Coaching Candidates - Winslow Black Raiders

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Coaching Candidates - Winslow Black Raiders

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Manny99 wrote:Perhaps FootballPhan, but being a new user on this board, I don't know much about other users (except bcbc55 who has beaten into my brain keyboard stroke by keyboard stroke his every single accomplishment since 1955). And when I said "overmatched chumps" I was referring to all of the Unified Coaches who have nowhere near the coaching credentials as KL. One exception would be Coach Vachon who coaches the Cony Unified team.

Moving along, LoveTheGame writes “I wouldn't be surprised if Winslow ends up with someone they're not expecting.”
Let’s delve into some secondary candidates for the job, not as well known statewide, but certainly capable of find their names attached to a coaching opening.
Here we go with the next level of names:
1. Troy “Goose” Scott – former HC at Skowhegan HS; currently refereeing at various levels. Scott has the experience box checked off on his application, but he has been away from the game for a while. Has he crossed over to the “Dark Side” as an official full time? Would he consider jumping back into a head coaching role? He was one heck of a player and coach. He could do it.
2. Dave Simpson – former HC at Mt. Blue, long time asst coach under the legendary Jimmy Bessey. The ‘Rev’ had a tough transition into the shoes of his mentor. Unrealistic expectations, along an irrational fan base made the job a nightmare. You know what they say about replacing a legend….
3. Ben Willoughby – former HC at Erskine Academy. Ben put a lot of time and effort into the Eagles prior to Coach Bonsant returning. Unfortunately he had no talent, and the team struggled in the W-L column. Like Goose, a good player and has experience as a coach. And I believe that he teaches relatively close to Winslow. Could be a good fit.
4. Zac Ray – let’s face it, it was difficult to watch Ray move away from the community to raised him, taking his talents to Bangor High School in the early 2000’s. He feels the guilt, and is called ‘home’ to lead the Black Raiders into the next decade.
5. Jay Dangler – current assistant coach at Messalonskee HS. Coming off a trip to the State Class A final, Coach McLaughlin’s staff is in high demand. Dangler has been Pete’s right hand man for a few seasons, and is longing to run his own program. His championship pedigree makes him an attractive candidate.
6. Kurtis Bixby – lead assistant coach at Thomas College. Kurt brings some collegiate coaching experience to the job search. A local kid made good, Kurt has coached at Lawrence, Messalonskee and Thomas. He has honed his reputation on post development, and is ready to become the head man. Could be the sleeper candidate that LoveTheGame is referring to.
7. Jason Briggs – former HC at Waterville HS, former AD at Winslow, current assistant principal in Winslow. Nah, see prior post on St. Onge – it won’t happen, although Jason would be a heck of a get for the Black Raiders.

manny99: "his every single accomplishment since 1955".

Only just getting started. A lot more could be coming if you insist. It's just Maine hoop history Man........ny!

Not interested in coaching, but if I was could teach Winslow how to WIN BIG by.............. WIN.........SLOW.
bcbc55

Postby Manny99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Well I'll be darned.... When I need a whooping, I'm the first to admit it. I decided to do a little research, thinking I could pull one over on bcbc55. And lo and behold, look what I found -

http://hussoneagles.com/hof/bios/Robert ... k?view=bio

Congrats Coach Cim - I thought that you were maybe embellishing some things, but the numbers are true. I was also impressed with the homer you hit in baseball. They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball that is moving. Heck, I can't even hit a golf ball which DOESNT move!! And finally, congrats on the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame induction, I stumbled across that as well. Your credentials are legit, no fake news here. Well done bcbc55!
Manny99

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Manny99 wrote:Well I'll be darned.... When I need a whooping, I'm the first to admit it. I decided to do a little research, thinking I could pull one over on bcbc55. And lo and behold, look what I found -

http://hussoneagles.com/hof/bios/Robert ... k?view=bio

Congrats Coach Cim - I thought that you were maybe embellishing some things, but the numbers are true. I was also impressed with the homer you hit in baseball. They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball that is moving. Heck, I can't even hit a golf ball which DOESNT move!! And finally, congrats on the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame induction, I stumbled across that as well. Your credentials are legit, no fake news here. Well done bcbc55!

manny99:

Thank you very much for the compliments.

Don't be too hard on yourself as that was almost 60 years ago. I have a hard time remembering back that far at times.

How about the WIN.......SLOW line? I was lucky I remembered that line. A local sports show host years ago once asked the guest what best described my coaching style at John Bapst and the guest said WIN.....SLOW and because of that the host said he thought I might be successful coaching at WIN.....SLOW.

Thanks again for the kind words.

P.S. I only played baseball my freshmen year at Husson as they needed a catcher and my basketball coach Del Merrill was also the baseball coach so when I heard that they did have a catcher, I volunteered as I had some catching experience.

It was really more like playing dodge (the baseball) ball then it was catching. I must have set a record for passed balls a a Husson Catcher.
bcbc55

Postby baseketball » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Manny99 wrote:P2. Dave Simpson- former HC at Mt. Blue, long time asst coach under the legendary Jimmy Bessey. The ‘Rev’ had a tough transition into the shoes of his mentor. Unrealistic expectations, along an irrational fan base made the job a nightmare. You know what they say about replacing a legend….

Actually Dave Simpson was never head coach at Mt. Blue, but he did do JV for many years. He did do varsity at Skowhegan for a couple years. Did a nice job with Spruce Mt. Middle School this past winter. He may be ready to return to the high school ranks!
baseketball

Postby lovethegame » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Any updates on this? It's still early yet, but didn't know if there might be some rumblings out there.
lovethegame

Postby Manny99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 am

An intriguing name has surfaced in the search to replace Coach Browne - Winslow HS Alum, and former State Championship winning coach, Dennis Dacus. He brings a Championship Pedigree to the Black Raiders, after guiding the Winthrop Ramblers to the Gold Ball back in 2008, with a dominating win over the Calais Blue Devils. The Ramblers also finished that season Nationally Ranked by MaxPreps - http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wi ... inthrop,me)/basketball-winter-07-08/rankings.htm

Dacus is also the former Head Baseball Coach at Cony HS. He has the experience, resume, and the 'local flavor' being a graduate of the school.

I would think that the school will move sooner rather than later, tis the season to start scheduling summer camps and summer games. The Raiders look to be competitive in Class B North again this year. No word on whether Speed is available to be the knowledgeable Senior Adviser on the bench.....
Manny99

Postby lovethegame » Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Any word on this?
lovethegame

Postby TakeChargeAnywhere » Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Is Coach Lindloff in the mix ?
TakeChargeAnywhere

Postby lovethegame » Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Does anybody know if they've even had interviews yet? I'm sure that there must have been a dozen or more applicants and they're probably only interviewing 3-5.
lovethegame

Postby mnm » Tue May 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Rumor has it Dacus didn't get an interview...He coached a lot of these kids on various teams over the years. Seemed like a pretty solid fit to me.
mnm

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur