Mt. Valley

coach hath: Thanks for doing this post. Very well written and informative. Nice to know how players are doing especially now as it is getting nearer the AAU Nationals.

I too miss Speed's AAU posts, but you did a very good job filling in.

Wish we had someone up in the greater Bangor Area that would keep us basketball fans informed about how players in our area are doing during the AAU spring season March thru today.

I would say our basketball area covers Newport north to Bangot to Fort Kent and to Downeast. Now that Bangor is the only AA school maybe we don't have as many players playimg.

I know that Maine Blackbears in Eastern Maine are very active.

When I was coaching high school basketball in the greater Bangor area I always encouraged my better players to try out for AAU in their age group.

Also, when I got out of coaching in 2000 I went back into reffing and used to travel Bangor to Saco (Howard's Sports) to do 6-7 AAU games each day on Saturdays and Sundays, during March thu to Early June.

Always been a big supporter for AAU fall, spring and summer AAU.

I also know Coach Simonds as I used to ref his college games at the Old St. Joe's "Den of Horrors".

Again, thanks for the post. I really enjoyed it and found it interesting and informative.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:25 am

ZG Finals - 9th Grade Division Recap

With pool play concluding in the morning, bracket play began in all age groups on Sunday afternoon throughout southeast Massachusetts. More than 700 teams were narrowed down a handful of teams who won their pool, and the following navigated the talent-filled playoff field & earned the right to be crowned Zero Gravity National Champions on Sunday afternoon.

Two of the better point guards in the 9th grade division squared off in the quarterfinals, with Quest Harris of BABC and Bensley Joseph of NE Playaz going at it. Both went back and forth with impressive drives, showing that the future of the point guard position is bright in New England. The inside trio of Matt Cross, Qualeem Charles & Kekoa McArdle proved to be too much, as BABC earned their trip to the semis. There, they would face Mass Rivals, who behind the solid play of Jamal Fricas, defeated Expressions South. One needs to see Fricas play several times to really appreciate what a talented young prospect he is evolving...

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... sion-recap
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby coach hath » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am

Cim
I have seen Black Bear North in the gyms a few teams but haven't seen many of their games. I think Coach Parker is working with those guys maybe he can shed some light. I think Coach Marseille had his crew in the same gym as us in Hanover, Mass and they looked like they had good size. Also saw the Maine Lumberjacks middle school and freshman teams awhile back. Lausier and Raye are very talented!
coach hath

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:33 pm

coach hath wrote:Cim
I have seen Black Bear North in the gyms a few teams but haven't seen many of their games. I think Coach Parker is working with those guys maybe he can shed some light. I think Coach Marseille had his crew in the same gym as us in Hanover, Mass and they looked like they had good size. Also saw the Maine Lumberjacks middle school and freshman teams awhile back. Lausier and Raye are very talented!

coach hath: Thanks for the response and up date on players in Eastern Maine area. Great idea to contact Coach Parker and Coach Marseille.

Thanks again.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby The WIZ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:47 pm

[quote="bcbc55"] I also know Coach Simonds as I used to ref his college games at the Old St. Joe's "Den of Horrors".

Cimmie I also saw many of those Old St. Joe's games. Some great ones especially against Husson. They packed'em in like a can of sardines in that tiny gym. The place went crazy! However it wasn't "Den of horrors" It was "The Chamber of Horrors". Lots of good memories from The Coach Simonds days at St. Joe's.

The WIZ
The WIZ

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 pm

The WIZ wrote:
bcbc55 wrote: I also know Coach Simonds as I used to ref his college games at the Old St. Joe's "Den of Horrors".

Cimmie I also saw many of those Old St. Joe's games. Some great ones especially against Husson. They packed'em in like a can of sardines in that tiny gym. The place went crazy! However it wasn't "Den of horrors" It was "The Chamber of Horrors". Lots of good memories from The Coach Simonds days at St. Joe's.

The WIZ

The Wiz: Thanks for the correction "WIZ", it was the "Chamber of Horrors". Boy that was a very tough place to work and especially with just 2 person crews.

Some great games like you said, did a few Husson-St. Joe's games there and back in Bangor too.

I used to ref both St. Joes @ USM and USM @ St. Joe's the same season for 3 or 4 years in a row.

Simmons coaching @ St. Joe's and Coach Bouchard @ USM and I reffed with the same official, can't remember his name, but he was from the Rumford area.

Both teams wanted officials out of the greater Portland area.

Did you and I ever work together WIZ?

I was reffing from 2000-2014 after retiring from coaching. Also reffed from 1977-87 between coaching at Bangor and John Bapst. Also. did college games when I was coaching at Orono 1968-69 and Bangor 1969-77.

Did you and I ever ref together
bcbc55

Previous

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur